Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Honda Civic EX (2000) Constant Load, Stalls Out When Cold

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2012, 07:05 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Honda Civic EX (2000) Constant Load, Stalls Out When Cold

Ok, I posted a while back and I still am having some more issues with this vehicle.

Codes we have pulled:
Misfiring on all cylinders (4 separate codes that will pop at random intervals)
Random Misfire
Lean on bank 1

Symptoms:
-Car starts, major misfiring. Car adjusts air/fuel and the car seems to work OK. During cold start the car will stall out when it's under major load or accelerating from a stop. When it warms up and the car is turned off/turned back on the stalling goes away (but accelerating from a stop one can still experience a slight stall [similar to a messed up IACV])
-High idle (around 900.. slowly creeps down to 500 at a stop)
-Load is at 30%+ at idle
-Car is adding about 16% fuel long term
-Computer is reading 3.4 Hg pressure at 1800 RPM (essentially no vacuum which doesn't make much sense)

What we have done:
-Originally we replaced the head gasket, heads resurfaced, had the bolts inspected and reused them. Replaced all gaskets. Replaced intake manifold gasket a 2nd time due to a vacuum leak (bad gasket)
-Replaced Knock, MAF, MAP, IACV, Thermostat, Coolant Temp Sensor, Dizzy, wires, plugs, fan switch (what originally caused our overheat...).. Pretty much ever sensor but O2 and crank sensor
-Checked for vacuum leaks with carb cleaner. Replaced leaking intake manifold gasket. Replaced all hoses except from the brake booster
-Smoked the car for vacuum leaks and found a leak by the brake booster and repaired that

So there it is. We are going to get it smoked again this weekend at my buddies shop but short of replacing the computer or a possible vacuum leak somewhere else... I am out of ideas. Any help would be appreciated.
Old 02-23-2012, 06:59 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Honda Civic EX (2000) Constant Load, Stalls Out When Cold

Update/Bump:

Timed the car (again) just to make sure it was set correctly. Still nada, same issues. Anyone have any experience diagnosing a bad computer? Or any other way to check for vacuum leaks besides a smoke machine/carb cleaner (and that could yield different results)? Could a fuse or relay affect timing or air/fuel?
Old 04-09-2012, 05:49 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Honda Civic EX (2000) Constant Load, Stalls Out When Cold

We have fixed the issue and just wanted to post what we found.

We never set the valve lash in the car when we replaced the head gasket (we thought we shouldn't need to because they were hydraulic, but alas we were wrong) and it was enough to mask the real problem: the MAP sensor. Once the valve lash was set properly the computer instantly threw the bad MAP code (and we weren't expecting this either because the sensor is new) but the MAP fits all the symptoms of our problem. Once we bought a new MAP sensor the car was A-OK.

We did not even think about setting valve lash until we did a search on this forum and I came across it. Afterwards, we did a search for lean on bank 1 through Mitchell1 and found out the troubleshooting steps and away we went. So here is a thank you from us

...Now I have a rebuilt ECU for a 2000 Honda Civic EX if anyone needs it, LOL (bought it preemptively in case it was an ECU issue).