Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Honda Electrical Gremlins / Problems

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-2005, 05:22 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Honda Electrical Gremlins / Problems - Reward offered -

Okay,
So for the past two days I've been having electrical problems

Car: 93 Civic Hatch with d16z6 swapped in with Uberdata ran P28. Stock.

<u>Problem:</u>

<u>Yesterday</u>: DRiving to work it was pretty hot for around here, like 25 degrees and my car starting losing power and died after accelerating from a light. I pulled into a parking lot and tried to start the car. Died on the first try. Died again on the second try. Third time I gave it some gas and it started.. a bit groggy but started.

After leaving the parking lot I got onto an onramp and started accelrating again. When I got on the highway it started losing power again but went away. Not 20 seconds later it started losing power again. The motor shut of and then I get a CEL. FSCK!

I pulled over and hauled the ECU out of the stock location. took off the cover and turned the ECU back to stock programming. It started without a CEL after fiddling with it for a minute and I started off again. Then I realized my 10amp fuse was blown for my turn signals as well as the one for my hazard lights.

I got home after work and replaced the fuse 3 times and it just kept blowing. I put in a 15amp and it was fine and then put a 10 in and it was good again.

<u>Today</u>: I got up and went to the gym this morning. First thing I checked was to see if the cluster lights were ok and they were. I drove to the gym and back with no troubles. This evening After some light driving I blew the gauge cluster fuse again. I replaced it twice and it kept blowing.

So I drove it around the block and everything seemed fine from what I could tell. I pulled into my driveway and shut off the car. I then put the ECU back in the stock location and turned the key. FSCKing CEL again! and idling fine. So I took the ECU back out and laid it on the floor. Restarted the car, no CEL's. So I then left off that little plate that covers the wires and I managed to put the ECU back in the stock location without it. I then restarted the car and it died on me again, three times. I took the ECU out and just left it on the floor. Restarted the car, no CEL's no idle problems. Nothing.

What in the sweet gods name is wrong here? I researched a bit on H-T and I found that in hot weather older cars like my EG can have problems with the main relay. I don't think that would explain the blowing of the fuses though.

If you give me the answer I'll paypal you $5.

Terrabomb

Modified by Terrabomb at 10:48 PM 7/8/2005
Old 07-08-2005, 05:26 PM

Default Re: Honda Electrical Gremlins / Problems (Terrabomb)

Sounds like there might be a short in the ecu. If something inside were touching the case it would be grounding itself out when the ecu touches the metal on the car. That would explain the blown fuses and why it doesn't happen when it (ecu) isn't in contact with metal. Open up the ecu case and check to make sure nothing is contacting anything it shouldn't (ie: crappy solder, condensation, excessive dust).
Old 07-08-2005, 05:48 PM

Default Re: Honda Electrical Gremlins / Problems - Reward offered - (Terrabomb)

I'll check that out first tomorrow. I need some more opinions. I also was told to check the ground on the thermostat for problems (by a honda technician).
Old 07-08-2005, 07:19 PM

5 bucks.. c'mon.. I need some more opinions or guidance here.
Old 07-08-2005, 10:16 PM
* B A N N E D *

Definately there seems to be a short that comes in contact only at certain times. I'm guessing you need to check the PINs on all your electrical, especially the ECU's.
Old 07-09-2005, 02:46 AM
Honda-Tech Member

can i ask why youre running uberdata on a stock car/motor? when you or someone put the chip in the p28 is most likely when these short to grounds like the 2 guys before me mentioned. if you got any virgin p28s laying around or even one you can barrow from a buddy, throw it in the car in the stock location and see if anything happens? if nothing, you found your problem. nuff said now 5 dollars to all 3 of us jk
Old 07-09-2005, 03:00 AM
Farts in the shower

Sounds like a bad connection from your main harness to your ecu (since it doesn't happen when you lay the ecu on the floor).

I would look into getting a new ecu or possibly getting your p28 rechipped or try swapping in your old ecu.