Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Hood Pins, Really Necessary With A Carbon Fiber Hood?

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2005, 05:08 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hood Pins, Really Necessary With A Carbon Fiber Hood?

I tried using the search feature and couldn't find anything.

Everybody has different opinions if hood pins are really necesssary with a carbon fiber hood. I really want a carbon fiber hood but some people say its necessary and others say that its just for show or for the track, so you can open your hood faster. To be honest, I hate hood pins but if its necessary, I am going to have to buy them. So what are you opinions on them, any input would be greatly appreciated it.
Old 03-07-2005, 05:18 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Hood Pins, Really Necessary With A Carbon Fiber Hood? (Daddy Yankee)

Think of them like a seatbelt. You may never need them but when the **** hits the fan you wish you had it on.
Old 03-07-2005, 05:31 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Its the smart thing to do...Id never even ride in a car that has a cf hood if it didnt have pins.
Old 03-07-2005, 05:34 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Hood Pins, Really Necessary With A Carbon Fiber Hood? (dwnthehatch)

i really think it depends more on what hood you buy. i have seen some really flimsy cf hoods that i personally would use them because if a little wind got under them i think the latch would rip! but yea go buy a hood and when its latched down see how much play or moving you can do with it cause the wind will make it do that. but i dont think they are always necessary cause my cousin has had a VIS on his em1 for 2 years no problems, no hood pins. so good luck!
Old 03-07-2005, 05:59 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Hood Pins, Really Necessary With A Carbon Fiber Hood? (JDMSiGuy17)

ya i also think it depends on the hood, i have a VIS as well and have gone upwards of 100mph w/o any problems, but then again if something were to go wrong at 101 i dont know
Old 03-07-2005, 06:01 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Just run a quick search and you'll see those that decided they didnt need them and you'll find out what can happen.
Sure, you may not need them...but why risk it?
Old 03-07-2005, 06:02 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (pdiggitydogg)

ya i dont need them and look what happened, my hood stayed on the car and some people think they are ugly and ricey and whatnot, their car
Old 03-07-2005, 06:04 AM

I think there is no risk involved if the CF hood is made to spec with good craftsmanship and quality.

Old 03-07-2005, 06:04 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I've had a 96-98 Bodykits northwest CF hood and I have a 99-00 BKNW Cf hood on my car had it for over a year. Never needed any pins at all I've driven over 115 mph and sustained a 100 mph for at least 10 minutes straight no worries. It all depends on the brand I say.....
Old 03-07-2005, 06:10 AM
Honda-Tech Member

How many times have you actually used your seatbelt and airbags too?
What about the cotter pins on your ball joints? Thats the same thing.

I seriously dont think that pins can be called "ricey" if they actually do something. And "ew theyre ugly" Yeah...thats smart.

Im happy for you that you havent needed them. I'll continue to use mine and tell others that its wise to use them.
Old 03-07-2005, 06:13 AM
Honda-Tech Member

use them, end of story.
Old 03-07-2005, 06:16 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Hood Pins, Really Necessary With A Carbon Fiber Hood? (Daddy Yankee)

my friend bought a $900 Vis hood. one day we were going 100+mph. we slowed down and drove about 45 after we got off the highway. his hood flew up and BANG! hit his windshield. funny because we said we were planning to put hood pins on that very day
Old 03-07-2005, 06:24 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Hood Pins, Really Necessary With A Carbon Fiber Hood? (everlasting1832)

I'd rather use them on a CF hood than risk it flying up, damaging my hood, my roof, my windsheild and possibly causing me to wreck my car.
Old 03-07-2005, 06:31 AM
most hood white kid

better safe than sorry, who cares if they are ugly, they "could" end up saving your life...
Old 03-07-2005, 06:36 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (egcoupe94)

Does anyone but me find it ironic that he puts a mismatched hood on his car, then complains about something that's functional for the hood being ugly?
Old 03-07-2005, 06:40 AM
most hood white kid

hell...if he is that worried about them....paint them black so they wont be as noticeable...or he could get the really cool purple ones made by APC,.....that would be m4d t1t3 y0!!
Old 03-07-2005, 06:49 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I cant rip on purple apc ones, when mugen ones come teal
Old 03-07-2005, 07:39 AM

i got a cheap $200 cf hood off ebay, and ive gone 100 mph for a pretty good distance... never EVER had a problem. i dont have pins. and i dont think ill ever get any..
Old 03-07-2005, 07:56 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I had an APC hood, back when CF was getting big. I bought hood pins and never got them installed. But I never had problems with the hood.

I should have put them on, heck I shouldnt of boughten APC, but I sold that car.
Old 03-07-2005, 08:13 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Vero)

I've got a CF hood, and I got hood pins b/c I got sick of seeing it move w/ the wind knowing that there wasn't much to stop it from flying up. I feel better having the hood pins there. I'm now in the market for a stock hood though since this is my DD & I'm sick of the attention.
Old 03-07-2005, 08:14 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by pdiggitydogg &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">How many times have you actually used your seatbelt and airbags too?
What about the cotter pins on your ball joints? Thats the same thing.

I seriously dont think that pins can be called "ricey" if they actually do something. And "ew theyre ugly" Yeah...thats smart.

Im happy for you that you havent needed them. I'll continue to use mine and tell others that its wise to use them.</TD></TR></TABLE>

If you don't cotter the ball joints, they will work themselves loose in a matter of no time. So you "use" the cotter pins in those everyday you make a turn in your car.

The airbag can go screw itself. I wish my car never had one. Not needed imo.

I "use" my seatbelt everyday

If the hoodlatch is good quality and crafted well into the design of the hood, I see no need for pins.
Old 03-07-2005, 08:19 AM

What about pins on a stock hood. I guess the question brakes down to are pins really needed at all? My stock hood hardly wieghts anything.

Swifty
Old 03-07-2005, 08:52 AM
most hood white kid

Default Re: (Hybrid93Eg)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Hybrid93Eg &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

If you don't cotter the ball joints, they will work themselves loose in a matter of no time. So you "use" the cotter pins in those everyday you make a turn in your car.

The airbag can go screw itself. I wish my car never had one. Not needed imo.

I "use" my seatbelt everyday

If the hoodlatch is good quality and crafted well into the design of the hood, I see no need for pins.</TD></TR></TABLE>

just disable it like I did mine, the airbag module(yellow thing that plugs into the yellow plug under the dash) went bad, and I just never got a new one...i wear my sealtbelt, and it is safer than an airbag IMO
Old 03-07-2005, 08:56 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (egcoupe94)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by egcoupe94 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

just disable it like I did mine, the airbag module(yellow thing that plugs into the yellow plug under the dash) went bad, and I just never got a new one...i wear my sealtbelt, and it is safer than an airbag IMO</TD></TR></TABLE>

^ Agreed. I hate air-bags....Seatbelts are my security. As for hood pins....well like others have said I think that it depends all on what you want. They will hold it down tight and it is good insurance that it wont come fly'n off.
Old 03-07-2005, 09:13 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Swifty)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Swifty &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">What about pins on a stock hood. I guess the question brakes down to are pins really needed at all? My stock hood hardly wieghts anything.

Swifty</TD></TR></TABLE>

What kind of "stock" hood do you have? Reason why you would want hood pins is because your hood weighs about 10 lbs compared to the stock 40 (personal hood on VW, numbers may vary). Ive had my VIS hood since December and no pins. Plan to get them installed for the track but havent had time. Been upwards of 110 and very little or no play. Depends on the strength of the latch.

Quick Reply: Hood Pins, Really Necessary With A Carbon Fiber Hood?