Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

How Can I tell its OEM?

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-2005, 06:07 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How Can I tell its OEM?

HT im not sure if this is in the right section, Im not sure if it should be in the Apperance cosmetic forum, but I was wondering how you can tell An SI lip is OEM or not? Should there be a vin number on it or something. Im actually picking up an "si lip" on friday, and I was just curious on what I should look for to see if it is OEM or not.

Also, what about an SI front strut bar? The guy Im picking it up from says there is no encrytion or anything on the bar, so how can I tell its came from an SI? He said he cousin gave it to him, and he has an eg... so im kinda skeptical, what do you think would be a good price for it also? Thanks for the help in advanced guys
Old 05-03-2005, 06:14 PM

No numbers on either. The strut bar should be black though. For the Si lip, you can tell its oem if there are mounting screws along the bottom.
Old 05-04-2005, 12:28 AM

Default Re: (jeffk182)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by jeffk182 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">No numbers on either. The strut bar should be black though. For the Si lip, you can tell its oem if there are mounting screws along the bottom.</TD></TR></TABLE>

wt he said. and the material on the OEM lip is very noticeble compared to that "ABS".
as for the strut bar ill test it out tomorrow and let ya know if its the same between si and integra (they look the same)
Old 05-05-2005, 09:23 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (longbeachpurplecivic)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by longbeachpurplecivic &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

wt he said. and the material on the OEM lip is very noticeble compared to that "ABS".
as for the strut bar ill test it out tomorrow and let ya know if its the same between si and integra (they look the same)</TD></TR></TABLE>

howd the test come out?

OEM should feel like the side skirts right?
Old 05-05-2005, 09:28 AM

OEM lips are not very rigid. Aftermarkte ones will be stiff or not very flexable. The OEM ones can be twisted very easily.
Old 05-05-2005, 09:33 AM

Default Re: How Can I tell its OEM? (Shikaruto)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Shikaruto &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote"> what do you think would be a good price for it also?</TD></TR></TABLE>

Don't pay no more then 30 for a used lip because I've went to junkyards that sell Si lips for like 10-15 bucks lol... As for struts I'm not to sure on the value of that esp. for a stock one...
Old 05-05-2005, 09:40 AM

Just a guess, but I would assume the OEM Honda lips will say HONDA on the inner side of it or something. *shrugs*
Old 05-05-2005, 10:05 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: How Can I tell its OEM? (MDJ IKNJ)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by MDJ IKNJ &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Just a guess, but I would assume the OEM Honda lips will say HONDA on the inner side of it or something. *shrugs*</TD></TR></TABLE>

The rear oem 99-00 si lips say honda on the inside. I wouldn't be suprised if the fronts do too.
Old 05-05-2005, 10:34 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Cboy1-EG6 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

Don't pay no more then 30 for a used lip because I've went to junkyards that sell Si lips for like 10-15 bucks lol... As for struts I'm not to sure on the value of that esp. for a stock one...</TD></TR></TABLE> damn you have junk yards with si man all i ever run into the junk yards in my area are stripped the bone eg hach
Old 05-05-2005, 10:35 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by MDJ IKNJ &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Just a guess, but I would assume the OEM Honda lips will say HONDA on the inner side of it or something. *shrugs*</TD></TR></TABLE>

Ding Ding Ding... We have a winner

who cars if the strut bar is an OEM SI strut bar? if it is a solid piece with no joints its going to do the same thing...
Old 05-05-2005, 11:55 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: How Can I tell its OEM? (Jon V)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Jon V &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Ding Ding Ding... We have a winner

who cars if the strut bar is an OEM SI strut bar? if it is a solid piece with no joints its going to do the same thing...</TD></TR></TABLE>

cause I dont want him rippin me off, hes trying to sell me this strut bar for 80, and id totally be getting ripped if he got it off ebay for 15.
Old 05-05-2005, 12:02 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Old 05-05-2005, 12:04 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Shikaruto &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

cause I dont want him rippin me off, hes trying to sell me this strut bar for 80, and id totally be getting ripped if he got it off ebay for 15. </TD></TR></TABLE>

That is way, way to much to pay for an OEM strutbar. Have you checked the classifieds, or http://www.car-part.com?

Old 05-05-2005, 12:09 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Shikaruto &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">cause I dont want him rippin me off, hes trying to sell me this strut bar for 80, and id totally be getting ripped if he got it off ebay for 15. </TD></TR></TABLE>

Ha Ha, somehow I don't think this would be the first time you got ripped off. Maybe it is a CTR strut bar, its the same thing but red. i think those ones are worth like $150

maybe you should just go on E-bay and get one of those $15 bars
Old 05-05-2005, 02:19 PM

you can get one of those for less than 30 bucks thats for sure, si/integra same bar
Old 05-05-2005, 10:20 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: How Can I tell its OEM? (longbeachpurplecivic)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Jon V &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Ha Ha, somehow I don't think this would be the first time you got ripped off. Maybe it is a CTR strut bar, its the same thing but red. i think those ones are worth like $150

maybe you should just go on E-bay and get one of those $15 bars </TD></TR></TABLE>

ummm? how the hell would you know if i ever got ripped off? This is the first time im buying used parts so im just making sure.. i wouldnt pay 80 bucks for a used strut bar anyway, so take your sarcastic *** remarks and shove it...

anyways, thanks to you other guys who actually tried to help, im actually picking it up for 20, even if it isnt oem or anything i dont really mind, itll do the trick.

Old 05-05-2005, 10:35 PM

LOL haven't you already found your answers cause this thread has been refreshed...
Old 05-05-2005, 11:17 PM

Default Re: How Can I tell its OEM? (Cboy1-EG6)

oem should have a bunch of those screw holes. around 10 or so for the lips. also, the metal tab should be on it still because they're hard to take off and will leave scratches if you tried. so, look for those. good luck.