Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Horn wiring

Old 02-13-2016, 04:37 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Horn wiring

I searched but only came up with people looking for aftermarket steering wheel horn wiring.
its for an EG

I'm trying to wire up an alarm and the alarm ask for a wire to hook it up to the horn(doesnt come with its own siren)
I found this: 92-95 the wht/grn is power and blu/red is ground

I have no idea with what wire to hook up the alarm to. Don't know what wire is always hot and i don't want to hook it up to that wire and have a fire, i also don't want to ground it for obvious reasons

Basicly, the alarm would throw out a current to activate the car horn, what wire do i cut into to get this effect?
Old 02-13-2016, 05:26 PM
Hysterically Calm

Received 562 Likes on 481 Posts
Default Re: Horn wiring

You didn't specify your car information as required with all tech threads, especially in this section.

I'm assuming you are still talking about your 94 Hatchback.

Does it have SRS (airbags) and just to know specifically which setup you have, does it have a passenger airbag in the dash (don't think it would as it's a DX or less).

SRS changes the wring diagram a little bit.
Old 02-13-2016, 05:35 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by TomCat39
You didn't specify your car information as required with all tech threads, especially in this section.

I'm assuming you are still talking about your 94 Hatchback.

Does it have SRS (airbags) and just to know specifically which setup you have, does it have a passenger airbag in the dash (don't think it would as it's a DX or less).

SRS changes the wring diagram a little bit.
The more you know, ill be sure to include full info for the next time
I actually do have SRS on the steering wheel and i do have a passenger airbag.

The srs on the steering wheel appears to be cut as i found the clockspring in the trunk and while doing some wiring i saw the wide thin wire that would have been connected to it also cut

edit: it is also giving me a SRS light, pretty annoying but i want to go aftermarket with steeringwheels in the near future
Old 02-13-2016, 05:42 PM
Hysterically Calm

Before proceeding, under the steering wheel there is a small access door with 1 single screw (assuming the steering wheel is still stock)....

Open that access door and make sure the red cap is on the airbag harness. If it's not shorted out (with the red cap), you are running the risk of accidental airbag deployment.

I'll get you the wiring diagram in a moment.

You have the same sort of red cap setup for the passenger airbag too. The access panel on the passenger side is help on with two screws and you have to drop the glove box first before you can spy the panel.

Okay the difference between SRS and not SRS with the horn is a Horn Relay. You have one, without SRS does not have one. The other thing you should know and can be seen with the diagram, power goes from the battery to the horn and the switch (and relay) basically ground out the horn to activate it.

Name:  IMG_20160213_185019.jpg
Views: 1428
Size:  348.1 KB
Name:  IMG_20160213_185032.jpg
Views: 1502
Size:  312.8 KB
Name:  IMG_20160213_185501.jpg
Views: 1335
Size:  397.5 KB

Last edited by TomCat39; 02-13-2016 at 05:57 PM.
Old 02-13-2016, 05:48 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Before proceeding, under the steering wheel there is a small access door with 1 single screw (assuming the steering wheel is still stock)....

Open that access door and make sure the red cap is on the airbag harness. If it's not shorted out (with the red cap), you are running the risk of accidental airbag deployment.

I'll get you the wiring diagram in a moment.

You have the same sort of red cap setup for the passenger airbag too. The access panel on the passenger side is help on with two screws and you have to drop the glove box first before you can spy the panel.
Still stock steeringwheel
Ill check up on the red cap tomorrow, what exactly does it do?
Old 02-13-2016, 06:01 PM
Hysterically Calm

Originally Posted by silversilver
Still stock steeringwheel
Ill check up on the red cap tomorrow, what exactly does it do?
It's shorts out the air bag connector which prevent accidental discharge. Even a static discharge can set off the airbag from what I understand.

Your diagrams are above, I edited my post to add them.

A little blurry but not horribly so unless yer on a phone with a tiny screen, then it might be a bit much.
Old 02-13-2016, 06:04 PM
Honda-Tech Member

It's shorts out the air bag connector which prevent accidental discharge. Even a static discharge can set off the airbag from what I understand.

Your diagrams are above, I edited my post to add them.

A little blurry but not horribly so unless yer on a phone with a tiny screen, then it might be a bit much.
Then ill be sure to check that it is in place
I appreciate your assistance
Old 02-13-2016, 06:05 PM
Global Moderator

Received 419 Likes on 389 Posts

The horn circuit wiring is that the Wht/Grn wire is always Hot (has power (+)).

To trigger the horn, ground (-) is applied to the horn. Generally, the wire from the alarm could be hooked up to either the Blu/Red wire going to the horn or the Blu/Grn wire going to the horn relay. Applying ground to either the Blu/Red or Blu/Grn will sound the horn.
Old 02-13-2016, 06:46 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by tech8
The horn circuit wiring is that the Wht/Grn wire is always Hot (has power (+)).

To trigger the horn, ground (-) is applied to the horn. Generally, the wire from the alarm could be hooked up to either the Blu/Red wire going to the horn or the Blu/Grn wire going to the horn relay. Applying ground to either the Blu/Red or Blu/Grn will sound the horn.
The alarm sends a 12v current, is it really ok to hook it up to any of those wires?
Havent looked at the diagram in detail yet, just a quick skim
Old 02-13-2016, 06:53 PM
Global Moderator

Received 419 Likes on 389 Posts

The alarm sends a 12v current, is it really ok to hook it up to any of those wires?
Havent looked at the diagram in detail yet, just a quick skim
How do you know the alarm sends 12v instead of ground? What kind of alarm and model is it?

The way the horn circuit is on the 94 Civic, you can't hook up another 12 volt source to any of those horn wires to trigger the horn.
Old 02-13-2016, 07:03 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by tech8
How do you know the alarm sends 12v instead of ground? What kind of alarm and model is it?

The way the horn circuit is on the 94 Civic, you can't hook up another 12 volt source to any of those horn wires to trigger the horn.
Its not much of an alarm so to speak.

It was made to work with a siren( it would send the 12v to that) and the siren would be grounded thus sounding it. Since I have no siren I was just curious if I could hook it up to the stock horn somehow
Old 02-13-2016, 07:36 PM
Hysterically Calm

Its not much of an alarm so to speak.

It was made to work with a siren( it would send the 12v to that) and the siren would be grounded thus sounding it. Since I have no siren I was just curious if I could hook it up to the stock horn somehow
Nope, like was stated, Honda's circuitry almost always completes circuits by applying ground.

Either get a cheap siren, or go to the junk yard and pull a civic horn to be your siren. You can wire the second horn to operate as grounded and you are applying the 12V from the alarm.