Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

How can you really tell if a motor's worth buying?

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-2009, 12:16 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How can you really tell if a motor's worth buying?

So I just blew my stock motor in my EK and have been on the hunt looking for a replacement. I stumbled upon an ad in a local paper where a guy wants to trade a B16a long block for a an EG or CRX shell. I ask him if he's willing to sell it outright, and for how much. He tells me he is, and he say's for $700. Here's a description of the listing:

"Entire motor was rebuilt (obd1) with type r pistons and it had type r cams and aem cam gears and the longblock is complete with dizzy and manifolds all u need is a transmission i also have the ecu for it and i had the motor in my civic before it got towed away"

As far as price goes, does this seem a bit cheap considering it's rebuilt? What other questions should I be asking? Will this drop into my 96 EK? If I go check it out, what can I really do to be sure it's not a POS? I just don't want to get burned, and this seems too good to be true. I'm not usually this lucky.

Last edited by BokudenNYC; 01-27-2009 at 12:25 AM.
Old 01-27-2009, 12:33 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: How can you really tell if a motor's worth buying?

Hindsight is the only sure way of telling.

Your next options are asking for receipts, pulling the head and taking a look see, buying some x-ray goggles, probably a lot of other stuff. Do a compression test.

If you care to, it may be worth it to write down the serial number from the engine and inquire to see if it is stolen.

Either way, it seem a little odd. Be careful with it.
Old 01-27-2009, 05:50 AM
Seagull Management

Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by BokudenNYC
As far as price goes, does this seem a bit cheap considering it's rebuilt? What other questions should I be asking? Will this drop into my 96 EK? If I go check it out, what can I really do to be sure it's not a POS? I just don't want to get burned, and this seems too good to be true. I'm not usually this lucky.
You can ask all the questions you want, in the end it only matters if the seller answers them honestly. It will drop right into your civic, but you will need mounts for a '99 - '00 Si, Si or '94 - '01 integra shift linkage, trannny, axles etc. A friend of mine picked up a complete OBD1 B16A this fall for $1000, out of the car so we didn't know how or if it ran, we took a chance on it anyway, the guy who had it wrote the car off and the shell was there, so we were reasonable sure it wasn't blown. Dropped it in and it worked great, right up until the diff pin broke and drove the differential up through the top of the transmission case, that was one of those things that we had no way of knowing though, I still think it was a good deal for $1000
Old 01-27-2009, 05:56 AM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Originally Posted by BokudenNYC
So I just blew my stock motor in my EK and have been on the hunt looking for a replacement. I stumbled upon an ad in a local paper where a guy wants to trade a B16a long block for a an EG or CRX shell. I ask him if he's willing to sell it outright, and for how much. He tells me he is, and he say's for $700. Here's a description of the listing:

"Entire motor was rebuilt (obd1) with type r pistons and it had type r cams and aem cam gears and the longblock is complete with dizzy and manifolds all u need is a transmission i also have the ecu for it and i had the motor in my civic before it got towed away"

buy from a depot, so at least you can go back to a place if they try to dick you.

joe schmoe, will easily sell you a POS and disappear like he was never there to begin with.

call up Royal Engines, in the Flushing area of Queens, they are reasonably priced and deliver for $30 anywhere within NYC.
Old 01-27-2009, 08:22 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

as they all said. NO way of knowing how the engine is or if its stolen. ONLY way to know if to take it apart and check, or put it on your car and test drive it.
and yes, if it does have all those upgrades and was rebuilt, it does seem a little cheap. A LOT cheap actually. but its your call
Old 01-27-2009, 10:07 AM
B*a*n*n*e*d

to avoid stolen property, ask for paperwork make sure all numbers check out, or call your local autocrime and they'll meet you wherever you're buying the engine (especially if you're in NYC)
Old 01-27-2009, 10:42 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by bronx finest
to avoid stolen property, ask for paperwork make sure all numbers check out, or call your local autocrime and they'll meet you wherever you're buying the engine (especially if you're in NYC)
lol. im sure if its stolen and the guy knows its stolen, he would not go if he knows that autocrime is going. lol
but ive never heard of "autocrime". what is it?
Old 01-27-2009, 10:48 AM
Honda-Tech Member

its rebuilt but how many miles on it? also you can try and check the vin number on the block even though its a jdm motor. it wouldnt hurt to see the history or if its stolen. heres a website:
https://www.nicb.org//cps/rde/xchg/n.../vincheck.html

besides I hope your buying from him face to face instead of over the internet therefore you know where he lives in case he screws you over and you can ask him to make you a receipt in case the block does come out stolen you can report it to the police if you get pulled over..

if he doesnt want to make you a receipt or something like that then I wouldnt buy it from him.