Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Hood latch relocation.

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-2005, 05:55 AM
Imperious: Mod of Valor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hood latch relocation.

I found this thread about relocating the hood latch, despite it's for a DC, it's pretty much the same for my EJ.

http://www.team-integra.net/se...D=732

It wasn't too clear on how he opens his hood. It says to 'put the cable back into the car through this firewall hole'. I don't understand how you open it, could someone please help me with this?
Old 06-19-2005, 06:07 AM

Default Re: Hood latch relocation. (JDM-EJ1)

All he did was relocate the cable inside the engine bay by running it threw the opening the engine harness goes thro the firewall. Then reconnected it to the stock hardware under the dash. Pretty simple
Old 06-19-2005, 06:10 AM

Default Re: Hood latch relocation. (nocturnaldragon)

I don't really see the point in that then. The hood can still be accessed by bashing out the window and pulling that stock switch.

I was always under the impression that moving the hood wire meant moving the switch somewhere else.
Old 06-19-2005, 06:44 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

but not by sticking cutters and pliers through the liner
Old 06-19-2005, 06:48 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by JDM-EJ1 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I don't really see the point in that then. The hood can still be accessed by bashing out the window and pulling that stock switch.

I was always under the impression that moving the hood wire meant moving the switch somewhere else.</TD></TR></TABLE>

yes this is true, but that is what an alarm is for. It is just another security feature. Take a car with an alarm and the hood cable going through the fender. A theif would just have to reach up into the fender, pull the cable, pop the hood, and disconnect the alarm. Open the door, and your car is gone. Now take that same car with the cable relocated. How will the theif get into the car without an alarm going off if he cannot reach or find the hood latch cable?

Old 06-19-2005, 06:50 AM

Default Re: Hood latch relocation. (Ej1_coupe)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Ej1_coupe &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

yes this is true, but that is what an alarm is for. It is just another security feature. Take a car with an alarm and the hood cable going through the fender. A theif would just have to reach up into the fender, pull the cable, pop the hood, and disconnect the alarm. Open the door, and your car is gone. Now take that same car with the cable relocated. How will the theif get into the car without an alarm going off if he cannot reach or find the hood latch cable?

</TD></TR></TABLE>

But my question is where did he put his hood latch switch? He never described that in his write up? Can someone please answer this for me.
Old 06-19-2005, 06:56 AM
I hate everything

I read that as well, not very descriptive
Old 06-19-2005, 06:58 AM
Honda-Tech Member

He didn't touch the switch inside the car, only the cable. The hood will still be opened the same way from inside the car as it did before the cable relocation. I think maybe that is the question you are asking.
Old 06-19-2005, 07:02 AM

Yeah, that is the question. I understand how he moved the cable from the the inner fender to under the hood. But I still think that isn't very good.

This is how I imagine it happening..

The switch is in the same place. 1 theif waits by the hood to open it, 1 bashes out the window and pops the hood, the other theif opens the hood and disconnects the battery and then disconnects the alarm. Then the car is gone.

Couldn't you simply leave the bare cable hidden loose somewhere in the cabin and you just pull it with your hand? Or with some pliers or something? Wouldn't that work?
Old 06-19-2005, 07:07 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I guess you are right, but most theives try to be sleek. So breaking a window, and having an alarm going off for 10 seconds may not be their way to go. But you are correct. Yes you could just have the cable in your car free and pull it.
Old 06-19-2005, 07:43 AM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Ej1_coupe &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I guess you are right, but most theives try to be sleek. So breaking a window, and having an alarm going off for 10 seconds may not be their way to go. But you are correct. Yes you could just have the cable in your car free and pull it.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Is the cable easy to pull with your hand? Or would you need a tool?
Old 06-19-2005, 08:00 AM
Honda-Tech Member

not sure.. but bump for that answer.
Old 06-19-2005, 08:01 AM

sometimes you can pull it enough by hand sometimes you dont need anything more then a pair of pliers. It depends on how tight the cable is.
Old 06-19-2005, 08:36 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Hood latch relocation. (nocturnaldragon)

Ok then. This came from DAs 1st . Its to keep a thief from being able to pop the hood from outside the car. If you pop the hood from there you can get to the battery quicker & kill the alarm. It's just extra precaution.
Old 06-19-2005, 08:57 AM

Default Re: Hood latch relocation. (NC-B17A)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by NC-B17A &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Ok then. This came from DAs 1st . Its to keep a thief from being able to pop the hood from outside the car. If you pop the hood from there you can get to the battery quicker & kill the alarm. It's just extra precaution.
</TD></TR></TABLE>

Seriously, IMO that does nothing. I think the whole scenario I posed happens just as much if not more than pulling the cable from outside the car.

I guess I'm just going to try it myself, with undoing the cable and pulling it with pliers and my hand or what not.
Old 06-19-2005, 09:13 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The point of it really is to make it so the release cable is not acessible via the exterior of the car. If you were a theif and you had the opportunity to pull the release cable from the outside of the car vs having to smash the window to pull the cable which route would you choose? It takes like 20 minutes to do and I think it is a good idea. I used that walkthrough to do it on my civic.

You could always buy another hood release handle and leave it where it normally is as a dummy handle and relocate the real release elsewhere.
Old 06-19-2005, 10:23 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Re: Hood latch relocation. (chowmien)

I think it's a great idea. I should ask the guy if I can feature his writeup on my site. I never bothered with the writeup because I dont have a hood cable, just hood pins and hood locks.

Disconnecting the battery doesn't bypass the alarm. You still have to hotwire the car and reconnect the battery. If you have an alarm or siren with a backup battery, disconnecting the car battery will accomplish nothing. You can add battery backup to any alarm with a DEI 520T.

Then you would have layered protection. Now imagine a worst case and best case scenario for a thief. Good ****, right? First they can't find the hood cable, so they bash the window, pop the hood, and disconnect the battery. They still have to find the alarm power wire or siren wire (your alarm install sucks) just to get it to shut the **** up. Then they have to bypass your fuel kill switch. Then they realize you have a second starter kill with no obvious switch. They bypass that and try to drive off, realizing that you have autolock on your wheel. Now tell me, what kind of car do you drive? A ******* Aston Martin? They really really want it but they just can't get it. What was the HT mantra again? If they really want it...

Most thieves wont bash windows. I've seen a lot of car thefts and attempts where they tried to pry every ******* thing on the car but would not bash the window.

Modified by suspendedHatch at 11:33 AM 6/19/2005
Old 06-19-2005, 10:41 AM

Default Re: Hood latch relocation. (suspendedHatch)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by suspendedHatch &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I think it's a great idea. I should ask the guy if I can feature his writeup on my site. I never bothered with the writeup because I dont have a hood cable, just hood pins and hood locks.

Disconnecting the battery doesn't bypass the alarm. You still have to hotwire the car and reconnect the battery. If you have an alarm or siren with a backup battery, disconnecting the car battery will accomplish nothing. You can add battery backup to any alarm with a DEI 520T.

Then you would have layered protection. Now imagine a worst case and best case scenario for a thief. Good ****, right? First they can't find the hood cable, so they bash the window, pop the hood, and disconnect the battery. They still have to find the alarm power wire or siren wire (your alarm install sucks) just to get it to shut the **** up. Then they have to bypass your fuel kill switch. Then they realize you have a second starter kill with no obvious switch. They bypass that and try to drive off, realizing that you have autolock on your wheel. Now tell me, what kind of car do you drive? A ******* Aston Martin? They really really want it but they just can't get it. What was the HT mantra again? If they really want it...

Most thieves wont bash windows. I've seen a lot of car thefts and attempts where they tried to pry every ******* thing on the car but would not bash the window.

Modified by suspendedHatch at 11:33 AM 6/19/2005</TD></TR></TABLE>

You make some really good points, I think the hood release idea is good, but I think it can be perfect if your able to hide the actual lever some where. I'm gonna work on this and see what I can come up with.