Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Honda del sol Alarm system preventing start up after battery replacement

Old 05-29-2011, 09:15 PM
Trial User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Honda del sol Alarm system preventing start up after battery replacement

Can a car alarm system prevent a car from starting with a turn key? I no longer have the electronic device that unlocks the car and disables the alarm to my car. I have been using the turn key for nearly a year. I have 95 honda del sol.

First, I left my lights on, and tried numerous attempts at jumping. Then, I figured I should take my battery in and determine if its still chargable and the conclusion was negative, so I bought and installed a new battery. When I try turning on the vehicle the alarm engages, then the dash lights up to indicate power but the car is not turning on.

I should explain that I am not the original owner of the vehicle, so I am not sure if the alarm is factory or not, but Im guessing it must be. I also am not entirely experienced in car mechanics so I am not sure if the problem is being caused by other factors.

Would you recommend I call the honda dealership?
Old 05-29-2011, 09:31 PM
H-T White Ops

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts
Default Re: Honda del sol Alarm system preventing start up after battery replacement

I had something similar happen in a car. There was a starter kill. There was a valet switch hidden in the car as well, but the install was old and the switch didn't work reliably. FUN!

So I had the alarm removed (don't know electrical and didn't want to screw anything up) and I didn't have any problem starting the car again until that car decided to have lots of problems eating voltage regulators. Well, that being the problem. It's not had a problem eating a voltage regulator since about September. Nom nom nom.
Old 07-06-2017, 06:51 PM
Trial User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Honda del sol Alarm system preventing start up after battery replacement

Originally Posted by NOFX
I had something similar happen in a car. There was a starter kill. There was a valet switch hidden in the car as well, but the install was old and the switch didn't work reliably. FUN!

So I had the alarm removed (don't know electrical and didn't want to screw anything up) and I didn't have any problem starting the car again until that car decided to have lots of problems eating voltage regulators. Well, that being the problem. It's not had a problem eating a voltage regulator since about September. Nom nom nom.
I am having the same problem on my 97 del sol. When I bought it from a dealership it was used and they told me to press a locking/unlocking button on a keyless remote. After I did that then I could turn it on. But recently the car hasn't been starting. The keyless remote works for sure, I also tried disconnecting the receiver to see if I could just start it up without the need to press the button but that also didn't work. Any suggestions?
Old 07-06-2017, 08:53 PM
Hysterically Calm

Received 561 Likes on 480 Posts

Originally Posted by Mittelstaedt
I am having the same problem on my 97 del sol. When I bought it from a dealership it was used and they told me to press a locking/unlocking button on a keyless remote. After I did that then I could turn it on. But recently the car hasn't been starting. The keyless remote works for sure, I also tried disconnecting the receiver to see if I could just start it up without the need to press the button but that also didn't work. Any suggestions?
Did your battery die and you replaced it and now can't start the car?

If so try disconnecting the battery, putting your key into the ignition and turning it to the On (II) position, then reconnect the battery.

Turn the key off and see if you can "disarm" the alarm with your remote and then try starting the car.

Last edited by TomCat39; 07-07-2017 at 07:15 AM.
Old 07-07-2017, 04:36 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 46 Likes on 43 Posts

Jump the starter, if it still does not crank you have a bad starter, bad connection at the battery, etc-- some problem under the hood not related to the security system.

To jump the starter, unplug the small wire from the starter and connect the terminal on the starter for the small wire to the battery (+) with a test wire. Make absolutely sure the transmission is in park or neutral and the hand brake is on. Stand to the side of the car so it can't run over you if it does inadvertently move.