Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

honda hub bearing

Old 09-30-2002, 12:46 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default honda hub bearing

i broke 2 studs while driving last night, and i stripped my hub, it now needs to be replaced. i went to a shop today without my car, and they said they needed my vin number to find out what hub i need b/c there are different performance grades for my 94 ex coupe/no-abs, ive never heard of this before, can someone fill me in. i also called the honda parts dept and they didnt know what that ment either, why would a shop need my vin number for that? sould i get the parts myself?
Old 09-30-2002, 12:52 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: honda hub bearing (euclid)

First of all, you don't need to replace your hubs. You can replace just the wheel studs (if in fact that is all that is wrong...snapped/stripped wheel studs). You will need the hubs pressed out. You can take your car to a shop and have them pressed out, or you can take the knuckle off the car yourself and take the hubs to a shop to have them pressed out. While they are doing that, just have them replace your wheel studs and press the hub back in. Second, I don't know why they would need your VIN number....i've never gone to a shop to ask to have this done, but I see no reason to need a VIN number to find a wheel hub.
At any point, good luck.
Old 09-30-2002, 01:55 PM

Default Re: honda hub bearing (JesseR)

ok, new info... it turns out the shop i went to wasnt dealing w/ genuine honda parts, and he was going to sell me no-names. i just thought my hub was stripped b/c the 2 remaining studs are jiggling, i told the mechanic this and he told me its b/c the hubs stripped, and needs to be replaced.... youre saying that its the thred on the actual stud thats bad?, this makes sense but how can i know for sure? the difference between a new hub and new studs is like $150. i think he needed my vin # b/c he was getting universal bearings. should i buy replacement bearings anyway from honda? lastly, even if the teeth on the hub are bad, could i just have the studs spot-welded in place so they dont' rotate? thanks for your help, everybodys been dickin me.
Old 10-01-2002, 05:52 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: honda hub bearing (euclid)

Without looking at it, I can't tell you what exactly is wrong. It could be the teeth on the stud that stripped, or it could be the teeth on the hub that hold the stud that stripped (I would guess it's the stud teeth that stripped, but I could be wrong.) You could spot weld them into place, but I'm not sure how reliable they would be or if they would compromise the integrity of the wheel studs or hub? If you are having the hub out, it might not be a bad time to replace the wheel bearings as well (about $35 each from manhonda.com if i remember correctly). Sorry I can't be of more help, but when it comes to the bearings, I would go with Honda.