Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Honda Civic Code 14 trouble

Old 10-25-2015, 01:26 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Icon4 Honda Civic Code 14 trouble

Hello, I have a 1995 Honda Civic with a V-tech 1.6 engine, the check engine light is on and flashing code 14 for Idle Air Control. The issue started with hunting. We fixed the hunting, it only works in one position though. If we move it to the left or right a little it will start hunting again. We replaced the throttle position sensor and that didn't work either.
Me and my Dad have done everything in the manual to do and he used to be a mechanic and he has tried everything that he knows how to do. Today we replaced the idle air control valve with a new one and even that didn't work. I don't know what we have done so i couldn't tell ya. Sorry.

Anybody have any ideas?
Old 10-25-2015, 06:27 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 43 Likes on 21 Posts
Default Re: Honda Civic Code 14 trouble

Originally Posted by Austin Pestrue
it only works in one position though. If we move it to the left or right a little it will start hunting again.
What does this^ mean?

We replaced the throttle position sensor and that didn't work either.
Did you voltage calibrate the new TPS?
Old 10-26-2015, 08:21 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Main cause of idle issues with Hondas/Acuras is air in the cooling system. Bleed your cooling system first. Next in line is vacuum leaks. Easiest way to check for a vacuum leak is with carburetor cleaner. A word of advice when checking for the vacuum leaks; make sure the engine is cold- carburetor cleaner is flammable and it has been documented numerous times where people have used this method on a warm car and the fluid caught fire.

Don't be the 98% that throw parts at your car in hopes to fix it. A few diagnostic tests go a long way, and RonJ is the man to help you with that.
Old 10-26-2015, 08:23 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I don't know what its called. Its the thing that sets the idle of the car. Yes i think we voltage calibrated the new TPS. We used this from another user of this site.

Old 10-26-2015, 08:28 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Ohmega
Main cause of idle issues with Hondas/Acuras is air in the cooling system. Bleed your cooling system first. Next in line is vacuum leaks. Easiest way to check for a vacuum leak is with carburetor cleaner. A word of advice when checking for the vacuum leaks; make sure the engine is cold- carburetor cleaner is flammable and it has been documented numerous times where people have used this method on a warm car and the fluid caught fire.

Don't be the 98% that throw parts at your car in hopes to fix it. A few diagnostic tests go a long way, and RonJ is the man to help you with that.
Me and my Dad already checked for vacuum leaks so that's not the issue. As for bleeding my cooling system I'm not sure we tried that.
Old 10-26-2015, 08:29 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Its the thing that sets the idle of the car.
The idle adjusting screw? Is that what you were moving?
Old 10-26-2015, 08:30 AM
Honda-Tech Member

If you replaced the "deffective" unit with a known working one and that didn't fix it, more than likely its in the wiring.
Old 10-26-2015, 08:42 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Ohmega
The idle adjusting screw? Is that what you were moving?
No it's the throttle position sensor.
Old 10-26-2015, 09:58 AM
Honda-Tech Member

No it's the throttle position sensor.
The TPS (throttle position sensor) does not control the idle of the car.

Bleed your cooling system first.
Do this and post your results.
Old 10-26-2015, 01:55 PM
I never narc'd on nobody!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ohmega, it doesn't control the idle, but it most definitely does affect it. A screwy idle from any source can throw an IACV code. OP needs to quit fiddling with the TPS, and set it correctly using a voltmeter. That's step 1.
Old 11-04-2015, 09:52 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by NotARaCist
Ohmega, it doesn't control the idle, but it most definitely does affect it. A screwy idle from any source can throw an IACV code. OP needs to quit fiddling with the TPS, and set it correctly using a voltmeter. That's step 1.
The voltmeter idea doesn't work and no my 1995 Honda Civic does not have a bleeding screw to bleed the cooling system.
Old 11-04-2015, 10:06 PM
Honda-Tech Member

The voltmeter idea doesn't work
Details?

and no my 1995 Honda Civic does not have a bleeding screw to bleed the cooling system.
So what engine you got?
Old 11-04-2015, 10:32 PM

The voltmeter idea doesn't work and no my 1995 Honda Civic does not have a bleeding screw to bleed the cooling system.
It's not a voltmeter "idea", it's called the proper procedure for setting your TPS. The only reason it wouldn't work is user error, so square yourself away and try again, only do it correctly this time.

https://honda-tech.com/tech-misc-15/...e-tps-2947986/
Old 11-05-2015, 06:11 AM
Honda-Tech Member

It's not a voltmeter "idea", it's called the proper procedure for setting your TPS. The only reason it wouldn't work is user error, so square yourself away and try again, only do it correctly this time.

https://honda-tech.com/tech-misc-15/...e-tps-2947986/

What your talking about and what i was talking about are two completely different things. What i meant when i said the voltmeter idea doesn't work, I was referring to the two pictures i posted awhile back on this thread.
Old 11-05-2015, 11:16 AM

The only pictures posted are those two FSM pages, which literally say nothing about using a voltmeter. Are you trying to jerk us around?
Old 11-05-2015, 06:57 PM
Honda-Tech Member

The only pictures posted are those two FSM pages, which literally say nothing about using a voltmeter. Are you trying to jerk us around?
No im not trying to jerk you guys around it was an error on my part. I'm just trying to get help with this issue ok? Plus i don't know alot about cars. In any case i dont have a test harness so I can't complete the Idle Air Control troubleshooting on those two FSM pages.
Old 11-05-2015, 07:58 PM
Honda-Tech Member

The problems are that you are posting confusing information and comments, not answering questions, and not understanding responses.
Old 11-05-2015, 08:37 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by RonJ
The problems are that you are posting confusing information and comments, not answering questions, and not understanding responses.
Ok well sorry for posting confusing info I'm doing the best i can alright? What questions have I not answered and what responses are you talking about?
Old 11-05-2015, 08:38 PM
Honda-Tech Member

What questions have I not answered and what responses are you talking about?
Just read all of the words posted in your thread by you and others. It should be obvious. Look for omissions and inconsistencies.
Old 11-05-2015, 08:49 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Just read all of the words posted in your thread by you and others. It should be obvious. Look for omissions and inconsistencies.
All the questions have been answered by me or have been answered by someone else on this thread. I don't see any inconsistencies.
Old 11-05-2015, 08:51 PM
Honda-Tech Member

All the questions have been answered by me or have been answered by someone else on this thread. I don't see any inconsistencies.
Are you reading a different thread? This one is a complete mess. I assume you're not reading for comprehension. Do you understand the responses to you?
Old 11-05-2015, 08:53 PM

Let's start this from the top, by the numbers, then. My old drill sergeant would be so proud...

1: Is your CEL still on? If it is, pull the code and move to step 2. If it isn't, then stop right here and tell us what symptoms you are having.

2: Is the code still 14? If it is, move onto step 3. If it isn't, then stop right here and tell us what the code is.

3: Start at the top, and follow the flow chart you posted above. Follow it to the letter, and tell us at what point you end. If you get stuck, tell us where you are stuck, and we can work from there.

If this by the numbers approach helps you figure it out, I can stick with it until your car is unfucked.
Old 11-05-2015, 09:06 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Are you reading a different thread? This one is a complete mess. I assume you're not reading for comprehension. Do you understand the responses to you?
No I'm not reading a completely different thread and yes i understand the responses given to me but the drawback it that i have a limited amount of time to test each possible solution. Yes I am reading for comprehension.
Old 11-05-2015, 09:08 PM
Honda-Tech Member

No I'm not reading a completely different thread and yes i understand the responses given to me but the drawback it that i have a limited amount of time to test each possible solution. Yes I am reading for comprehension.
Then why are you completely unaware that your thread is a complete mess - due to you.

Last edited by Former User; 11-05-2015 at 09:39 PM.
Old 11-05-2015, 09:56 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Let's start this from the top, by the numbers, then. My old drill sergeant would be so proud...

1: Is your CEL still on? If it is, pull the code and move to step 2. If it isn't, then stop right here and tell us what symptoms you are having.

2: Is the code still 14? If it is, move onto step 3. If it isn't, then stop right here and tell us what the code is.

3: Start at the top, and follow the flow chart you posted above. Follow it to the letter, and tell us at what point you end. If you get stuck, tell us where you are stuck, and we can work from there.

If this by the numbers approach helps you figure it out, I can stick with it until your car is unfucked.
1. yes
2. yes but now there are three other codes, 14, 19, 21, and 41
3. I will do this again this Saturday since ill finally have some time. Also in the flowchart when it talks about on page 2 of the flowchart on the fourth step after you go the yes route.
What does it mean when it says connect the test harness connector to the main wire harness?
What exactly is the main wire harness?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Honda Civic Code 14 trouble