Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

z6 rough idle, dies after pressing gas, all out of ideas!

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-2011, 04:33 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default z6 rough idle, dies after pressing gas, all out of ideas!

So I'll try and give the most detailed rundown I possibly can so ANYONE with info can try and help me, I'm about ready to give up.

I had a JDM d15b that blew so I got a z6 that needed lots of work, Took everything apart, head ports cleaned hot tanked bismoto valve springs and retainers installed because I thought I was going to get a bisi cam ( running stock cam at the moment ). Bisimoto cam gear installed. No mill work, Stock IM running hondata heat shield gasket, GSR TB. Since stock air box did not fit I'm running AEM v2 CAI at the moment. Had some trouble routing vac hoses but I have them all on now, only thing I did differently then before that I can remember is that the FITV front vac hose is routed to the small fitting on the bottom passenger side of the IM. Both coolant lines so I figure thats ok. New OEM head gasket, all new cam seals injector seals header gasket, everything.

Bottom end I got bored to 75.5mm and installed p29 pistons new rings wrist pins, my rods were shot-peened. ACL race bearings plastigauged and installed. Crank was polished.

Only part I'm iffy on is the injectors, I had to replace 2 as 2 of the tips were cracked, the ones I got in the mail did not match the z6 injector #4708 or whatever they were something like 2GL0 so I found ones off of a different fuel rail I had that matched and installed them. Don't know if they are clean dirty or what....

At first after my swap the car would not stay on unless I had the gas depressed to about 1.5k-2k rpms, I changed the cap rotor plugs and wires still same, replaced ignition coil and car stays on but idle is ROUGH, before I had replaced the 2 unmatching injectors I got CEL code 43 for "fuel system supply" but no CEL since the change( I have a friend sending me RC 270cc obd1 fuel injectors that are NEW so I'll use those and check if that helps. ) Now that the car stays on but idles really really rough, if i press the gas the car just dies. Also just recently noticed when car is warmed up that there is white smoke coming from somewhere, when I look for the origin it looks as if the bottom half of my eBay header is smoking, I'll try and look into this further as it can be serious.

I need a list of problems that could cause this, and if you have ANY questions ask me on this thread as I am on the verge of going crazy because of this problem. I'll post all my specs just in case:

d16z6:
Stock cam
bisi springs retainers
Stock IM
eBay header
bisi cam gear (still stock setting)
GSR TB (had to swap my tps from my stock TB and my throttle cable pulley)
AEM v2 CAI
Using same dizzy as on my D15B as z6 didn't come with one
exedy OEM organic clutch
Exedy flywheel 11lbs
replaced tranny because old one was the dx/cx/lx/vx one and didn't know now is si tranny
Magnaflow cat
Exhaust(don't know the name but not stock)
Hondata headshield IM gasket
Stock p28 ECU

everything else is stock...

ANY HELP would be appreciated! thanks!

Sorry for new thread, made one as these are new problems after fixing one of the original problems.

Last edited by okBYE; 10-01-2011 at 04:59 PM.
Old 10-01-2011, 08:49 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: z6 rough idle, dies after pressing gas, all out of ideas!

No one? Well, update anyways My wife noticed actually when I was sitting inside the car while it was started that there was evidence that out of my exhaust pipe there was a lot of something that came out, it was splattered all over the garage door... My wife thinks a rate climbed into the bottom half of my headers because I never uninstalled the bottom half when I took my d15b out. While I don't believe that, I think there might be a lot of water or something in the exhaust system because of snow and rain soon after my car blew. I took the top half off while I was preparing for the old motor to be removed. Could this have anything to do with my problem? Any thoughts?

Thanks in advance!
Old 10-03-2011, 02:37 AM
Honda-Tech Member

It sounds to me like you either have alot of coolant getting into the motor or your dumping in way to much fuel. Believe it or not if you dont burn up the fuel going into the motor it will spill out the header. White smoke generally means your burning coolant, or your dumping in so much fuel it gets in the exhaust and heats up burning a white smoke however this is a rare occurence. Check your injectors and make sure they arent leaking, And make sure your spark plug wires are in the correct order.
Old 10-03-2011, 07:52 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I know for sure the wires are in the right order, I'll at least double check. and by injectors leaking, you mean the seals leaking? or the actual injector leaking into the motor and not sealing?