Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

how to check/test for a short?

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-2013, 12:52 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default how to check/test for a short?

wanting to know how to test/check for a shorted ground. all i have is a cheap multimeter.

here's my issue. 99 em1 turbo threw cel for ckp sensor after tryiong to do brake boost!

checked resistance on ckp sensor/ecu pins/ecu plugs...good...379-400 ohms

installed new aftermarket dizzy

checked continuity...have continuity

wired wires straight from dizzy to ecu pins

checked timming belt and up arrows and dots lined up...have not checked timing yet...i think timing is off...cause on hondata smanager it says ignition is 59/60!!!

checked/cleaned three main grounds in engine bay and thermostat housing...have good ground....02 volts/002 ohms

i'm gonna try an oem dizzy...if that doesn't fix the issue than it's like a short to ground or bad ecu.

thanks
Old 07-08-2013, 01:01 PM
The Grumpiest

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts
Default Re: how to check/test for a shorted ground

https://www.google.com/webhp?sourcei...0&bih=933&bs=1
Old 07-08-2013, 01:28 PM
Honda-Tech Member

i read and read and watched some videos on youtube on how to test for bad/short/good grounds and i think i'm still little confused.

so this is what i did for testing the chassis grounds.

#1 mm on continuity, black lead on neg batt terminal and red lead to nut/bolt/ground wire on engine...and it shows .002 ohms. so i think it's good ground.

#2 mm on 20 dc voltage, same thing as above but mm shows .02 volts...so, it's good ground, i think. at least that's what the guy in the video is saying.

now, on the ckp sensor wires...do they actually send electrical currents to ecu or am i missing something here.

anyway, i tested the ckp wires for short ground the same ways as i mentioned above and got no reading. black probe to negative batt ground/bolts under glove box and red probe to each ckp wires.

also, would a short to ground still have good resistance on sensors and continuity?
Old 07-08-2013, 08:28 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 44 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by WAUKEENEM1
anyway, i tested the ckp wires for short ground the same ways as i mentioned above and got no reading. black probe to negative batt ground/bolts under glove box and red probe to each ckp wires.
This^ is the correct way to check for a short to ground. It appears that there's no short in the circuit.

also, would a short to ground still have good resistance on sensors and continuity?
Yes

Is a CKP CEL code still thrown after resetting the ECU?
Old 07-09-2013, 10:47 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I disconnected neg batt terminal like 3-4 trying different dizzy and swapped ckp sensors. at least 10-30 min before reconnect. start car up, cel comes on.

i was gonna try an oem dizzy but they sent me the wrong one. so, hopefully soon. in the mean time, i'll try testing for short ground again.

ok, let's say it is in fact a shorted ground. would that shorted ground be the ckp ground wire itself, not the other ground wire in the wiring hardness?
Old 07-10-2013, 05:58 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Well, the salvage yard sent me the wrong dizzy. so, might be next week before i get the right one to try and solved this annoying issue.
Old 07-13-2013, 07:28 AM
Honda-Tech Member

installed oem dizzy. start car, cel comes on. same code 4. i guess the next thing is try a different ecu.

i unplugged the cyp wires just to see if another code will come on for that. nope, no additional code comes on for that.

cut two ckp sensor wires from jumper hardness and wired two wires straight to dizzy, still no luck.
Old 07-13-2013, 09:10 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Try pulling the back up fuse out to reset the ecu,it only needs to be out for 2 minutes. What year car is it that your having this problem on?
Old 07-13-2013, 08:35 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by n/a2boost
Try pulling the back up fuse out to reset the ecu,it only needs to be out for 2 minutes. What year car is it that your having this problem on?
i unplugged the batt's neg cable so many times to tried different dizzys and cel still came on every time. i'm not sure if there's a back up fuse. but, i'll check.
car is a 1999 em1 on s300.
well, i tried the ecu in my friend's car and code came on right away. so, i guess the ecu if bad.
wondering if it's repairable or just get a new one? i'm thinking about sending to xenocron to have it check/repair.