Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Honda civic 1999 DX advice.

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-2018, 09:51 AM
Trial User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Honda civic 1999 DX advice.

About a month ago I was driving on a major highway when my car suddenly stalled without warning. Me and my dad then towed it back to our house and figured that it was the fuel pump/filter, so we replaced those (we thought it was those two issues because when we put fuel into the fuel injection system on top of the filter the car came back to life for a few seconds). After replacing the fuel pump we noticed that the cover surrounding the gas tank under the back seat wasn't getting a complete seal (since one of the screw holes that hold it down was completely stripped). But we didn't think much of it until...just a week ago we tried starting the car; and while the car started up fine (it did take 5 clicks before it turned over) it didn't drive good at all.

We noticed whenever we push the throttle down all the way, the car has zero power and even has a loud popping sound that comes from the engine bay. But as the car warms up this problem goes away slightly, but whenever we come to a complete stop, or make turns, the problem persists.

Since we were out of ideas we decided we'd take it to Honda and have them look at it. They say that the complete intake mani w/ throttle body needs replacing; and that the car is missing a bunch of hoses and sensors. I should mention that around 8 months ago I brought the car to an independent car repair shop and they replaced quite a lot already (water pump/dist cap/spark plugs/wires/ect). However we were curious to see if they actually replaced anything at all, so we opened the dist cap and found that the rotor, which they said they replaced, was old. So I'm honestly not too sure about anything else.

So as you can see I'm in quite the situation and can use any advice at all.

I have more info here about this whole situation. ALSO I should mention that Honda doesn't even have the parts for the repair of the intake mani & throttle bod, so they told me to go look on craigslist/ebay. And ofc nobody around my area is going to have the parts when I need them.