Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

How bad is this grease boot?

Old 09-24-2004, 02:47 PM
Electrician

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How bad is this grease boot?

While I was installing my new shifter bushings, I came accross this:

This is the dreaded CV-Joint, is it not? Better to replace the boot and re-pack with grease or is it time for a new axle. No clicking yet...what does everyone think?
Old 09-24-2004, 02:51 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Re: How bad is this grease boot? (Dimi)

The cut doesnt look to bad, just get a new boot and regrease it and your good to go.
Old 09-24-2004, 02:54 PM

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Re: How bad is this grease boot? (Luserkid)

You take that picture while you were under there doing your FAQ for the bushings? lol but yeah, if there isnt any clicking then I see no reason to replace the whole axle. Unless the cut is huge. I have the same problem. Wanna do a right up on how to change your CV boot too? lol
Old 09-24-2004, 03:00 PM
Electrician

Default Re: How bad is this grease boot? (DOHC4life)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by DOHC4life &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">You take that picture while you were under there doing your FAQ for the bushings? lol but yeah, if there isnt any clicking then I see no reason to replace the whole axle. Unless the cut is huge. I have the same problem. Wanna do a right up on how to change your CV boot too? lol</TD></TR></TABLE>

Heh, yeah. I was under there last week and there was no rips at all. My entire undercarriage was grease/oil free...until now. Damn knuckle and rotor shield is covered in grease.

I might aswell access my Helms and do a write-up on the boot install aswell. Heh.

Thanks for the responses.

I was also wondering, is there a "special" CV boot grease or any "bearing" grease will do?
Old 09-24-2004, 03:09 PM
Honda-Tech Member

new boot
Old 09-24-2004, 03:12 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Dimi &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

I might aswell access my Helms and do a write-up on the boot install aswell. Heh.

Thanks for the responses.

</TD></TR></TABLE>

Dude if you could do that it would be great. I heard that the grease needs to be "pushed" in or something, so if it doesnt then that would be golden. DO A HOW TO!!!!!!!!
Old 09-24-2004, 04:49 PM
Electrician

I will, don't worry.
Old 09-24-2004, 04:54 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Dimi)

My dad manages a mechanic shop. I have a torn CV boot all the way around. He told me it doesn't matter really until you start to feel it. I'm going to wait and just replace my whole axle.
Old 09-24-2004, 05:33 PM
Electrician

Well I think the boot is WAY cheaper than an axle though.
Old 09-24-2004, 05:35 PM
Honda-Tech Member

then again i need new axles anyway. i have like 110,XXX miles on them.
Old 09-24-2004, 05:35 PM
Electrician

Can someone tell me what # it is. I'm thinking it's #10.

Can someone concur?
Old 09-24-2004, 05:45 PM

I think so too. But why in the hell did they(whoever that is) make those things so damn hard to read?!
Old 09-24-2004, 06:59 PM
Mr. Badwrench

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: How bad is this grease boot? (Luserkid)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Luserkid &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">The cut doesnt look to bad, just get a new boot and regrease it and your good to go. </TD></TR></TABLE>

yeah it looks as if it hasnt been open that long. get a replacement kit and re grease it. you should be ok.
Old 09-24-2004, 07:06 PM
Electrician

Should I get a universal kit from AutoZone or one from Honda?
Old 09-24-2004, 07:09 PM

The AutoZone ones suck, well not really. You dont even have to take anything apart. They just "snap" over the axel. Kinda cheap in my opinion. *shrugs* I would like to see a write-up on an OE boot replacement. I would give you big props for that.
Old 09-24-2004, 09:11 PM
Electrician

Default Re: (DOHC4life)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by DOHC4life &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">The AutoZone ones suck, well not really. You dont even have to take anything apart. They just "snap" over the axel. Kinda cheap in my opinion. *shrugs* I would like to see a write-up on an OE boot replacement. I would give you big props for that.</TD></TR></TABLE>

I guess I'll just access my Helms and get an OEM piece to make a write-up. I will warn you, I am going to have access to an impact wrench to make like a shitload easier. Just warning ahead of time.
Old 09-24-2004, 09:13 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Advan06)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Advan06 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">My dad manages a mechanic shop. I have a torn CV boot all the way around. He told me it doesn't matter really until you start to feel it. I'm going to wait and just replace my whole axle.</TD></TR></TABLE>
yea..no.

if you fix the problem before you start to "feel" it you can get away with just rebooting the axle. if you wait till you can "feel" it you will need a new axle because the rezeppa joint will be toast.
Old 09-24-2004, 09:15 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by DOHC4life &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">The AutoZone ones suck, well not really. You dont even have to take anything apart. They just "snap" over the axel. Kinda cheap in my opinion. *shrugs* I would like to see a write-up on an OE boot replacement. I would give you big props for that.</TD></TR></TABLE>
thats a speedi boot. its an emergency replacment boot, not a permanent fix.
Old 09-24-2004, 09:17 PM

Default Re: (Kamin)

Oh I see. Okay, well I think I might be able to get my hands on an impact wrench as well so, have at it DIMI. I look forward.
Old 09-24-2004, 10:26 PM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by DOHC4life &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Oh I see. Okay, well I think I might be able to get my hands on an impact wrench as well so, have at it DIMI. I look forward. </TD></TR></TABLE>

it can be done with out a impact wrench. USe a big breaker bar. Any how my cv boot is way worse and I decided to wait till it makes noise partly cause im lazy. I have the new cv but I need a damn 32mm socket.
Old 09-24-2004, 10:37 PM
Honda-Tech Member

i have a tear thats like 1 cm. long, and my axles are like 7months old...dammit...atleast i got life time guarranty axles, haha, neener neener neener! ok just kidding, but yea, u should do a write up dude, call it something easy to do a search for -austin
Old 09-25-2004, 04:53 AM
Electrician

Yeah, why I did the shifter bushings write-up.
Old 09-25-2004, 06:13 AM
Honda-Tech Member

i'd just wait and replace the axle when it finally starts making noise, which could be many months later. or you could get all messy and replace just the boot but that would take more time, and time is money.
Old 09-25-2004, 06:17 AM
Electrician

Default Re: (AzCivic1.6)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by AzCivic1.6 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">i'd just wait and replace the axle when it finally starts making noise, which could be many months later. or you could get all messy and replace just the boot but that would take more time, and time is money.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Not for me. Working 10-15 hours a week Part-Time and going to school from 1-6 gives me some time to work on the car if I need to.
Old 09-25-2004, 06:30 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I've done them both. Changing the boot is a real pain in the ***. It IS the cheaper way to go but either way you have to take out the axle. If you are going to replace the boot then you are going to need the tool that will will pull the metal strap tight. The metal strap is what keeps the boot on. If you go to auto zone then they should have all you need.

But if you just buy the complete axle then you'll be good to go and you'll also have a life time wuarrenty. Let me know if you have any questions....

Oh and if it's making noise then you have to change the axle, you can't just change the boot....

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: How bad is this grease boot?