Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Honda civic weight loss.. any ideas?

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-2007, 09:17 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Honda civic weight loss.. any ideas?

Yeah.. i know these are light cars already.. but i was wondering.. other than a cf/fbglass hood/fenders/trunk, noise insulation, and spare tire/jack, is there anything that can be taken out that's worth it, and not entirely too insane?

I was going to take my rear seats out today but they seem pretty light as is.

also.. cheapest cf/fbglass hood that isn't a piece of sh**.. any reccomendations?
Old 08-02-2007, 09:23 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

oh god just turbo it
Old 08-02-2007, 09:25 PM
H-T White Ops

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts
Default Re: Honda civic weight loss.. any ideas? (Neptronix)

Honestly, removing or replacing any of that on a stock car isn't going to do a whole lot of help.

Focus on making the engine more powerful instead of trying to reduce the already low weight.
Old 08-02-2007, 09:27 PM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Remove 1 lug nut from each wheel.
Old 08-02-2007, 09:32 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Lasty K)

sure.

Just looking to free up a little torque without spending much $$$ cuz i'm saving for a swap.. ( but it'll be a while ).

Weight removal seems ideal ;p
Old 08-02-2007, 09:33 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Lasty K)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Lasty K &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Remove 1 lug nut from each wheel.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Go with a light set of wheels to lower the rotating mass. Aftermarket LCA. Lexan glass. Fiberglass body, you could go on and on, but its just cheaper to go turbo.
Old 08-02-2007, 09:37 PM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

But yea, serious answer - get boosties.
Old 08-02-2007, 09:40 PM
H-T White Ops

Carbon fiber hatches and trunks - I've heard of rattling issues with these, plus you have to drill sometimes to attach latches and add keyholes and plate garnishes and such.

Carbon fiber hoods - Make sure you get hood pins. I've seen hoods fly up after the latch end on the hood fails.

Wheels - Might lighten the rotating mass, but still unlikely to make a measurable difference (unless you've been using some big wheels). Downside could also be that many expensive lightweight wheels up your chance of your car being stolen, but I would invest in security to keep that from happening. Then your only enemy is curbs and potholes.

Lexan Glass - Beside being illegal, it's also very dangerous in the event of a crash. Also a pain to replace much of the glass on the car.

Most ways to lighten a daily driver makes it less comfortable or safe for daily driving.

You could make better gains by using the money you'd spend on carbon fiber, lexan and fiberglass on actual go fast parts instead.
Old 08-02-2007, 09:51 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (NOFX)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by NOFX &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Carbon fiber hatches and trunks - I've heard of rattling issues with these, plus you have to drill sometimes to attach latches and add keyholes and plate garnishes and such.

Carbon fiber hoods - Make sure you get hood pins. I've seen hoods fly up after the latch end on the hood fails.

Wheels - Might lighten the rotating mass, but still unlikely to make a measurable difference (unless you've been using some big wheels). Downside could also be that many expensive lightweight wheels up your chance of your car being stolen, but I would invest in security to keep that from happening. Then your only enemy is curbs and potholes.

Lexan Glass - Beside being illegal, it's also very dangerous in the event of a crash. Also a pain to replace much of the glass on the car.

Most ways to lighten a daily driver makes it less comfortable or safe for daily driving.

You could make better gains by using the money you'd spend on carbon fiber, lexan and fiberglass on actual go fast parts instead.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Plus it cost a whole lot. I was just giving a kind of sarcastic answer. That doesnt work to well when your typing though.
Old 08-02-2007, 10:03 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (smileycvc)

Yeah.. carbon fiber stuff is f'in rediculous. I will get a cf/fb hood eventually though. ( and paint it my car's color.. )

So i take it that i'm pretty much done losing weight unless i want a rattlebox with no seats. eh?

My car came with some *nice* looking 17's.. sportmax 940's. I've no idea how heavy they are, but they look very 'baller' haha.. maybe i should sell them and get some 16's.. what's a good value on light(er) rims? i hear rota is good..

Old 08-02-2007, 11:09 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Honda civic weight loss.. any ideas? (Neptronix)

what i did for my weight loss was getting lighter rims i got gramlight 57cs they weigh nothing i took out my spare and tools and spare tires took out my back seats and lost weight and i also lost weight i weighed before 160 i weigh 150 now and loosing ten pounds plus getting rims and spare stuff and seats it actually works lol my tools took out i ran a ls with exhuast and headers and i couldnt beat it before when i did this i could beat it ask me how i guess by loosing weigh
Old 08-02-2007, 11:14 PM
Honda-Tech Member

i got crazy and took out all the a/c, everything even under the dash too. i dont think its makes a BIG difference, but it does make a defference. My .02 cents
Old 08-02-2007, 11:17 PM
Banned

Go on a diet.
Old 08-02-2007, 11:32 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (yoffer)

Now there's a novel concept.
I'm sure my 220lbs isn't helping.

hmm.. yeah i was noticing most ricers around here are short, skinny and japanese or filipino.

Maybe the lack of torque begins with my fat american ***
lol

But really. Sounds like 15's are the way to go for these cars.
I imagine gramlight's are ungodly expensive.. maybe some rotas?
Old 08-02-2007, 11:34 PM
Banned

You can buy some passwordjdm lug nuts. They are MUCH lighter.
Old 08-02-2007, 11:41 PM

you plan on going to a track anytime soon? cuz the only place you will notice a difference is there and if you do that you better take out everything...

also taking out the spare of your daily driver could leave you high and dry one day...
tools also help sometimes during the build stages and you have to fix something not at your house...

like everyone else said... just start doing bolt ons... or boost it... or just wait for the swap... untill then you could just completely gut it... run 9582394 miles every day get to be like 90lbs... take of all ac, airbags, seat, (except driver) you don't really need a dash... or speakers, or power windows or anything power...

(i bought parts instead)
Old 08-02-2007, 11:45 PM
Honda-Tech Member

You can also buy a passwordjdm carbon fiber glass of shut the hell up.
j/k.
Old 08-02-2007, 11:47 PM
Banned

You can also take out your spare tire and jack.
Old 08-02-2007, 11:47 PM
Honda-Tech Member

if youre fat then lose weight. otherwise everything else can be found on the board with a simple search.

every little bit counts.

personally i left EVERYTHING in my car. i just made it faster and i like it. comfy and quick
Old 08-02-2007, 11:49 PM
H-T White Ops

Default Re: (Neptronix)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Neptronix &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">You can also buy a passwordjdm carbon fiber glass of shut the hell up.
j/k. </TD></TR></TABLE>
He's just telling you the same thing everyone else is mostly telling you. It's not worth it and daily use will only show a difference in performance of the lack of sound deadening and the addition of rattles and thumps. You're not going to feel any faster and will likely only experience negatively from the stripping of your car.

In fact, I've often heard of people being upset that they have stripped their car out, especially when it's caused them to damage or lose parts which they would now like back in the car.
Old 08-02-2007, 11:54 PM
Banned

I personally dont like stripping out my car for weight loss. Its not worth my time and effort to remove it from my car so that i can lose extra weight from my car, knowing that i cant really feel a difference what so ever.
Old 08-03-2007, 01:01 AM

Default Re: (Neptronix)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Neptronix &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">You can also buy a passwordjdm carbon fiber glass of shut the hell up.
j/k. </TD></TR></TABLE>

... i was actually giving you good advice if you understood it...

its not worth it unless you already have the horsepower... if you use the car as a daily driver i suggest not stripping anything... maybe the sparetire and jack but that has come in hand after running over a nail...

its all personal choice... if its not a daily driver and going to be a drag car...

strip everything...
Old 08-03-2007, 04:21 AM

Default Re: (mckrank313)

https://honda-tech.com/zerothread?id=692729

https://honda-tech.com/zerothread?id=512955

https://honda-tech.com/zerothread?id=525936

https://honda-tech.com/zerothread?id=512901

https://honda-tech.com/zerothread?id=690687
Old 08-03-2007, 05:32 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re:

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Neptronix &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">sure.

Just looking to free up a little torque without spending much $$$ cuz i'm saving for a swap.. ( but it'll be a while ).
</TD></TR></TABLE>

Spending 800+ on a CF Hood/Trunk is not worth it IMO. That is too much money for what you get. I would take out the spare tire jack and drop down to some 15-16's. If you are hell bent on taking out interior pieces... take out your back seat (assuming you have a coupe) and replace the bottom part with some mdf covered in cloth that matches your interior. I have wanted to do this because I hate my back seat. I have seen pics and it looks really good/clean

Weight reduction on a DD FTL!
Old 08-03-2007, 05:40 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Re: (95ProjectEJ1)

MDF weighs a ton

it better be really thin stuff

Quick Reply: Honda civic weight loss.. any ideas?