Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

How to -change your rear targa top seal-

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-2004, 09:05 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How to -change your rear targa top seal-

Ok since someone asked me how to do this, and it was incredibly easy i thought id do a quick write up on the matter. First off the new seal from honda runs about 240 list price, so if you can somehow glue your seal back into shape and mend any hole's, tears, ext. id strongly sagest doing that first because its clearly not a cheap part. Ill have the part number tomarrow because its a pain to look up for some reason in there computer system, Took em like an hr with me pointing at the part on my car and shaking my head every time they pulled up the same damn seal on the targa tap itself(?). but here we go........

Parts needed:
New Rear Seal Part#XXXXXXXX
plastic Scaper (Aids in removing old adheasive)
Phillips Screw Driver (standard size)
Cleaning Solution (I dont recoment lacquer thinner- Took off everything even the paint! )
Trim Pad Remover (Preferbly or be creative)

ok The removal is very simple:
(1) Start from either side and remove the plastic tabs that hold the bottem corners of the seal away from the body- You have to open the door for this. Discard the clips, you should have new ones with the new seal but check to be sure.

(2) Grasp the seal and slowly pull it out of the side channel running along the rear of the window.

(3) Remove the phillips screw- SAVE THOSE!
(4) Remove the single clip along the top corner semi hidden under the seal.

(5) Gently pull the seal up off of the top of the car.
(6) Repeat steps 4-1 in reverse order
(7) Take your cleaning solution, putty knife, shop rags and clean off all of the old seal that ripped off and is still stuck on the car, you want it to be clean and smooth without any glue residue left. Also you want the new seal to stick well.
(8) lay the old seal on the car, roughly where its gonna be installed.
(9) Starting from either corner start by slipping the lower edge of the seal behind the plastic molding.
(10) remove the sticky backing and push the 3 body clips into place holding the lower corner of the seal into place.
(11) CAREFULLY work the sides of the seal behind the chrome looking trim piece being sure the seals tongue is going behind it locking it into place(Be patient and carefull you dont want to rip it)
(12) Once the side is in place press the single plastic clip into place on the upper corner followed by the screw you saved earlier ( U did save it dident u?)
(13) leave the top most part alone for now and repeat steps 9-12 on the other side.
(14) Now simply press the center of the seal into place and work it out smooth starting from the center out and make sure everything is lined up.

-Note- there were some sticky pieces of paper you have to remove to expose some glue on the new seal in various points i dident mention but once your sure of there proper seating remove the paper and gently press them into place - Double check and then give them a firm push. The install should take you about 20-30 minutes less you went a little overboard with the clean up and took it down to the bare metel in some spots Then it will be longer as youll need to apply touch up paint ext.

Ill add pics tomarow ilistrating the various clip locations. Enjoy~

I tend to over simplfy steps to make it easy for the non technical ppl, Besides you should only use these instructions as a guide anyhow not as a technical bulletin! i take no responsibility for anyone f****ing up there car cause they werent carefull or take my instructions to the letter.........

Modified by nocturnaldragon at 12:13 AM 9/8/2005

Modified by nocturnaldragon at 12:14 AM 9/8/2005
Old 06-14-2004, 09:26 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: How to -change your rear targa top seal- (nocternaldragon)

good writeup. the pics will help.