Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Honda Distributor Leak and Shaft Play (TD-63U)

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2016, 09:47 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Honda Distributor Leak and Shaft Play (TD-63U)

Hi All,

I have recently discovered an oil pool under my cars (the engine is well ...a mix of D16Y7 and D16Y8.. codenamed B15C2 , US closest equivalent to a 1999-2000 Civic) distributor. The part number of the distributor is TD-63U. I found several threads on honda-tech as well as on You tube whereby most common causes of leakage is a failed O ring.

In order to acertain the leakage location, I took off my distributor and it seem that leak was from where distributor mates with the engine block. Although O ring looked fine but I believe it might have already past its useful life. I didn't see any oil dripping from Distributor Plastic housing so there may be a good chance that it may not be an internal leak

One thing that I discovered was that there was a small play in the distributor shaft. I have captured that in this video below. Although the shaft was freely rotating without any issue or any restriction/sound.

1). Do you know if this play is normal and doesn't demand an immediate attention?
2). Secondly, Since this O ring is more or less a static (Non Rotating Seal, Can the oil leak be fixed by coating this seal and the area around it with some RTV/Gasket Maker? Any suggestions here?

Thanks Much in advance.

I have begun my search for an Oring but so far it seems like a it's a dodo.. .. No one here seem to stock it..

Distributor Part Number - TD-63U

Location of Oil leaks. The bigger Arrow points to the area where Oil drips while the smaller Arrows show the areas where I note oil stains
Old 02-08-2016, 12:27 AM
Shit Posts: 15

Default Re: Honda Distributor Leak and Shaft Play (TD-63U)

Hmm. I'm not sure if the play is normal or not.
The teeth don't slide into the shaft tightly either so I'm guessing it's normal. Haven't messed with a distributor in a while so I'm not sure on that.

As far as for using sealant on the o ring. Yes you can do that.
But if you ever replace the distributor. There will be left over sealant in there that will have to be cleaned out for another good deal between o ring and head.
If you do decide to seal it. Clean the o ring and port on head very well and time the distributor right away before the sealant dries!

Try googling "Honda parts catalog" to find an o ring.
Or take it to an auto parts store and find something similar. Good luck.
Old 02-11-2016, 08:38 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Thanks a lot man! Appreciate your reply!

I got honda part name from all knowing Google.. Its 30110-PA1-732 O-Ring (26.4X3.1) (Tec). However, none of the local automotive dealers are stocking it now... Amazon US/Ebay/Honda parts dealing sites have the part in stock but due to geographical constraints, I might not be able to pay for it or get it shipped to India. From Aliexpress, the combined cost of the ring and shipping and shipping timeframe doesn't not seem like a viable option for now but I may keep it as the last option.

Earlier there used to be a good availability of parts for this Honda but lately after a law has been passed to scrape all petrol vehicles > 15 years of age in Delhi (mine still have good 2 years of life left), the dealers are no longer stocking parts specially these which are not consumables.

So finally I searched the local industrial O seal manufacturing/distributors and managed to get some O rings but unfortunately none of them have exact dimension to match Honda specs..

Following are the O rings (matching as close as possible to Honda spec) I could find

Actual specs - 26.4x3.1

What I found
Option 1) 25x3.5
Option 2) 26x3

Option 1) 25x3.5
I suspect 25x3.5 will be a better and tighter fit on the distributor shaft due to its smaller inner diameter by 1 mm, also it may have a snuggy outer fit into engine as the outter dia is bigger by good .4 mm.. But only if I could fit it properly without straining it much

Option 2)25x3
On the other hand 26x3 may have better close to stock fitment barring a difference of 0.1 mm in width which might be insignificant but then it may not do the job as motor oil with its free flowing and lubrication properties may just be happy seeping out of small crevices formed due to the difference of 0.1 mm

Any advices? Which one should be better option in your opinion? and if there is a way to make this work within the two options available?
Old 02-13-2016, 07:31 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Hi guys,
I think I was manage to solve the issue. Drove the car a few kilometers and didn't see any oil leakage.

What I did was first tried using the thicker seal. it fit well on the distributor shaft but unfortunately it didn't fit the engine slot. So I decided to use the thinner O ring but was apprehensive of oil leakage due to smaller thickness.
To address that I used a good quality cotton thread and made a thin thread layer by wrapping the distributor shaft with it. I used a half drop of adhesive to seal its open ends. Then I put the o ring on top of the thread seat and fitted tge distributor back..
Keeping my fingers crossed

checking oil leakage with engine running post my DIY

old seal.. looks a bit flat on the top but little wider than the one I got

different sized o rings.. the left one is the OEM that was leaking. the right one is the thicker one.. and the e middle one is the new one that I finally used over a layer of cotton thread
Old 02-13-2016, 07:15 PM

Glad you got it fixed. I didn't think of this at the time of my reply. But wrapping Teflon tape around the new O ring might help also if any leakage appears.
The old O ring does look worn out and stretched.
Old 02-14-2016, 02:49 AM
I never narc'd on nobody!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Teflon, on the distributor O ring? Sounds like a great way to introduce **** into your motor when the spinning rips that teflon right off...
Old 02-14-2016, 07:47 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Drove my car for about 80-90 kms (45-50 miles) today and voila ... distributor is all dry

Thanks a lot JDMswagSerf!

I think Teflon tape might work great as this is a non moving/Static seal. Alternatively, s plan B, I was thinking of coating it with a RTV gasket maker and then sliding it in the engine slot .

And now today, seems that a new problem has begun to show up.. A few times today, my car refused to go beyond 2000 RPM. Doesn't matter how much the accelerator pedal was pressed.. and then the other times, it behaved wonderfully fine... Hopefully, its should not be related to my DIY as I marked the distributor for timing before removing, made sure that the two splits/grooves (not sure what to call them) went in in right order/alignment and also didn't remove the spark plug wires. But keeping my eyes and ears open to all possible causes..
Old 02-15-2016, 10:13 PM

Originally Posted by NotARaCist
Teflon, on the distributor O ring? Sounds like a great way to introduce **** into your motor when the spinning rips that teflon right off...
The o ring does not spin.
Old 02-15-2016, 10:15 PM

The rpm issue is something else.
Any check engine lights come on while this happened?