Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

How bleed coolant on 96 Civic Ex...no bleed screw on thermo housing.

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-2005, 07:44 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How bleed coolant on 96 Civic Ex...no bleed screw on thermo housing.

Thanks all, I am an amateur mechanic.

How do I bleed my coolant on 1996 Civic Ex? I have been told about a bleed screw on the thermostat housing, but I kid you not, there is not one located anywhere in or around it. I am having a problem with idling.

I was told to
1.) bleed the coolant
2.) clean out the IACV with carb cleaner ( 2 bolts to remove the IACV, tighten white screw, and spray with carb cleaner, let it dry completely and install) I do not have FITV. I looked it is not there.

My most pressing problem is that when I am in first gear, as I am pressing the gas pedal, the car gets off to a good start. However, at some point while in first gear, the car does not accelerate even though I am pressing the gas pedal even more. Shortly after, while still in first gear, the car has a sudden burst of energy as if I it was trying to catch up to the position of the pressed gas pedal. This is an intermittent problem that I have experienced while in first and second gear. I do not see this problem in any other gears; just first and second. Help me solve the problem and I promise to make a $20 donation as a thank you. I have replaced spark plugs, rotor and wires. Fully stock engine. If you want more info let me know. I could take this to a mechanic, but I am enjoying learning.

Thanks all.
Old 05-25-2005, 07:49 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: How bleed coolant on 96 Civic Ex...no bleed screw on thermo housing. (arielb1)

You can take the radiator cap off (when cold) start the car and leave the cap off. When the thrermostat opens if there is any air in the system is should come out thru the rad.

Since you only have the problem in 1st and 2nd gear that would exclude a Throttle position sensor problem.

Does it always occur? When its hot and cold?
Old 05-25-2005, 08:03 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: How bleed coolant on 96 Civic Ex...no bleed screw on thermo housing. (flood)

Yeah, I purchased an Actron tool and tested the Throttle positioning sensor. It tested good. I used a blow dryer to test the sensor. Great tool by the way.

I guess I bled the coolant correctly then. I did remove the cap off radiator so it must of bled.

This problem occurs hot or cold, but again, it is intermittent. The problem is strange cuz when it is occuring, I can press the pedal to the floor and the speed is maintained. Only after a few seconds do I get a sudden surge of power like as if it was trying to catch up to the speed I have the pedal press to. I guess this is why I only get 24miles to a gallon. I have heard people getting 32mpg.

Thanks for the help.
Old 05-25-2005, 11:09 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: How bleed coolant on 96 Civic Ex...no bleed screw on thermo housing. (arielb1)

24mpg? thats pretty low.

The O2 sensor does play a big role in the Pulse Width of the injector. You can test the voltage with a multimeter but it won't be an indication of how fast the signal is switched which is important because O2 sensors usually just get slow.

A scan tool would be super handy in your situation. YOu could look at the long term fuel trim as well as the output from every sensor to determine the cause. Im suprised there hasn't been more input from others as to what the problem could be.

When did it start doing that? How many miles on the car? I also assume that you get no check engine light?
Old 05-25-2005, 11:16 AM
'

my d16y8 civic ex is turbo'd and i still get 30mpg.

that surging you're talking about, i experience it too. its called...no torque. lol.
Old 05-25-2005, 12:35 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (L337HXR)

I purchased that car not knowing it was surging. It has 77K miles only. Yes, 24 mpg is the most I get and this is 90 % highway driving. What scan tool where you refering to? Let me know I will go out and buy one. I am motivated to fix this because I really want to learn. I am enjoying the entire process learning about cars.

I have the Actron sensor testing tool I purchased new from ebay. It has a proceedure to test the O2 sensors using a propane torch to heat up the sensor. Never tested an O2 sensor though. This weekend I can test the O2 sensors. I will share what I learn.

Thanks all
Old 05-25-2005, 12:46 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (arielb1)

http://www.vetronix.com/diagnostics/mts3100/

If you can afford to buy one. I did see one on ebay for only ~$1k

There are all sorts of differnt ones. I know that Snapon makes one too. You would want to do ALOT of research and most likely would want to be in the business of fixing cars to justify the purchase.

They give you ALOT more information than one of the code readers.

Also I sent you some tech information on Honda PGMFI

Test that O2 sensor, its possible thats whats causing some of the problems. But again, it may not be..lol... sorry but over the internet its impossible to know. That information should get you started.