Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

how can you tell if you have an axle that COULD be going bad?

Old 04-10-2003, 02:09 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default how can you tell if you have an axle that COULD be going bad?

i got a wierd noise comin from my front right, I do have an lsd tranni, but i know what that noise sounds like, also power steering fluid looks a little low

-MAIN POINT: weird rattling noise when accelerating, coming from front right

thanks in advance
Old 04-10-2003, 02:12 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: how can you tell if you have an axle that COULD be going bad? (DanielLaruso)

fill up the power steering fluid to proper levels. and be more specific on where the noise is coming from.

HTH
Old 04-10-2003, 02:26 PM

Default Re: how can you tell if you have an axle that COULD be going bad? (poison)

well i can't be totally sure, cause its only when accelerating, but it's definitly coming from the front right almost like something is loose...could it just be low fluid??
Old 04-10-2003, 02:29 PM

Default Re: how can you tell if you have an axle that COULD be going bad? (DanielLaruso)

What if you have no power steering?

EDIT: Doh, just read that he said his fluid is low, my bad.

I have a few noises too. Do you have a new clutch? My ACT chatters like a bitch from 3-4k because we didn't do the best job installing it.

I think your axles will be creaking and popping if their going bad. Sure you're not just hear your exhaust?
Old 04-10-2003, 02:58 PM

Default Re: how can you tell if you have an axle that COULD be going bad? (fOmaNPu)

yeah, it's a relatively new clutch (new with the swap in january)

-definitly not the exhaust...def. front right.

thanks about the clutch, you think that'd be it?
Old 04-10-2003, 03:04 PM

check the axle boots and see if they are in good shape.
Old 04-10-2003, 03:15 PM

Default Re: how can you tell if you have an axle that COULD be going bad? (poison)

did that too, whats weird is that the the inner drivers side boot does have a small tear somewhere, but not the right
Old 04-10-2003, 03:25 PM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by DanielLaruso &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">did that too, whats weird is that the the inner drivers side boot does have a small tear somewhere, but not the right</TD></TR></TABLE>

hmm, axles in the tranny and also axle nut torqued at the hub?
Old 04-10-2003, 03:27 PM

what?
Old 04-10-2003, 03:29 PM
AMG
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You will only notice a bad axle/CV joint if you arfe turning. If you turn and hear a knocking noise that gets fatser the harder you turn, than you need a new axle. Easiest way to tell is too look at the axles and if they have a tear, then look around at the axle and even the rim because when mine busted alot of fluid/**** lined the inside of my rim.

Just get new axles because they are only like 100.00 $ and a lifetime warrenty too.!
Old 04-10-2003, 03:32 PM

Default Re: how can you tell if you have an axle that COULD be going bad? (Si-G93)

thanks, i might do that, i do hear a clicking noise when turning, but thats the lsd right? or is it?
Old 04-10-2003, 03:59 PM

Does the noise get progessively louder when you accelerate as opposed to just coasting?

My clutch makes alot of noise because there was alot of play in that POS alignment tool that ACT sends ya. It doesn't shift bad or engage weird, it just makes noise, but I'm almost used to it.

Definitely check around the boots for some thick fluid leaking out. If you got the axles with the swap, I'd suggest replacing them anyways. Be careful though, if you have a JDM swap, one of the USDM axles won't mate with your Intermediate Shaft.

S'why I have one place racing axle and one OEM one. Da TRUE hybrid stunna y0!

Gluck
Old 04-11-2003, 08:01 AM

Default Re: how can you tell if you have an axle that COULD be going bad? (fOmaNPu)

good lookin out, how much is a place racing axle??

i do have some thick fluid/grease...but its comin from the left, not the right
Old 04-11-2003, 11:35 AM

I got my place racing for $125 from a local shop. Looks at raxles.com. Maximus is selling a set of two brand new axles in the Classifieds too.

Sounds like that left one is going bad, but its still bothering me why you're getting noise from the front left unless it really is your clutch.
Old 04-13-2003, 03:45 PM
AMG
Honda-Tech Member

"Be careful though, if you have a JDM swap, one of the USDM axles won't mate with your Intermediate Shaft."

Are you sure about that? I have a jdm b18c that is being insatlled this comming weekend and i bought new usdm gsr axles. I am pretty sure there is no problem, but can anyone seconed that?
-Dylan
Old 04-13-2003, 10:53 PM

Default Re: how can you tell if you have an axle that COULD be going bad? (Si-G93)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Si-G93 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote"> [B]Are you sure about that? I have a jdm b18c that is being insatlled this comming weekend and i bought new usdm gsr axles. I am pretty sure there is no problem, but can anyone seconed that?
-Dylan
</TD></TR></TABLE>

Thats the problem we had, I was going to have to get a usdm gsr int shaft for it to work, but isntead I used one custom axle and one USDM one.
Old 04-14-2003, 04:37 AM
GENERAL LEE

jack up one side of the car and have a friend crank the wheel as far as it goes... if it clicks then it is bad... if it doesn't try the other wheel.. PS look for leakage or rips in the boot and etc... and definately fill up your fluids
Old 04-14-2003, 06:00 PM

Default Re: how can you tell if you have an axle that COULD be going bad? (GENERAL LEE)

about those two different axles, i have decided to try and just replace both, but i would like to know if i have to get two different ones before i spend the casheesh
Old 04-14-2003, 06:24 PM
GENERAL LEE

you need a driver and passenger axle (right/left) they are different so make sure your specific.. good luck mang
Old 04-14-2003, 07:15 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by fOmaNPu &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

Thats the problem we had, I was going to have to get a usdm gsr int shaft for it to work, but isntead I used one custom axle and one USDM one.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Did you buy a 1st gen GSR motor ? If so, the older usdm and jdm integra intermediate shafts are a female end for the driver's axle. 94+ GSr's have a male end on both jdm and usdm.

BTW, drivers side has a axle grease leak, so get that fixed (new boot and grease onto the axle...not new axle...unless you wait too long)

If the pass. side is clicking when turning, it's a bad axle...BUT... if the axle was pulled, it may have come apart inside... but that would sound horrifically loud on acceleration. Also, clutch chatter would go away after full engagement.

X2

Old 09-13-2004, 02:13 PM

Default Re: how can you tell if you have an axle that COULD be going bad? (X2BOARD)

I thought i had bad axles, but changed both inner and outer joints and discovered it was my diff bearings going bad Got rumbling noise like bad bearings, worse on rough roads, and bad vibration at the steering wheel 70-80mph. Got bad enopugh now i know its bearings for sure, thought it was shafts first though as these are symptoms of ineers too hope yours isnt diff, You could get the shfts removed and checked, but clicking on corners is usually outers.

no tears doesnt mean good axle for definate, tracks and rollers can still go bad with grease, and grease can thin over time, esepcially if they are old or overheat (common on d series).