Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

hood release won't go back in

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2011, 02:55 AM
Trial User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Icon6 hood release won't go back in

Hi guys, cheers on all the good input, saved my butt a few times..

Today its damn cold in Toronto, and my hood was frozen shut. I broke the plastic handle off of the interior hood release, and then used a pair of pliers to pull the cable out and open the hood. This worked in getting the hood open but the cable is now stuck out, likely because i pulled too hard in getting it open.

I've tried pushing it back in REASONABLY hard, with no luck. It stays stuck out and therefore the hood does not clamp all the way down, I guess because the mechanism is stuck on release.

This is obviously unsafe for a few reasons.. Anything I might be able to try before I seek professional help? Maybe help the cable reset from under the hood or something? Any tips are much appreciated, thanks!

O yea, its a 2000 stock civic..

Last edited by mbdm; 01-20-2011 at 03:00 AM. Reason: forgot car specs
Old 01-20-2011, 03:59 AM
The Grumpiest

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts
Default Re: hood release won't go back in

Pull back the fender liner and get at it that way. See if it's just stuck/frozen. Otherwise I think you may have broken it.
Old 01-20-2011, 04:04 AM
Honda-Tech Member

possibly get some wd40 and spray on the latch under the hood.. this could help prevent it from sticking I know its cold.. but it oculd help
Old 01-20-2011, 05:40 AM
Trial User

jiggle the cable around. this happened to my hood and thats how i fixed it
Old 01-20-2011, 06:23 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Look at the latch under the hood and see where the cable is attached,it should be pulled all the way over to the left as you stand looking at the latch,use a screwdriver or such to move the latch back to the right and it should work.

When you get time remove the latch and you can either just replace the cable or you could go ghetto and use wire to atatch to the part the hood release cable is atached to and use that to pull the latch back when you have to open the hood.
Old 01-20-2011, 07:49 AM
Honda-Tech Member

i live in hamilton and i get the same f*ing thing every time i open my hood in the winter. the problem is moisture in the lines, it seeps in over time and screws you over, also happens to e-brake cables, nothing you can do about in canada lol. i donj't know of a way to prevent this, and i haven't come across a way to fix it, so you'll need to replace the cable unless you want to do this every winter.

if you grab some needle nose pliers and pull on the end of it (NOT the cable, it will crimp and you'll have to replace it right away) pull it all the way to the right like jockone said, your hood will close, it sucks, i know. then when it warms up replace it.

last winter my hood latch and one side of my e-brake cable froze, so in spring i replaced my hood cable and all of my e-brake cables just in case.
Old 01-20-2011, 02:14 PM
Trial User

Thx for the info guys, I'll try that out. If i move the hood catch and the hood closes properly, how will I open it again being that my interior hood release latch is stuck out and won't go back in?

Maybe I'm missing something, I'm gonna fiddle with it tomorrow when I get some daylight.
Thanks again!
Old 01-20-2011, 02:23 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Pushing the hood latch back over will pull the cable back in, so if you can do that, you should be fine.
Old 01-20-2011, 02:32 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Jockone
Look at the latch under the hood and see where the cable is attached,it should be pulled all the way over to the left as you stand looking at the latch,use a screwdriver or such to move the latch back to the right and it should work.

When you get time remove the latch and you can either just replace the cable or you could go ghetto and use wire to atatch to the part the hood release cable is atached to and use that to pull the latch back when you have to open the hood.
This^^^