Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Honda Civic 97 Check Engine on. What to do ?

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2004, 09:20 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Honda Civic 97 Check Engine on. What to do ?

Hi Folks,
i have 97 hinda civic adn today while driving the check engine lignt turned on and there was a little funny mumbling sound or some vibration i observed and later i opened the hood and noticed that the antifreeze was way below the min level.
So i filled the antifreeze and then ran the car for a while, everything seem fine but the light dosent go away.

my questions are
1. as far as driving, everything seem alright and do i need to worry and see a mechanic
2. if the antifreeze was the cause, why didn't the light go away ? does it need a manual reset ?
3. i called midas guy if they can check it out and the guy mentioned that they would charge $60 for 20 mins just to retrive the errorcode. does thats sound a reasonable charge ? with out even fixing the problem.

what is my next action ?
please do let me know and thanks all
honda civic owner
Old 04-03-2004, 05:39 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Honda Civic 97 Check Engine on. What to do ? (hondaowner)

bah. im not sure the color of your connector
96 - up
but pull off the passenger side kick panel right next to the door and you will see the ECU. Above the ecu is a litte green holder with a plug in it. pull out the plug
it should be a two pin connector, if you find this, stick a paper clip or wire in it (from one hole to the other (make a connection from both pins)) and turn the key to the run position. Look on your dash at the check engine light, count how many times is flashes 1 long flash = 10 every short flash = 1 then look here and find your problem, if you miss it the first time, it will keep repeating the code.

For 96-98 Civic / 97-98 / CRV 96-98 / Prelude / 94+ Integra

CODE DEFINITION

1 Oxygen Sensor "A" (Primary) defective circuit or unplugged / defective sensor

2 Oxygen Sensor "B" defective circuit or unplugged / defective sensor

3 MAP Sensor (Manifold Absolute Pressure) defective circuit or unplugged / defective sensor

4 CKP Sensor (Crankshaft Position Sensor) defective circuit or unplugged / defective sensor

5 MAP Sensor (Manifold Absolute Pressure) mechanical problem / disconnected piping* not 94-95

6 ECT Sensor (Engine Coolant Temperature) defective circuit or unplugged / defective sensor

7 TP Sensor (Throttle Position) defective circuit or unplugged / defective sensor

8 TDC Sensor (Top Dead Center) defective circuit or unplugged / defective sensor

9 CYP Sensor (Cylinder) defective circuit or unplugged / defective sensor * invalid code for throttle body injection Hondas** invalid code for V6 engines

10 IAT Sensor (Intake Air Temperature) defective circuit or unplugged / defective sensor

12 EGR Lift Sensor (Exhaust Gas Recirculation) defective circuit or unplugged / defective sensor* invalid code for non-equipped EGR valve vehicles

13 BARO Sensor (Atmospheric Pressure) defective circuit or unplugged / defective sensor

14 IAC Valve (Idle Air Control) defective circuit or unplugged / defective sensor

15 Ignition Output Signal missing or defective ignition output signal

16 Fuel Injector System defective circuit or unplugged / defective fuel injector

17 VSS (Vehicle Speed Sensor) defective circuit or unplugged / defective sensor

19 Automatic Transmission Lock Up Control Solenoid Valve defective circuit or unplugged / defective solenoid valve

20 Electrical Load Detector defective circuit or unplugged / defective sensor

21 VTEC Solenoid Valve defective circuit or unplugged / defective solenoid valve* invalid code for non-VTEC engine** invalid for V6 engine

22 VTEC Oil Pressure Switch defective circuit or unplugged / defective oil pressure switch* invalid code for non-VTEC engine

23 KS (Knock Sensor) defective circuit or unplugged / defective sensor* invalid code for V6 engine

30 Automatic Transmission Signal: "A" / SEAF / SEFA / TMA or TMB defective circuit or unplugged / defective sensor* invalid code for 1996

31 Automatic Transmission Signal "B" defective circuit or unplugged / defective sensor

41 Primary Oxygen Sensor - Heater circuit malfunction

43 Fuel Supply System defective or malfunctioning fuel supply system

45 System Too Lean or Too Rich malfunction in the fuel monitoring systems

48 LAF Sensor (Lean Air Fuel) defective circuit or unplugged / defective sensor

54 KF Sensor (Crankshaft Speed Fluctuation) defective circuit or unplugged / defective sensor

61 Oxygen Sensor, Heated - Sensor 1 (Primary) high voltage, low voltage, or slow response

63 oxygen Sensor, Heated - Sensor 2 (Secondary) high voltage, low voltage, or slow response

65 Oxygen Sensor Heater (Secondary) malfunctioning or defective oxygen sensor heater

67 Catalyst system Efficiency Below Threshold malfunctioning or defective catalyst system

70 Automatic Transmission malfunction with the automatic transmission controls

71 Cylinder 1 Misfire or a Random Misfire a condition is present that is creating a cylinder misfire

72 Cylinder 2 Misfire or a Random Misfire a condition is present that is creating a cylinder misfire

73 Cylinder 3 Misfire or a Random Misfire a condition is present that is creating a cylinder misfire

74 Cylinder 4 Misfire or a Random Misfire a condition is present that is creating a cylinder misfire

80 Exhaust Gas Recirculation insufficient flow detected

86 ECT Sensor (Engine Coolant Temperature) circuit range / performance problem

90 Evaporative Emission Control System leak detected in the fuel tank area

91 Fuel Tank Pressure Sensor low input

92 Evaporative Emission Control System insufficient purge flow
Old 04-03-2004, 05:43 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Honda Civic 97 Check Engine on. What to do ? (doublejz)

if the antifreeze was the cause, the ECU just needs to be reset. pull the negative terminal on your battery for a few minutes, that will reset it
Old 04-03-2004, 05:47 AM

Location: San Diego, I miss Chicago, but love SD, CA, US of fuckin A
Default Re: Honda Civic 97 Check Engine on. What to do ? (blackhatchy)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by blackhatchy &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">if the antifreeze was the cause, the ECU just needs to be reset. pull the negative terminal on your battery for a few minutes, that will reset it </TD></TR></TABLE> Or you can pull the 7.5a fuse in your under hood fuse box. That will work as well
Old 04-03-2004, 06:29 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Honda Civic 97 Check Engine on. What to do ? (HondaFanatic708)

i have never known antifreeze to set off a CEL, i know if it gets too hot it will set off a CEL 6 and 86 for coolant temp
Old 04-03-2004, 07:25 AM
Trial User

Default Re: Honda Civic 97 Check Engine on. What to do ? (doublejz)

its a 2 pin BLUE CONNECTOR
Originally Posted by doublejz
bah. im not sure the color of your connector
96 - up
but pull off the passenger side kick panel right next to the door and you will see the ECU. Above the ecu is a litte green holder with a plug in it. pull out the plug
it should be a two pin connector, if you find this, stick a paper clip or wire in it (from one hole to the other (make a connection from both pins)) and turn the key to the run position. Look on your dash at the check engine light, count how many times is flashes 1 long flash = 10 every short flash = 1 then look here and find your problem, if you miss it the first time, it will keep repeating the code.

For 96-98 Civic / 97-98 / CRV 96-98 / Prelude / 94+ Integra

CODE DEFINITION

1 Oxygen Sensor "A" (Primary) defective circuit or unplugged / defective sensor

2 Oxygen Sensor "B" defective circuit or unplugged / defective sensor

3 MAP Sensor (Manifold Absolute Pressure) defective circuit or unplugged / defective sensor

4 CKP Sensor (Crankshaft Position Sensor) defective circuit or unplugged / defective sensor

5 MAP Sensor (Manifold Absolute Pressure) mechanical problem / disconnected piping* not 94-95

6 ECT Sensor (Engine Coolant Temperature) defective circuit or unplugged / defective sensor

7 TP Sensor (Throttle Position) defective circuit or unplugged / defective sensor

8 TDC Sensor (Top Dead Center) defective circuit or unplugged / defective sensor

9 CYP Sensor (Cylinder) defective circuit or unplugged / defective sensor * invalid code for throttle body injection Hondas** invalid code for V6 engines

10 IAT Sensor (Intake Air Temperature) defective circuit or unplugged / defective sensor

12 EGR Lift Sensor (Exhaust Gas Recirculation) defective circuit or unplugged / defective sensor* invalid code for non-equipped EGR valve vehicles

13 BARO Sensor (Atmospheric Pressure) defective circuit or unplugged / defective sensor

14 IAC Valve (Idle Air Control) defective circuit or unplugged / defective sensor

15 Ignition Output Signal missing or defective ignition output signal

16 Fuel Injector System defective circuit or unplugged / defective fuel injector

17 VSS (Vehicle Speed Sensor) defective circuit or unplugged / defective sensor

19 Automatic Transmission Lock Up Control Solenoid Valve defective circuit or unplugged / defective solenoid valve

20 Electrical Load Detector defective circuit or unplugged / defective sensor

21 VTEC Solenoid Valve defective circuit or unplugged / defective solenoid valve* invalid code for non-VTEC engine** invalid for V6 engine

22 VTEC Oil Pressure Switch defective circuit or unplugged / defective oil pressure switch* invalid code for non-VTEC engine

23 KS (Knock Sensor) defective circuit or unplugged / defective sensor* invalid code for V6 engine

30 Automatic Transmission Signal: "A" / SEAF / SEFA / TMA or TMB defective circuit or unplugged / defective sensor* invalid code for 1996

31 Automatic Transmission Signal "B" defective circuit or unplugged / defective sensor

41 Primary Oxygen Sensor - Heater circuit malfunction

43 Fuel Supply System defective or malfunctioning fuel supply system

45 System Too Lean or Too Rich malfunction in the fuel monitoring systems

48 LAF Sensor (Lean Air Fuel) defective circuit or unplugged / defective sensor

54 KF Sensor (Crankshaft Speed Fluctuation) defective circuit or unplugged / defective sensor

61 Oxygen Sensor, Heated - Sensor 1 (Primary) high voltage, low voltage, or slow response

63 oxygen Sensor, Heated - Sensor 2 (Secondary) high voltage, low voltage, or slow response

65 Oxygen Sensor Heater (Secondary) malfunctioning or defective oxygen sensor heater

67 Catalyst system Efficiency Below Threshold malfunctioning or defective catalyst system

70 Automatic Transmission malfunction with the automatic transmission controls

71 Cylinder 1 Misfire or a Random Misfire a condition is present that is creating a cylinder misfire

72 Cylinder 2 Misfire or a Random Misfire a condition is present that is creating a cylinder misfire

73 Cylinder 3 Misfire or a Random Misfire a condition is present that is creating a cylinder misfire

74 Cylinder 4 Misfire or a Random Misfire a condition is present that is creating a cylinder misfire

80 Exhaust Gas Recirculation insufficient flow detected

86 ECT Sensor (Engine Coolant Temperature) circuit range / performance problem

90 Evaporative Emission Control System leak detected in the fuel tank area

91 Fuel Tank Pressure Sensor low input

92 Evaporative Emission Control System insufficient purge flow
Old 04-05-2004, 02:30 PM

Thanks a lot folks for the responses.
We i got some more information and need your advice here

I went to my local Autozone shop and they plugged a obd-II scanner tool and detected the following codes.

P0304 Cylinder #4 Misfire Detected

P1399 Ignition System or Misfire

Ok, could it be that the spark plugs are the cause. does replacing the spark plugs is the solution here ? or the wires or what could be the issue and what's my next action.
As far as the spark plugs are concerned I think i can replace em.

Waiting for your experienced answers

Thanks
Old 04-05-2004, 02:47 PM
Trial User

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by hondaowner &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Thanks a lot folks for the responses.
We i got some more information and need your advice here

I went to my local Autozone shop and they plugged a obd-II scanner tool and detected the following codes.

P0304 Cylinder #4 Misfire Detected

P1399 Ignition System or Misfire

Ok, could it be that the spark plugs are the cause. does replacing the spark plugs is the solution here ? or the wires or what could be the issue and what's my next action.
As far as the spark plugs are concerned I think i can replace em.

Waiting for your experienced answers

Thanks
</TD></TR></TABLE>

did u adjust ur valves? they may be too tight
Old 05-17-2004, 04:07 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Honda Civic 97 Check Engine on. What to do ? (AL ASPIRATED)

it seems he is new to cars so i would say no he hasn't touched the valvetrain. the sprakplugs might cause this if there was a really bad one, say the electode fell off in the engine, could cause it. maybe the spark plug wires, check that they are all in line and touching as little as possible, it could have cross sparked and ignited another cyl at the wrong time, also unlikely though if your using stock wires. i would just reset the ecu, maybe new plugs. and if it ever comes back then you can get into it further.
Old 05-17-2004, 04:25 PM
No Sales Forums

get some ngk spark plugs and oem cap, rotor, wires, no more misfire codes.