Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

How can you tell if the motor is obd0 ,obd1 or obd2??? Need help.

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-2006, 07:11 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How can you tell if the motor is obd0 ,obd1 or obd2??? Need help.

I am going to be geting this motor soon and just wanted to no where to look or how to tell if the motor is obd0, obd1 or obd2 swap. The guy said its obd1 swap with around 45k miles on it and the swap is in 97 civic hb. if anyone can tell me or help out that would be great. thanks

here is a pic of the swap.

Old 10-18-2006, 07:12 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: How can you tell if the motor is obd0 ,obd1 or obd2??? Need help. (EViLSTAR)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by EViLSTAR &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I am going to be geting this motor soon and just wanted to no where to look or how to tell if the motor is obd0, obd1 or obd2 swap. The guy said its obd1 swap with around 45k miles on it and the swap is in 97 civic hb. if anyone can tell me or help out that would be great. thanks

here is a pic of the swap.

</TD></TR></TABLE>

obd 1 = 2 dizzy plugs
obd 2 = 1 dizzy plug

thats all i know right now, im 100% obd 1
Old 10-18-2006, 07:30 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: How can you tell if the motor is obd0 ,obd1 or obd2??? Need help. (Sleepy_Red_hatch)

ok...i know that i should know this by now, but when people say "dizzy" they mean distributor, right? if so, how would a car have two? sorry for the noob question.
Old 10-18-2006, 07:42 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: How can you tell if the motor is obd0 ,obd1 or obd2??? Need help. (pumatec8)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by pumatec8 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">ok...i know that i should know this by now, but when people say "dizzy" they mean distributor, right? if so, how would a car have two? sorry for the noob question. </TD></TR></TABLE>

Not 2 distributors, but either 1 or 2 wire harnesses for it.

OBD1 motors have 2 harnesses coming off the dizzy.

OBD2 motors have 1 harness.

HTH
Old 10-18-2006, 07:47 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: How can you tell if the motor is obd0 ,obd1 or obd2??? Need help. (SuperSteve737)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by SuperSteve737 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

Not 2 distributors, but either 1 or 2 wire harnesses for it.

OBD1 motors have 2 harnesses coming off the dizzy.

OBD2 motors have 1 harness.

HTH</TD></TR></TABLE>

in japan motors have 4 dizzy's one ofr each cylinder, but they glue them on to give + 100 vtec boost and they have holes in the pistons so the valves will not hit them, the vlaves go right through and dip into the oil pan for lubrification....theirs also a JDM radiator blanket you can buy.....good ****!
Old 10-18-2006, 07:50 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: How can you tell if the motor is obd0 ,obd1 or obd2??? Need help. (Sleepy_Red_hatch)

THe ecu plugs on OBD0 motors are clear. OBD1 aand II are grey.
Old 10-18-2006, 08:09 PM
be professional

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
Default Re: How can you tell if the motor is obd0 ,obd1 or obd2??? Need help. (EViLSTAR)

The intake manifold on the engine pictured is a pre-OBD (usually referred to as "OBD-0") piece. The valve cover is from an OBD-1 or OBD-2 engine. The transmission appears to be a '96+ USDM piece because it has a VIN tag.
Old 10-18-2006, 08:18 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: How can you tell if the motor is obd0 ,obd1 or obd2??? Need help. (Targa250R)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Targa250R &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">The intake manifold on the engine pictured is a pre-OBD (usually referred to as "OBD-0") piece. The valve cover is from an OBD-1 or OBD-2 engine. The transmission appears to be a '96+ USDM piece because it has a VIN tag.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Okay, an ODB-0 Mani, with an ODB-I valve cover (and possible engine), and an ODB-II transmission, we gots areselves a ******* party here !! w00t w00t.

At OP:
I'll be quite honest because I'm an honest guy:

I have no idea what in the expletive that motor is nor what ODB it is.

Good luck finding it out though, the dizzy plug # sounds accurate, I don't know it for sure, but whatever. Ask 'em for more pix 'n **** 'n post 'em, then hopefully somebody could tell you more.

EDIT:
Get a ******* picture of the engine code stamp...
Old 10-18-2006, 08:43 PM
be professional

Default Re: How can you tell if the motor is obd0 ,obd1 or obd2??? Need help. (Syndacate)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Syndacate &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I have no idea what in the expletive that motor is nor what ODB it is.</TD></TR></TABLE>
The head is obviously a PR3 (definitely not a P72), but who knows what the block is. He could find out the head casting year by checking the date stamp (located above the exhaust manifold between cylinders 1 and 2).

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Get a ******* picture of the engine code stamp...</TD></TR></TABLE>
That won't necessarily help if it's a JDM B16A block, though it possibly can if it's a "1 million series" serial number. The "5 million series" blocks were available in multiple OBD flavors.

Modified by Targa250R at 1:28 AM 10/19/2006
Old 10-19-2006, 01:35 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Sleepy_Red_hatch &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

obd 1 = 2 dizzy plugs
obd 2 = 1 dizzy plug

thats all i know right now, im 100% obd 1 </TD></TR></TABLE>

thanks man for the good info.

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Sleepy_Red_hatch &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

in japan motors have 4 dizzy's one ofr each cylinder, but they glue them on to give + 100 vtec boost and they have holes in the pistons so the valves will not hit them, the vlaves go right through and dip into the oil pan for lubrification....theirs also a JDM radiator blanket you can buy.....good ****! </TD></TR></TABLE>

wtf?good **** is that why jdm motor is better then usdm motor?

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by TurboTagTeam &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">THe ecu plugs on OBD0 motors are clear. OBD1 aand II are grey. </TD></TR></TABLE>

thanks for leting me know the colors.

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Targa250R &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">The intake manifold on the engine pictured is a pre-OBD (usually referred to as "OBD-0") piece. The valve cover is from an OBD-1 or OBD-2 engine. The transmission appears to be a '96+ USDM piece because it has a VIN tag.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Thats what i was thinking when i saw the pic he send me. I trust the guy but just dont wanna get dick over for obd0 motor. When i saw the intake manifold i told myself for some reason its obd0 because of that one thing on it not sure what its called but if you look at pic it has like a red wire runing to some where. i mite be wrong or right on that but i do know that the tranny tranny is an ls casein with type R short gears and lsd. The vale cover im not really sure they all look the same to me. Thanks Targa250R for helpin out.

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Syndacate &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

Okay, an ODB-0 Mani, with an ODB-I valve cover (and possible engine), and an ODB-II transmission, we gots areselves a ******* party here !! w00t w00t.

At OP:
I'll be quite honest because I'm an honest guy:

I have no idea what in the expletive that motor is nor what ODB it is.

Good luck finding it out though, the dizzy plug # sounds accurate, I don't know it for sure, but whatever. Ask 'em for more pix 'n **** 'n post 'em, then hopefully somebody could tell you more.

EDIT:
Get a ******* picture of the engine code stamp...</TD></TR></TABLE>

Its a damn party alright with all that stuff but il ask him for more engine shot and code stamp. btw thanks for your input

[QUOTE=Targa250R]
The head is obviously a PR3 (definitely not a P72), but who knows what the block is. He could find out the head casting year by checking the date stamp (located above the exhaust manifold between cylinders 1 and 2).

That won't necessarily help if it's a JDM B16A block, though it possibly can if it's a "1 million series" serial number. The "5 million series" blocks were available in multiple OBD flavors.

I think he told me from begining that the motor was obd1 b16a2 but im not sure because i have ADD hahhahah so i forget things really easy. i will try n ask for more pics and upated but thanks everyone for helping out n make sure to check back cuz i dont want to get a obd0 if it is.
Old 10-19-2006, 09:22 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by EViLSTAR &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
wtf?good **** is that why jdm motor is better then usdm motor?
</TD></TR></TABLE>

lol i was kidding...
Old 10-20-2006, 03:54 PM
Honda-Tech Member

lol i was kidding...</TD></TR></TABLE>

hahhah it was to good to be true. The guy will be taking more pics for me once he send them il post.
Old 10-22-2006, 09:01 PM
Honda-Tech Member

here are some more pictures. hope someone can help.

Old 10-23-2006, 10:19 AM
be professional

The serial number starts with "10" so it's a pre-OBD block. '91 or older. Someone swapped a newer valve cover (or possibly entire head) onto it. As I mentioned before, the intake manifold is pre-OBD.
Old 10-23-2006, 05:32 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: How can you tell if the motor is obd0 ,obd1 or obd2??? Need help. (Targa250R)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Targa250R &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">The serial number starts with "10" so it's a pre-OBD block. '91 or older. Someone swapped a newer valve cover (or possibly entire head) onto it. As I mentioned before, the intake manifold is pre-OBD.</TD></TR></TABLE>

thanks man. im thinking if i should get this car now cuz he told me it was obd1 but i was thinking it was obd0. il keep you guys updated. should i get this car or no?