Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Honda vx commuter - need new radiator - recommendations

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-2013, 11:03 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Honda vx commuter - need new radiator - recommendations

I've been working on replacing the hoses in my honda vx (1992 hatch) and was wondering what you guys recommend for a new radiator? Brand/Vendor. I don't need anything crazy as the car is completely stock and is used simply for commuting and getting around.

I was changing the upper radiator hose and the hard pipe on the radiator broke It's got a little over a quarter million miles and i'm quite certain it is the original radiator.
Old 10-03-2013, 11:23 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Honda vx commuter - need new radiator - recommendations

Any of the aftermarket brands are good,unless there like made in sri lanka kinda cheap lol
Not sure if honda still makes or even sells the genuine part anymore
and btw if you're changing hoses and a radiator change the thermostat as well genuine honda thermostat and bleed the cooling system if you don't know already
Old 10-04-2013, 12:19 AM
Honda-Tech Member

My friend's been using an O'Reilly radiator on his stock teggy for the past 10k miles and loves it, so I think it should be a good replacement for your stock civic.
Old 10-04-2013, 05:22 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

doesn't really matter in my opinion. the usual parts stores ones have a lifetime warranty.
Old 10-04-2013, 05:24 AM
RESIDENT

Originally Posted by kyden
doesn't really matter in my opinion. the usual parts stores ones have a lifetime warranty.
Came in to say this. If it's just a commuter car go to the local parts store and get their cheapest one.
Old 10-04-2013, 09:36 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Thanks for the input guys. I did a ton of maintenance when I first got it and that covered the thermostat etc... OEM parts there.

Honda does still sell the radiator. It is, however, about $300. Does anyone know if it is a single or double row?

How about aluminum style vs the plastic. Pisses me off that the plastic OEM one broke SOOO easily. It is old, but definitely put a damper on the evening.
Old 10-04-2013, 09:42 AM
Oh look, I can change this

Received 131 Likes on 105 Posts

Originally Posted by 94eg!
You can buy the OEM radiator straight from Denso for much cheaper in a Denso box. Look up the Denso part number on the Denso aftermarket website. Then plug that part number in at sparkplugs.com

http://www.densoautoparts.com/find-m...icle-selection

http://www.sparkplugs.com/category.aspx?zcid=957
OEM rad was probably a DENSO. Here, you can get a DENSO replacement for like $50.

Also, check this post for more tips on quality repair/replacement items: https://honda-tech.com/forums/honda-civic-del-sol-1992-2000-1/%5Bfaq%5D-your-guide-buying-quality-aftermarket-maintenance-parts-your-civic-3114911/
Old 10-04-2013, 09:58 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Thanks for the info. I love your thread, Ive used it several times.

Are all the radiators in the D15 series pretty much interchangeable? I wouldn't think the auto option will matter because of the added oil coolers at the base of the radiator. There is the Toyo/Denso brand on Rock Auto for about $50 as you stated. Do you see any reason why it wouldn't bolt right in and allow the electric fan to bolt on?

NISSENS Part # 633081 TOYO & DENSO; Core Dimensions: 350-349-26
[Flag indicates this part fits vehicles sold in the European Market. It does not indicate where the part was made -- manufacturers produce parts in multiple factories worldwide.] Manual/optional auto Trans.; with/without A/C; engs [D15Z1]
Automatic trans.; DX Model; LX Model; Length: 1.024; Height: 13.780; Width: 13.740
Automatic trans.; DX Model; LX Model; Length: 1.024; Height: 13.780; Width: 13.740; Width: 13 3/4,mat: P/a,thickness: 1 1/8,height: 13 3/4

Just noticed it actually denotes D15Z1. I will likely just order this one as it is the toyo denso manufacturer. I'm attempting to chase down the last two coolant hoses that I know of. Does anyone know where the oil cooler hoses can be had? They go right where the filter screws in. There are two small ones. None of the vendors seem to have this particular hose. The other one that always seems to be missing is the bypass hose, but it seems that rock auto may have one.
Old 10-04-2013, 10:07 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Denso doesn't have a part # for the VX specifically
Old 10-04-2013, 10:11 AM

All radiators for all D-series engines 1992-2000 are interchangeable. AUTO trans ones have the oil cooler at the base but this can be ignored/capped off if you have MT.
Old 10-04-2013, 10:16 AM

That DENSO one on RockAuto for under $50 is your friend.
Old 10-04-2013, 10:25 AM
Technical Hero

Received 28 Likes on 20 Posts

Interestingly enough the 92-95 VX is the only model from 92-95 that doesn't list a Denso radiator. The VX only uses the Toyo brand and the fan mounts differ.

Denso

Toyo
Old 10-04-2013, 10:32 AM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Not just the mounts - it looks like the fan motor and fan itself are both different.
Old 10-04-2013, 10:37 AM
Honda-Tech Member

This car is a Love/Hate relationship. The vx always has "special" parts that are different from every other honda engine around its time. I'm always extremely cautious when purchasing parts for it.

So, which one works with it then?? I don't think the Denso one on rock auto will. There is the Nissens one on rock for a 92 vx.

NISSENS Part # 633081 TOYO & DENSO; Core Dimensions: 350-349-26
[Flag indicates this part fits vehicles sold in the European Market. It does not indicate where the part was made -- manufacturers produce parts in multiple factories worldwide.] Manual/optional auto Trans.; with/without A/C; engs [D15Z1]
Automatic trans.; DX Model; LX Model; Length: 1.024; Height: 13.780; Width: 13.740
Automatic trans.; DX Model; LX Model; Length: 1.024; Height: 13.780; Width: 13.740; Width: 13 3/4,mat: P/a,thickness: 1 1/8,height: 13 3/4

anyone have any idea?
Old 10-04-2013, 10:55 AM

Well, lookie there. Learned something new today. BUT, I suspect the mount locations for the fan shroud are actually in the same place for both TOYO and DENSO rads? I say this only because a search on H-T didn't find anyone complaining that "X fan didn't fit Y rad on my Civic" ... then a response "oh, it's because you have a DENSO rad and a TOYO fan". I'd have expected to find dozens of these posts if that was the case (though granted it's not definitive proof). Fan shroud definitely looks different, but this is likely due to different fan motor & fan blade mfr for each OEM rad.

TBH, you should not have a problem with any of the rads I listed in my guide, incl. the Nissens one. *IF* the mounts are a problem then a quick trip to the J-yard to get a matching fan would be in order and will get you back up and running.
Old 10-04-2013, 11:02 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Thanks, I might just go with the rock auto Nissens one because it is denoted for the "VX". It probably doesn't mean anything, but I would imagine it would be more likely to be a better fit.

Down here (near spokane, WA), you can't walk in to a junk yard and find a honda that doesn't have an empty engine bay. You practically have to get there the morning they are put on the lot.
Old 10-04-2013, 11:14 AM

I hear that a lot from you Americans. Up here (Saskatchewan), most Hondas go to the crusher about 80% intact. I've even seen B-series VTECs go untouched. And they are only $300. Last time I was at our local yard, there were a dozen DC4 Integras all with their B18s intact. A shame, really, but I don't have the resources to do much about it.
Old 10-04-2013, 11:19 AM
B*a*n*n*e*d

If you happen to notice any Domani's....let me know >.>
Old 10-04-2013, 11:22 AM

Ehhh, I see them all the time. Well, the Acura ELs. I mostly ignore them but sometimes grab the centre console/cupholder/lower DIN from them if I have time.
Old 10-04-2013, 11:25 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Slightly off topic, but has anyone seen where to pick up the two coolant hoses for the oil cooler where the engine oil filter screws in?
Old 10-04-2013, 11:32 AM

^ Those will likely be an OEM item only, although I'd imagine you can bend some generic hose of the correct material & diameter to fit. What happened to yours?
Old 10-04-2013, 11:33 AM
B*a*n*n*e*d

deschlong, not to derail OP's thread, but if you could look into the cost of a complete dash (preferably cable-driven HVAC), as well as just a complete steering wheel (with air bag), both black...and shipped to my area...I would love you forever, and might have to hit you up for your troubles, when I have some extra disposable income.
Old 10-04-2013, 11:35 AM

(^ Let's PM.)
Old 10-04-2013, 11:41 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Not available for OEM anymore. I've looked everywhere that I know of.

Honda doesn't even carry the bypass coolant hose anymore. They were missing the bypass coolant and the oil coolant hoses as well. I am just doing some preventative maintenance on my vehicle. Got started when my distributor went out (too much shaft play causing it to trash the rotor/cap) and I felt the heater core hose that's below it. It was somewhat "crunchy", so I decided I would go through it and replace all the coolant hoses since they likely have never been done. Then the brittle radiator broke and here we are. haha
Old 10-04-2013, 11:44 AM
B*a*n*n*e*d

http://www.hondaautomotiveparts.com/...R+HOSE+%281%29

Are you talking about parts #2 and #3? They list #3 in that list, and it isn't marked as discontinued - you should still be able to order it. Call Majestic (the link I'm giving you) and see if they can point you in the right direction for #2, or go digging through the parts catalog for it.

Quick Reply: Honda vx commuter - need new radiator - recommendations