Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Honda del sol b16a engine bay smells gas

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-2014, 11:31 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Honda del sol b16a engine bay smells gas

Hello i have a JDM del sol with a B16A engine (no swap).The engine bay smells gas but i can't find where the smell comes from.i changed a few stuff but nothing helped.i changed the fuel pressure regulator,all 4 injectors but nothing happened.I can't see any leaks but the engine bay smells gas all the time.When i got my car for ispection the guy said that i have "unburned" fuel.I think he is correct as i checked my spark plugs and they had a gray color like someone sprayed primer on them.i went to a mechanic that made a compression test and said that i was losing compression and that my gasket needed replacement,I should also mention that i was not happy with my car's performance in low rev something was holding it back.after the gasket replacement the low revs are improved but i still have that gas smell.i then checked my tps and found that it was dead,so i replaced it and adjust it to correct values. 0.47 v closed butterfly and 5.0 full open butterfly.i also changed my o2 sensor from one from ebay and i also changed the map sensor again from ebay but still the same thing.the exhaust guy said that my cat is ok.So am lost,i think i have power loss due to unburned fuel but can't find the reason.The mechanic also checked the fuel pressure and said that it was normal.I reset the ecu and i also tried another ecu.still same.I have no CEL.Could this gas smell be the power loss and where it's coming from?Any help will be appriciated.Thanks
Old 07-07-2014, 11:39 PM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Default Re: Honda del sol b16a engine bay smells gas

Buy a good oxygen sensor not an eBay piece of junk.

this lil guy helps the engine see how much gasoline it needs to inject. If it doesn't work right, your engine could run 'rich', which means unburned fuel.

did you convert the JDM engine over to your market? I'm assuming the European car is like an American car, where we use different sensors and stuff and all that needs to be modified to work with your car or else you end up with problems like the one you have.
Old 07-07-2014, 11:42 PM
Honda-Tech Member

thanks for the quick reply.so unburned fuel can make the engine bay smell gas?without having any fuel leaks?i will buy a new oxygen sensor and see what happens
Old 07-08-2014, 12:09 AM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Try to make sure you get a good one, its not always about price. You want a higher quality one, atleast as good as one you would get at a Honda dealership.

it may not be why you smell gas under the bonnet, its a significant problem though. Its a big source of pollution and it hurts people and the earth. Airborne hydrocarbons are pretty damn toxic.

have you checked the fuel line to thoroughly ensure there are absolutely no leaks? Sometimes the gaskets in the fuel rail go bad, sometimes the fuel filter washers are reused creating enough of a leak for gasoline vapors to escape but not liquid.

you can probably do this yourself instead of having a mechanic do it.
Old 07-08-2014, 12:46 AM
Honda-Tech Member

i will check today and let you know