Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

How to build a Quaife custom tranny without spending big $$$$?

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-2001, 06:24 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How to build a Quaife custom tranny without spending big $$$$?

I have been exploring this website:< http://www.autocrossing.com/cgi-bin/gearcalc.cgi > and have just been amazed at how a B series motor with a modest 9K redline can get you such amazing MPH between gear shifts. Obviously this is what the bigtime draggers have to use in order to get the ET's they are running. My question is what is probobally my best bet in building a semi custom Quaife tranny that would give me the advantages of a Quaife tranny (such as long gearing) BUT being able to figure out a fifth gear to replace and use as for dropping the RPM's in fifth gear for fuel economy such as a 0.750 gear or something! Can I buy say a Civic SiR tranny and use it as the basis of building a tranny such as the Quaife or would an ITR tranny be better suited as a starting block? Also, not that I have the money, but what does a Quaife tranny cost and who sells them on the east coast?

Ok, sorry for the long post and thanks for anyone who can comprehend my post and give me a coherent response!

[Modified by ImprtTuner88, 3:27 PM 11/20/2001]

[Modified by ImprtTuner88, 3:33 PM 11/20/2001]
Old 11-20-2001, 07:22 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: How to build a Quaife custom tranny without spending big $$$$? (ImprtTuner88)

Your hatchback tranny should have a low RPM yielding gear.
-or-
Put some tires with a higher aspect ratio.
That will change your gear ratio... is's easy tooo... and the car comes with the only tool needed to do the job