Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

hood pins on cf hood?

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2004, 09:57 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default hood pins on cf hood?

should i put hood pins on my vis cf hood.....i hear from alot of people that the cf hood catches the wind and flys back
Old 04-04-2004, 09:59 PM

Default Re: hood pins on cf hood? (OoHiTzToMMy)

It can fly back if over time the vibrations from the road and whatnot break the latch... I think it was VIS that revamped their latches to fix this, but I'm not really sure... Basically, it's not a bad idea to get the pins, but if you're not worried about it just go without... A lot of people have cf hoods w/o the pins and no problems w/ the hood flying up.
Old 04-04-2004, 10:03 PM

seal that hood really good so no air gets in
Old 04-04-2004, 10:10 PM

With teh VIS cf hood you shouldn't put it on unless its all warped and stuff. My friend got the EVO VIS cf hood looks dope but for $500 it was still warped where it usually warps. The freaking bump on the driver side lol.
Old 04-05-2004, 12:14 AM

Default Re: (civic_rice)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by civic_rice &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I bought pins for mine, i'm just too chickenshit to install them.
I've been waiting on anyone to post a DIY before i grasp the confidence </TD></TR></TABLE>

What the heck. I just put mine in a couple months ago...heres how, its like one, two, three. Super easy.

First off find a place to put the pin itself. Heres where I put mine. Set them in kinda low (do both sides) then use something to mark the top of the pin with (I used a dab of grease.)

Lower the hood onto the pins gently. Raise the hood and you'll see the two marks you just made.

Next grab your drill and very carefully put a small pilot hole in the center of your mark (which of course should be on the underside of the hood.). Then drill into the pilot hole with a 3/8in. bit....or simular size.

Ok. now you have two holes drilled in the hood. Place the top part of the hood pin (part with the locking pin) on the hood...right over the hole you drilled for the pin. Make sure you get the correct angle you want the top of the hood pin to sit. This is kinda personal taste but I prefered them pointing up (Pictured) If you purchased the same cheapo ones I did they will have an adhesive backing. Remove the backing and stick them on.

I highly recomend a roto zip for the next part. BTW if you dont have a roto zip buy one, theyre great! Using the top part of the hood pin as a template cut it out using the roto zip. You'll have to widen the hole on the underside of the hood till the pin doesn't rub on anything. Now just adjust everything and go.

I held off to long putting mine on...just didn't think they would look good. Well now I love having them on...for safety and looks. BTW my new Si wheels
Old 04-05-2004, 12:22 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: (RangerDan)

good write up
Old 04-05-2004, 09:43 AM

Default Re: (blackhatchy)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by blackhatchy &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">good write up </TD></TR></TABLE>

Well Im sure it could have been better...but we had our first autox (FTD!) of the year yesterday and I was beat and brain fried when I wrote it.
Old 04-08-2004, 09:19 AM

Well I think Im gonna put my hood pins in today. thanks for the diy write up . I was scared to start chopping on my hood.
Old 04-08-2004, 09:50 AM
^R@m!r0_(M)

Default Re: (ConeS)

Do it. . . Its so cheap, you cant afford not to do it
Old 04-08-2004, 09:52 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (^R@m!r0_M)

yes do it get the sparco ones they r sweet
Old 04-08-2004, 09:53 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (civic_rice)

get the pins... or you regret it later i did .. my hood flew back while i was on the highway mess up the roof and cracked my windshield lucky i was still alive i learned NO MORE CF HOOD FOR ME
Old 04-08-2004, 10:02 AM

Default Re: (EGkwazhimoto)

i like mines with no hood pins, im not a fan of hood pins. i use a weather seals from pepboys so that the air doesnt get under.
Old 04-08-2004, 10:10 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (anekin007)

I use the locking hood pins for the obvious reasons of the hood flying up, but also for added security. Plus they're required at the track

also, if you go ahead and mount the base of the pins in the radiator support, etc.... you can put some play-doh on the underside of your hood and then gently let the hood down, indentation made, then drill from the bottom. easy.
Old 04-08-2004, 10:12 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (EGkwazhimoto)

a guy here on h-t got pulled over once and the po told him to pop the hood but he had hood pins with locks....so he told the po he lost the key to the pins, so the cop let him go
btw hood pins=JDM Y0
Old 12-09-2005, 06:49 AM
Honda-Tech Member

you drilled from the bottom of the hood to the top of the hood?

wouldn't that mess up the hood? i thought you would need to drill from the top of the hood down?
Old 12-09-2005, 06:55 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

For those not using pins, I really hope you dont use any cotter pins on your ball joints either. Man, the joints just look so much cleaner without them in there

Locks are not pins...says so on the box. Dont beleive me? Call Mr Gasket (maker).

Going from the bottom, after marking with grease or something, is easier because its not smooth. If you have a stone grinding bit from a dremel it will work 1000000x better. After the initial hole, expand from the top, for the stud.
My how-to: http://www.hstuners.com/forums...22931

Old 12-09-2005, 07:34 AM

Yes, you should install hood pins. if you don’t, it’s all in a matter of time until the hood decides to flop and smash your windshield and your face. I use to sell these things and there isn’t really much a difference between the hoods I’ve sold and the ViS brand except for 1 mm of carbon fiber and that pretty carbon fiber trim underneath it. people tell you ViS doesn’t require hood pins right? Good ******* luck… and your motors overseas do not have 30-50k miles on them either. I had a debate with some idiot on this board a long time ago and my thread got locked because this person was working for another company who apparently sells carbon fiber hoods also.

one more time... i highly recommend you do get pins in there.
Old 12-09-2005, 02:49 PM
Honda-Tech Member

link no worky
Old 12-09-2005, 03:23 PM

Default Re: (idriveadelsol7)

just do it. its extra sequrity
Old 12-09-2005, 03:44 PM
Honda-Tech Member

yeah.. i'm going to put hood pins on my hood.

just called the local auto parts store and they don't have any in stock right now

so i'm going to have to go over there and order some tomorrow
Old 12-09-2005, 03:47 PM
As long as I dont have to take out any more Metal Gears

Default Re: hood pins on cf hood? (hondaeg8)

I have these for sale:

Check em out in this thread

https://honda-tech.com/zero...age=1
Old 12-09-2005, 03:56 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: hood pins on cf hood? (hondaeg8)

at first I didn't want to rock hood pins cause I think they're pretty dumb, but after my friends VIS hood flew up on him doing about 70. I decided to go with them. i hate how it looks but it's a safety thing for my windsheild.
Old 12-09-2005, 04:15 PM
Honda-Tech Member

yeah.. i didn't want hood pins either, but i kinda don't want to take the chance either.
Old 12-09-2005, 05:46 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Again, those types of locks are NOT hood pins.
They are designed to keep a PERSON out of a limited amount of time. Driving = constant buffeting from the wind and therefore makes that type of "pin" (if you can call it that) unsafe as a stand alone unit.
I had a pair, Ive seen how they can fail...I sold them and included the og box with the warning.

(and link works for me...?)
Old 12-09-2005, 05:57 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

well i say go without tha pinz, i'v never liked the look of hood pinz but its all up to u in the end

Quick Reply: hood pins on cf hood?