Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Honda starts then dies at temp

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-2016, 08:28 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Honda starts then dies at temp

1995 Honda civic dx sedan with 1.5l y7.

Ever since I first got the car 3 years ago I would give it like full throttle or anything past half way to fast the car would Jump and stall/ cut out and sound like it was iddling then just maintain speed or slowly drop down like it was struggling but still going. I had a cell light but that was cuz the cool down senore was cut off I got it fixed and it went away the light went away but still could not just hit the gas and go had to ease into it.
Since I noticed that I've done a lot to the the car, this is a list of what I can remember.
Piston rings and bearings , y7 head, pully and timing belt, fuel pump, fuel rail, fuel philter, fuel rely , regulator, dizzy cap, z6 throttle body ,tps and intake manifold, I think that's it the car was running with all the parts besides the regulator and the second fuel pump I put in cuz the first fried.
Well it still runs really it starts but when I give it gas it cuts out and ether dies right away or I can let off in time and it will return to normal until it gets to temp the car just loses fuel preaure and begins choking out I can keep it running only slitly after temp if I ease into the throttle but it eventually doesn't matter and just dies It's driving me crazy as to what this could possible be if anyone has any ideas I'm open to anything at this point it's been 6 months or so and I was in the prosses of making it 4wd and I can't with a mystery problem.
Old 01-26-2016, 09:05 PM
I never narc'd on nobody!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Honda starts then dies at temp

There's no such thing as a 1.5L Y7. What block do you have your Y7 head mated to? What ECU are you using? What cam gear? Is your CEL on? Does it work?
Old 01-27-2016, 12:39 AM
Trial User

The issue may be caused by a bad ignition control module.
Old 02-07-2016, 02:22 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by NotARaCist
There's no such thing as a 1.5L Y7. What block do you have your Y7 head mated to? What ECU are you using? What cam gear? Is your CEL on? Does it work?
I know they don't make a 1.5l y7 I took a y7 non vtech head from a 1996. I'm using the usual b7 block with they b7 ecu with b7 dizzy and y7 plugs and wires using the b7 cam gear cuz the y7 was bent I head some were if I don't switch to the y7 or p28 ecu my car might do something like this but I'm not sure not a lot of people do this build its usually a y8. My cell doesn't work consistently I tried to pull codes off of it and it never blinked any codes but when I started it a couple days be for my cell light was on so maybe my ecu or ignition system. My car will start twice a day every day but it is with in 4-6 hours a part.when my car ran the cell light would come on with the morning start then I could turn it off then back on and the light would be gone then if I let it sit 4-6 hours or an average 8 hour work day the light would be on but same thing I could turn it off then back on and it would go away so I this maybe my car only starts when assosiated with that light. Thanks for the reply
Old 02-07-2016, 02:36 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by dustytones
The issue may be caused by a bad ignition control module.
So how would I test that take a volt meter and check all my volts and ground through the ignition system?