Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Honda Civic 92-95 EG/EH/EJ OEM Cruise Control Install Guide – Manual Transmission

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-2011, 02:46 PM
Oh look, I can change this

Received 131 Likes on 105 Posts
Default Re: Honda Civic 92-95 EG/EH/EJ OEM Cruise Control Install Guide – Manual Transmission

Hey - did you keep the original VX clutch switch?? Or did you swap it out to the cruise one from the donor vehicle??
Old 05-10-2011, 07:18 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Honda Civic 92-95 EG/EH/EJ OEM Cruise Control Install Guide – Manual Transmission

Great write-up. Bookmarked for future debate of whether I actually want cc or not... hmmm.
Old 07-11-2011, 09:06 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Hey man! =D I just HAVE to say this is an AWESOME write-up... you did an amazing job, props to you! =D

May I ask you something, though? Seeing as you´ve done this on a D series, I´m about to purchase an EG6 VTi (Si-R) hatch (that´s what we get if we want B series power here in Argentina, and their EXTREMELY rare =P), thing is I´m buying it and replacing my current 95 EJ1 EX coupe, which has EVERYTHING, right? Well, the VTi doesn´t carry the passenger airbag nor the Cruise Control... I realize that for the airbag, I have to get an EX dashboard and wiring, but do you think it´s possible to add Cruise control? The VTi comes with the B16A2, so I have no idea if this would work on that engine, what do you think?

Thank you very much!
Old 07-11-2011, 09:34 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

It will work with that engine, I'm running cruise control on my b16 powered EH3. The question is, is the wiring for cruise already in the VTi? I would think it would be, but Honda does some weird stuff for different markets.

Originally Posted by Senjirou
Hey man! =D I just HAVE to say this is an AWESOME write-up... you did an amazing job, props to you! =D

May I ask you something, though? Seeing as you´ve done this on a D series, I´m about to purchase an EG6 VTi (Si-R) hatch (that´s what we get if we want B series power here in Argentina, and their EXTREMELY rare =P), thing is I´m buying it and replacing my current 95 EJ1 EX coupe, which has EVERYTHING, right? Well, the VTi doesn´t carry the passenger airbag nor the Cruise Control... I realize that for the airbag, I have to get an EX dashboard and wiring, but do you think it´s possible to add Cruise control? The VTi comes with the B16A2, so I have no idea if this would work on that engine, what do you think?

Thank you very much!
Old 07-11-2011, 10:44 PM

Icon3 Re: Honda Civic 92-95 EG/EH/EJ OEM Cruise Control Install Guide – Manual Transmission

Originally Posted by Senjirou

Thank you very much!
Sure, you can add an airbag and cruise control. Adding an airbag is probably the easiest way to also add cruise since the cruise feature requires the 4-spoke steering wheel. You will need to do this retrofit as explained in the DIY (it is not pre-wired), though you should consider using a cruise computer from an Acura Integra which came with a B-series motor. For a Manual Trans EG VTi, it won't matter if the donor Integra was an Auto or Manual transmission.

PS. PLEASE post photos of an Argentinian EG VTi. This is NOT a vehicle we see examples of often on this site.
Old 07-12-2011, 03:18 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Hey guys, thanks to both of you!

I´m PRETTY sure the VTi doesn´t come wired for Cruise, I mean, it depends on the year... if it´s a 94 or 95 VTi, it´s highly probable that it´s wired like the Si-R II, AND that it has a 4 spoke steering wheel, I haven´t yet had the time to go take a look at the vehicle and am unsure of it´s production year, as I´m about to take a Final Exam in my University and am pretty short on time, hehe! I´ll probably go see it on Friday, I´ll check it out and tell you ASAP... I´m not sure I´ll be buying it RIGHT NOW, either, but the thing is I´m considering all options... Since I could also go with a Si hatch, and then swap in a B16 if I can find one... this is because not only do I save time doing all the comfort mods, but the price mark for a VTi is around 47000 pesos (almost 12000 dollars) and the price for an Si would be around the 9500 dollar mark... You pay for the B16, actually, haha! Also, they are BOTH very hard to find in extremely well taken care of conditions, but VTi´s are EXTREMELY RARE altogether... Extremely positive thing is, these VTi´s came with 4 wheel disc brakes and ABS STANDARD, that´s pretty awesome, plus we´re talking about 195/55 R15 stock wheels and the fact that they are MADE IN JAPAN, which is also awesome, haha! And their rarity adds to the retail afterwards =D This EG6 is supposed to be near the 125k miles mark, but is said to be really well cared for, so it shouldn´t be an issue to a Japanese made B16A2, right? Also, I´m pretty sure almost every other aspect of the car is IDENTICAL to the EX coupes, Si hatches, etc., mainly suspension, body, steering, etc., am I right on that matter? =D

And forget about me finding Integra ANYTHING here, hahaha, there was only 1 of them and the owner wrecked it on a roll accident =S A buddy of mine bought the B18 and is now crammed in an EG5 Good thing I have my bro living in the States, he might get his hands on something! =D

I´ll try finding some pics of Argentiniean VTi´s from the web and upload them for you, if I can´t take pics of this car... But if I buy it, I´ll post them first thing for sure!

PS: What I meant by the Airbag thing was adding a Passenger Airbag... that would mean getting hold of an EX or Si Dashboard PLUS the EX main wiring harness, right? =S
Old 07-30-2011, 05:26 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Ok peeps! =D I am proud to say I am now the new and proud owner of an EG6 Si-R Hatch! =D YAYYYYYYYY! =D Hahahaha, as promised some time before, I WILL upload photos and put them in a new thread! Stay tuned, I´ll edit this post and paste the link, since it´s bad enough i´m double posting already! =/
Old 10-04-2011, 08:24 PM

^ Any updates with photos, Senjirou?
Old 11-14-2011, 08:04 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Yes sir, I´m on it! =D It´s been QUITE a long time, but I´ve taken some pics and I´ll upload them for you!

BTW, I´ll pop another question while I´m at it, deschlong, since you seem to know your way around these engines, haha! Do you have any idea if a 1994 Integra GSR P/S Pump will be a bolt on replacement to my B16A2 P/S Pump? I´ve read all around that it will fit, but in no post did anyone ASSURE this, and I saw a nice looking one for sale on ebay for a great price but I need to be sure... Since whenever I start her when she´s cold, I get this funny whirring noise I´m almost CERTAIN is the power steering... I flushed the system with new Honda P/S Fluid and while the steering is lighter, I find that the noise barely lowered... Tomorrow I´ll start it up without the P/S Belt, and see if it doesn´t whirr, but I´m almost 100% certain it´s the P/S...

Anyways, my new car

http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/221/honda001.jpg/
http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/263/honda002.jpg/
http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/839/honda005.jpg/
http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/689/honda006.jpg/
http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/526/honda018.jpg/
http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/687/honda019.jpg/
http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/440/honda021.jpg/
http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/225/honda022.jpg/
http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/196/honda023.jpg/
http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/217/honda024.jpg/
http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/411/honda029.jpg/
http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/847/honda031.jpg/
http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/163/honda037.jpg/
Old 11-14-2011, 08:15 PM

I don't know anything about the motors - best ask in the forum. Ask me something about electrical, though, and I'll probably have an answer.
Old 11-15-2011, 05:11 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Awesome, good to know! So, what do you think about the pics?
Old 12-05-2011, 12:48 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Can anyone give me a bit more information about compatibility of control units?

In the original DIY, deschlong mentioned that you can use a control unit from an A/T in a M/T vehicle. I assume that discussion of the PNK wire doesn't matter if the car is already wired correctly (i.e., it's a factory system). I can just swap in a control unit from an A/T?

What about compatibility with other years/models? 96+ Civics? 94+ Integras?

(Specifically I want a unit compatible with a 92 LX M/T with factory CC).
Old 12-05-2011, 01:02 PM

The control units are different part number for M/T vs A/T, and also based on the engine. Functionally, they are all the same. I suspect the difference would be based on how much throttle to give, based on how it is programmed for each motor. ie., if you press the 'accel' button, the computer would know to give X amount of gas pedal, computing for the RPMs, gear(?), and motor it's programmed for. This is just a guess, though. I put a '?' next to gear, because I'm not sure if or how the computer would know which gear is selected on a 5-spd.

92-95s are all functionally the same, and OBD1 94+ Integras are the same, but meant for a B-series engine. I've not looked at a 96+ OBD2 Integra setup, but I bet it's the same, too. 96+ Civics are different as they use a vacuum setup.

Incidentally, I now have a VTEC-E 1.5 D15Z1 VX motor, running an VTEC 1.6 D16Z6 Si cruise computer. Acceleration is noticeably weak, likely due to the tall gearing. I have a cruise computer meant for a D15B7 motor and I expect it will perform a bit better... I intend to swap it in to give it a test and compare.
Old 03-11-2013, 05:29 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Icon2 Re: Honda Civic 92-95 EG/EH/EJ OEM Cruise Control Install Guide – Manual Transmission

Hey there deschlong... I went to the junk yard the other day and pulled everything for this fit, but I forgot to label the connectors(i know i know)... there are two green connectors in the circuit one to the dash button and one to the back of the cluster, do you know which one is for which? one has: red, red/blk, blk, light green, blk/yellow (in order with clip up) and the other: red, red/blk, blk, blue/yellow, blk/yellow, I don't want to guess but if i had to I would guess the one with the blue/yellow is the one to the cluster? because it is further up the bunch of wires...
Old 03-11-2013, 06:13 PM

Glad to hear someone's putting this DIY to use.

The green connector that's nearest the cluster connectors is for the cluster light. There's also a rear defrost connector which is also green, but that's even further on down the line.

Anyway, if you mock up the dash wiring against your dash you can't get it wrong.

Also, if you have the service manual (look for it online) then compare wire colours to be triply sure. Good luck w/ install!!!!
Old 03-11-2013, 06:50 PM
Honda-Tech Member

i do have the manual.. I will go dig through it, but I guess what I meant to say was that the connector that goes to the button to turn on the cruse and the connector that plugs in to the cluster are the same connector bright green with 5 wires... unless there is another color of connector that plugs into the on/off button.
Old 03-11-2013, 06:52 PM
Honda-Tech Member

BTW thank you a ton for your tutorials... I have been reading them like they are comic books (excited and captivated)
Old 04-01-2013, 06:28 PM

^ Hah, thanks. Did you install this yet? Which other ones are you thinking of doing?

Fixed broken pic links on first post.
Old 04-08-2013, 12:16 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Everything is installed... It isn't working currently. I need to go through and troubleshoot through the connector. I may try to do that this evening, its nice outside here today, been cold and dreary the last few weeks...
Otherwise, I have installed the lights on indicator from an integra. I had swapped the cluster to gain a tachometer (did that as soon as I bought the thing). I have a full size spare in the back so I built a platform and used the carpet cover to upholster it ( not oem I realize but a good upgrade none the less). I added a rear sway-bar and suspension control arms and bushings. Replaced the tie rods. Found a front lower stabilizer bar (haven't found an upper at the junkyard yet) and installed that. I've adjusted the valves(new valve cover gasket of course), swapped all the fluids, upgraded to the larger radiator. about to do the timing belt, water pump, oil pan gasket, valve stem seals and some other stuff I don't remember right now... basically everything I am not sure of its age, and or troubleshooting oil loss. there is a lot more on the list that i will eventually get to...
Old 09-24-2013, 01:18 AM
Honda-Tech Member

hi.
I have a 1994 honda civic and want to get cruise control.
Your install guide is well explained but i don't know the parts necessary.
Can you tell me which parts needed to install the cruise control?

I'm waiting for an answer and already thanks for any help.
Old 09-25-2013, 05:17 PM

There is an entire section entitled "Parts Required & Removal Instructions" in my write up. What difficulty specifically are you having?
Old 12-05-2014, 04:02 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: wiring the steering wheel, wheres the two wires??

I am installing a 93 manual LX CC system into my 92 VX.
In your description of the steering wheel connections for the set/decelerate/accelerate connections, you show a yellow plug with two wires (lt grn/red and lt grn/black) but these wires ARE NOT in my steering wheel. There is only the yellow ribbon connector that heads down the steering column and connects to a big yellow bundle(that inside contains plain grey wires).

So I dont know where to connect the two wires(Lt green/red, Lt grn/blk) coming out of the CC module because there is no place in the steering wheel to connect them to.

Also, side note, I opened the donor cars dash cluster and removed the CC light circuit board (the cc light indicator) that the green connector connects to, and put it inside my VX dash cluster (there exists an OEM slot for it between the fuel and speedometer) , I also removed the donor CC light LED and put it into the missing spot on the back of my VX's cluster's circuit board which will obviously connect to the swapped in indicator light circuit board

Bottom picture is upside down, but the large yellow connector on left side of image(as uploaded) is connector that the big yellow ribbon inside the steering wheel connects to.

The top picture, those connectors went to the blinker and wipers.
Attached Images   

Last edited by brickinthewall; 12-06-2014 at 11:10 AM. Reason: clarify pictures
Old 12-05-2014, 04:47 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default CC actuator testing question

I used the testing method as described in the following post on the Cause For Alarm DIY for Cruise control, as seen in the attached photo. When I test the Push and Pull test, the CC motor runs but is not pushing or pulling. I tested this on two units from JUnk yard. Are these units bad or am I testing incorrectly?

I used alligator clip spread over the two connector pins when it says ground two wires. Do I have to ground both pins separately or can I use one alligator clip and touch both pins at same time??
Attached Images  

Last edited by brickinthewall; 12-05-2014 at 09:57 PM.
Old 12-05-2014, 05:26 PM

Hi - Great question. In my description, I am installing a CC into a vehicle that did NOT have SRS originally. Non-SRS vehicles WITH CC only exist in the Canadian market (and maybe Belgian/Dutch). So, the difference you are describing is a difference between SRS and non-SRS vehicles (that I learned about much later). (Note even the Service Manual is not very clear about these differences.)

Anyway, if you follow behind that yellow connector to the 6?-pin yellow connector on the top of the fuse box (in the centre of your pic), I *believe* you will find the wires with the colours I mentioned, also the wiring for the horn, as well as for the SRS. Match up the correct wires here, before they enter the SRS cabling. Or, you might want them to meet at the connector under the steering column, that big connector on the left in your pic. Whatever makes the most sense to you. Just be sure you have your SRS disabled properly before you do this work. I don't know why the wiring colours all default to GRY after they enter the SRS cabling. It's annoying. Anyway, naturally you will need the LX's SRS cable reel/clock spring.

In the Cause for Alarm install, he had a bad actuator unit. This problem is really rare, so I wouldn't worry about it so much. I'm guessing you are doing the test wrong.

Last edited by deschlong; 12-05-2014 at 05:43 PM.
Old 12-05-2014, 10:24 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Brake switch wiring-which is correct?

I am reading 3 different DIY's on the cruise control install, and the brake sections have 3 different ways to wire the 4 pins that have 5 wires coming out of the brake switch.

Grn/Wht(which enters connector from car somewhere)
Wht/grn (which enters connector from car somewhere) (your diy says "if necessary route it to the CC) ?? What you mean by if neccesary?
Gray
Lt green
Lt green

One DIY says split the "GRN/wht", another says split the "WHT/Grn". ??

One says: "Use a straight-connector to connect the green/white wire at the brake switch to the existing green/white wire that supplied the old brake switch."
So does that mean no splitting and no grn/wht wire is going to the CC or anywhere else??
Another says split the Green/white and send one wire to the CC module.

Just a few discrepancies .

Last edited by brickinthewall; 12-06-2014 at 01:10 PM.

Quick Reply: Honda Civic 92-95 EG/EH/EJ OEM Cruise Control Install Guide – Manual Transmission