Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Honda civic starting problem

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-2004, 06:32 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Honda civic starting problem

I have this starting problem in my 92 Honda Civic.I have replaced the IGNITION COIL and also found out that my FUEL FILTER was faulty. so I replaced both.

Its been two weeks after replacing it I had no problem...but the problem started again
The motor would turn each time and the car would start but then
immediately die. This happens several times before the car would start.
I live in Texas so its not weather related. Like I said it happens not very often but often enough bother me. Again, the car starts but then dies immediately. If I keep
trying, it starts after several attempts and then starts normally for a
couple of days before doing the same. Any help is highly appreciated.
Thanks ...
Old 08-05-2004, 06:36 AM

Default Re: Honda civic starting problem (shettysaab)

Is it doing it when the engine is cold, warm, or hot, or any time?

fs
Old 08-05-2004, 06:38 AM

Default Re: Honda civic starting problem (filthy_shovel)

any time
Old 08-05-2004, 06:40 AM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by filthy_shovel &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Is it doing it when the engine is cold, warm, or hot, or any time?

fs</TD></TR></TABLE>

Mine does that when its reaaly hot outside. Otherwise it starts perfectly fine. I am curious why it does this but its really not a big deal.

Will it start if you give it gas?
Old 08-05-2004, 06:42 AM

Default Re: Honda civic starting problem (uncle)

I think you problem can be the Main Relay.....mine if I try to give gas before the engine stops might start sometime but not always
Old 08-05-2004, 06:44 AM

It is not as simple as it may appear. Forget about the main relay for now.

That could be a bunch of things. Intermittent stalling is difficult to diagnose.

Is you check engine light on?

When is stalls, does it simply shut down, or does it hiccup and such?

Do you have to crank it long to start it after it has stalled?

Have you made any mods to this car before this started?

fs
Old 08-05-2004, 06:48 AM

No my check engine light is not on
When is stalls,it simply shut down
I have not made any mods to this car before this started.I just bought it on May 10th.
When it stalls I prefer to crank it longer.......I dunno its because of that it starts if starts.Also if the car stalls for the first time then it won't start immidiately.
Old 08-05-2004, 07:02 AM

even though you changed your fuel filter, you could still have some obstruction in the fuel lines themselves. when you try to crank the motor? do you start to smell the gasoline?

several people on this forum experienced the same problem as you and have concluded it was the main relay. you could search for the threads, theres hundreds of them.
Old 08-05-2004, 07:04 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Ignition switch. Unfortunately for your car you can't buy just the switch. You have to purchase the entire key cylinder. It's like $350, but you can get it at the junkyard for $35. Just take the switch off the one you buy and put it on the old cylinder, that way you don't have to have different keys for the door and ignition.
Old 08-05-2004, 07:08 AM

Default Re: Honda civic starting problem (JRI94)

It could be the switch. To test, when to car is running, wiggle the switch and see if it stalls on you..

fs
Old 08-05-2004, 07:10 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by filthy_shovel &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">It could be the switch. To test, when to car is running, wiggle the switch and see if it stalls on you..

fs</TD></TR></TABLE>

I had the exact same symptoms. I tried that and it wouldn't work for me with my old switch or new (used) switch, but I haven't had a problem since I put the new (used) switch in about 4-5 months ago.
Old 08-05-2004, 07:28 AM

Default Re: Honda civic starting problem (RoadRage04)

how do u check for the obstruction in the fuel line...also I never have a problem when the car is running....its just the start.
Old 08-05-2004, 10:06 AM

Oh you guys, there was a recall, I don't know if you have the same year though. I have a 99 Honda Civic and there was a recall for the ignition switch, which was described as resulting in the car stalling. I am getting mine fixed, for free. You should check and see if your year was included in the recall.
Old 08-05-2004, 10:38 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Honda civic starting problem (hondaciviclover)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by hondaciviclover &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Oh you guys, there was a recall, I don't know if you have the same year though...</TD></TR></TABLE>

There was no recall on the 5th gens. The recall on the 6th gens is the reason you can buy just the switch, whereas you can't for the 5th gens. I wonder if perhaps the switch is the same though.
Old 08-05-2004, 11:34 AM

Default Re: Honda civic starting problem (JRI94)

since you like in texas, it might be vapor lock.

try opening your gas cap to ease the pressur.

works for me when I park my car in the sun the whole day.

you should here a PTSHHH
Old 08-05-2004, 11:54 AM

Default Re: Honda civic starting problem (Daniel_san)

I have a friend I'm helping out with a similar problem. His is a '93LX hatchback. If it's very hot out, the car might not start. If he stops to fuel up it might not start again. It seems to start okay when it's cool.

He seems to feel that if it coughs, that pumping the pedal helps. Usually it's just fine or just dead.

I've had him pull the main relay out and checked it out thoroughly. The solder joints are all just fine but touched them up just the same. The relay closes fine on the workbench even when heated up toasty warm.

He believes that when the car fails to start, the fuel pump does not run momentarily. He also doesn't think he heard the main relay close. He's not really sure as it's his son's car.

Are there any other frequent issues with this model? I've read elsewhere that the ignitor could be failing. However when the car starts, it runs great. A mechanic friend suggested a failing pickup coil. I don't see one listed on parts sites. Is this built into the ignitor?

I've left a timing light with him to check for spark next time.

Any ideas?
Old 08-12-2004, 11:26 PM

Default Re: Honda civic starting problem (JohnOr)

I guess no one has any ideas?
Old 08-13-2004, 02:36 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Honda civic starting problem (JohnOr)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by JohnOr &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I guess no one has any ideas?</TD></TR></TABLE>

You've already been told to check the ignition switch. I had a problem just like this, as I've already said. Could be your fuel pump as well - or vapor lock. Read your thread! You HAVE beeb given ideas.
Old 08-14-2004, 09:12 PM

Default Re: Honda civic starting problem (JimmyAtlantis)

Actually, it's not my thread. I jumped on Shetysaab's thread later because I'm working with a similar problem. I've consdiered the replies he got. I've ruled out the ignition switch because the problem seems to relate to the car being hot. The switch is good and solid to drive when the engine is running. Wiggling the key around in the ignition doesn't solve the problem when the engine won't start. Letting the interior of the car cool down will allow it to start when he waits that long.

I read this and other threads concerning "main relay won't operate when hot" and suggested to my friend that the "main relay" could be his problem. I explained to him that this powers the fuel pump and asked him to get into the habit of listening for the fuel pump to run a moment when he turns the ignition on before cranking the engine.

My friend reported that he believes the fuel pump did not run nor did the main relay click on the occasions he encountered the no-start situation. However I am talking with folks who are not car guys so the commens may not be completely accurate.

In any case, he removed the main relay and brought it to me to examine. All the solder connections looked satisfactory. We toggled the relay dozens of times with a 12VDC bench power supply. The relay closed quickly and reliably. When closed, continuity was satisfactory through the contact pair. Just because we could, we resoldered all the solder connections for this main relay. He has reinstalled it in his car. The hot-start problem had not occured since. However we didn't find anything wrong with the relay or its connections. It has not been as hot this last week as it was when he had trouble with non-start. I'm not convinced we found the cause.

So, I'm asking what other things I can look for if this does not solve his problem? What should the fuel pump resistance measure? Are there any easy ways to measure fuel pressure? I didn't see any gauge port anywhere on the fuel rail. Is there a schematic available online for the starting system,fuel pump,ignition,and computer connections?

I thought I read somewhere that if this relay was bad, the car can run okay but it can't start. Since this powers the fuel pump, I don't see how. Can anyone explain? Someone advised pumping the gas pedal when turning it off so gas would be in the system to start on the next try.

Does this "main relay run the fuel pump, the ignition system, the engine computer? What is connected to it?

Thanks all,

JohnOrmond