Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Hood Pins vs. Hood Locks

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-2004, 09:07 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hood Pins vs. Hood Locks

I was looking to change my CF hood, and was curious as to what everybody thought would be a better way to hold the hood down.

I searched and found only one thread that was helpful with what I wanted to know. I want a good comparison of hood locks and hood pins from people, and any personal experiences would definitely be appreciated.

Basically I am considering hood locks because they aren't as big as pins on the hood, and are definitely more discreet and in a sense cleaner looking. My main concern is actually having the hood stay closed. I don't really care for the security aspect of the locks, and am only considering those cuz of the reason I explained earlier. Now I read on that thread I mentioned that a bunch of people had bad experiences with their CF hoods flying open while moving with their hood locks. But thats all I read about it, all the other threads that came up in the search had nothing to say about hoods flying open with locks.

What would you all suggest? I want to make sure my hood stays closed...are hood locks really that unreliable with that? And also...say I got hood locks on the hood, would I experience any problems with taking off the hood locks and replacing them with pins? I believe that for hood pins you need to put in 3 screws and if I were to take off the hood pins, Id be left with a hole in the hood on each side that can't be covered with the hood lock. At least thats how it is with my current sparco hood pins...

Thanks in advance for any help...
Old 08-11-2004, 09:25 AM

Default Re: Hood Pins vs. Hood Locks (BNavZ)

For my hood pins I didn't want to drill three little holes, so I used double side tape to hold it in place so they don't fall off when I open my hood.
Old 08-11-2004, 09:43 AM
B A N N E D

Get hood pins
Old 08-12-2004, 10:23 AM

Default Re: Hood Pins vs. Hood Locks (MNEJ1GUY)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by MNEJ1GUY &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">For my hood pins I didn't want to drill three little holes, so I used double side tape to hold it in place so they don't fall off when I open my hood. </TD></TR></TABLE>

Weren't the pins loose or anything with the tape? Did they make any noise while driving like rattling or anything?? Also what kind of tape did you use?

Thanks...
Old 08-12-2004, 10:49 AM

So you're saying you have fake hood pins? Or did you just tape down the top part?

If you're not worried about getting stolen from (which you should) go with pins. Its not very likely for them to fly up on ya if done well.
Old 08-12-2004, 11:24 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Hood Pins vs. Hood Locks (Revolver)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Revolver &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">So you're saying you have fake hood pins? </TD></TR></TABLE>
bwahahah
Old 08-12-2004, 11:48 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Re: Hood Pins vs. Hood Locks (Shocka1998LX)

The hood locks at Pep boys are cheap and somewhat hokey design. Your hood can fly open if they are not installed absolutely correctly. Originally I had those up front and the rear was held with the hinges. Now I have pins in the strut towers and still have the locks up front. If the locks and pins aren't tight as kcuf, the hood will wobble a bit from air rushing in through the radiator. The pins saved my *** a number of times when the locks would come out as I adjusted the installation to perfection.

The high dollar hood locks look just as secure as pins.
Old 08-12-2004, 11:58 AM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by BNavZ &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

Weren't the pins loose or anything with the tape? Did they make any noise while driving like rattling or anything?? Also what kind of tape did you use?

Thanks...</TD></TR></TABLE>

Why would they rattle? The rod from below and the hood pin from above has enough pressure to hold the hood down tightly. If you getting a little rattle just adjust your hood bump stops higher or your rod from below......

The tape is for when you open your hood so they stay inplace and don't fall off instead of having to srew three more holes into your carbon fiber hood...You can get the double sided tape at any hardware store...
Old 08-12-2004, 12:00 PM

Default Re: Hood Pins vs. Hood Locks (Revolver)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Revolver &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">So you're saying you have fake hood pins? Or did you just tape down the top part?

If you're not worried about getting stolen from (which you should) go with pins. Its not very likely for them to fly up on ya if done well.</TD></TR></TABLE>

You just got owned..
Old 08-12-2004, 12:01 PM

Default Re: Hood Pins vs. Hood Locks (Shocka1998LX)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Shocka1998LX &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
bwahahah</TD></TR></TABLE>

you just got owned...