Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

honda cancer help

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-2011, 01:20 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Icon2 honda cancer help

Got an eg coupe. With a lil rust on the passanger rear wheel well. Its not all the way through but looks like someone either put something on it or jus painted over it. I have read a few threads on this.. some say replace panel.. some say grind down.. jus depending on damage. Well mine is just on the very edge of rear wheel well about size of a dime. Replace? Or fix? If so how should I do so? Ill post pics when I get home
Old 09-09-2011, 01:36 PM
The Grumpiest

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts
Default Re: honda cancer help

Replace or fix? Isn't that the same thing?
How should you do? It's body work. Do you know how to do bodywork
Old 09-09-2011, 02:19 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Just curious, what color is it? If you patch it with fiberglass and just primer and spray over it, it might last a year or two. The only *real* fix for rust is to cut it out and weld in new metal but that is ALOT of work.
Old 09-09-2011, 02:46 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Its black!
Old 09-09-2011, 03:02 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Lol this guys always got some smart aascomment. Go put ur 2 cents in somewhere else dude or lose the attitude n quit writing on my threads if im such an idiot. Lmao smh...
Old 09-09-2011, 03:08 PM
Honda-Tech Member

And no. Replace would be replacing the whole thing... an fixing would b grinding it down. Dumbass
Old 09-09-2011, 03:09 PM
The Grumpiest

Only if it's surface rust. Which it probably is NOT. Sorry you think me being blunt is smartass. You ask about bodywork but know nothing about bodywork. If you remove rust OF COURSE you have to replace the sheet metal. Do you know how to do that? Do you know how much metal to remove? Do you know how to weld in the new? DO you know anything about Bondo? Filler? Painting? Probably not.
Old 09-09-2011, 03:11 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by MGBej1503
And no. Replace would be replacing the whole thing... an fixing would b grinding it down. Dumbass
I think he was implying that the only real way to fix it is the replace it. Check what is under the paint. I recently looked at a civic that only had a little bubbling on the outside but the metal had rusted through in several places and I had to glass it up and even that didn't last too long. It rusts from the inside out.
Old 09-09-2011, 03:12 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Yeah all except for welding. Jus quit writing on all my threads dude tryna act like ur god an u kno everything ok. I don't work at a body shop an was asking for tips so I don't need your bullshit go talk **** to someone else lil guy
Old 09-09-2011, 03:15 PM
The Grumpiest

Not one time did I disrespect you but you come at me with the name calling. All you new guys with the attitude need to check yourselves. If you really knew about body work I don't see why you would need to ask anyone's advice.

Point blank. Until you start removing you have NO IDEA how extensive the rust damage is. It's like an iceberg. what you see may only be the tip. And BTW, I can post any where I damn well please. YOU posted on a public forum.
Old 09-09-2011, 03:18 PM
The Grumpiest

Sorry Ron.
Old 09-09-2011, 03:18 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<3 grumblemarc
Old 09-09-2011, 03:20 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by grumblemarc
Not one time did I disrespect you but you come at me with the name calling. All you new guys with the attitude need to check yourselves. If you really knew about body work I don't see why you would need to ask anyone's advice.

Point blank. Until you start removing you have NO IDEA how extensive the rust damage is. It's like an iceberg. what you see may only be the tip. And BTW, I can post any where I damn well please. YOU posted on a public forum.
I definitely agree with the you need to remove the surface rust to see the condition of the underlying metal before making any preparations. Sometimes bad looking surface rust will have a fine surface under it and sometimes "light bubbling" will have metal completely destroyed under it.
Old 09-09-2011, 03:25 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Cool thanks guys that's all I wanted. And I don't kno everything about body work cuz if I did why would I b asking???? Everyone can use extra input..
Old 09-09-2011, 04:43 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I had a couple of rock chips on my del sol that had rusted, but the metal was good underneath. I just ground it down to bare metal and a good inch or two around it and use the primer that converts the rust (forgot the name).
Old 09-09-2011, 04:47 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by morbius18
I had a couple of rock chips on my del sol that had rusted, but the metal was good underneath. I just ground it down to bare metal and a good inch or two around it and use the primer that converts the rust (forgot the name).
It is called pickle-x or phospho. It is a dilute phosphoric acid sollution. Works okay in the short term. Make sure you cover it with some sort of top coat, otherwise it will rust again. The problem with the rear wheel arch is how it rusts (inside out) as opposed to rock chips that surface rust and then it eats deeper into the metal.
Old 09-09-2011, 06:05 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Well as. I look under wheel well it feels solidan don't see any rust underneath. It looks like otstarted to surface rust an someone used some goopy **** to try n cover it up so I need to start Sandin an see how deep it really is. Thanks guys
Old 09-09-2011, 06:37 PM
Honda-Tech Member

The goopy **** could be bondo, POR, or brushed on primer. Remove all of it to inspect damage. Bondo can cover some serious flaws. Just because metal "Feels" solid, doesn't mean it necessarily is though. Good luck!
Old 09-09-2011, 07:29 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by joeshmo
The problem with the rear wheel arch is how it rusts (inside out) as opposed to rock chips that surface rust and then it eats deeper into the metal.
Yep, this sucks.
I suspect it's caused by the damn rubber edge clipped to it (it keeps the moisture/dirt inside - at least on EGs).

I have very, very light rust on there and now I am wondering if it is really coming from the inside.
I was planning on waiting a few more months until I can get her a new painjob, but looks like I'll have to take a look at that soon to contain the damage.
Old 09-09-2011, 07:36 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by DSMAddicted
Yep, this sucks.
I suspect it's caused by the damn rubber edge clipped to it (it keeps the moisture/dirt inside - at least on EGs).

I have very, very light rust on there and now I am wondering if it is really coming from the inside.
I was planning on waiting a few more months until I can get her a new painjob, but looks like I'll have to take a look at that soon to contain the damage.
My car has rusted through to the point the rear bumper won't clip on anymore. There is a literal hole in my rear fenders. But I got replacements ready to weld in at any minute!
Old 09-09-2011, 08:16 PM
Honda-Tech Member

i know a guy that traded a knocking z6 for a shell from washington that had a "little" rust on the outside. LMAO two days later he was trying to take out the trunk carpet and his screwdriver busted through the outside of the rear quarter panel. didnt look too bad on the surface, just some bubbles. he ended up selling it to the junkyard lol
Old 09-09-2011, 08:17 PM
Honda-Tech Member

http://www.fixmyrust.com/1992-1995-civic-coupe--MZ.html
Go here and buy a new rear wheel arch, remove the whole panel, or cut off a section and weld the exact same piece back on.

There is also a topic on civiceg.com by Teal that shows how to fix honda rust http://civic-eg.com/viewtopic.php?t=24
Old 09-09-2011, 08:19 PM
Honda-Tech Member

i dont know why people bad mouth bondo so much if you dont want to spend 3 grand on body work then learn to fix it yourself for less than 50 bucks provided you have tools and sanders handy. just dont do a half assed job take your time with the coating and sanding it will look really nice when its finished properly.
Old 09-09-2011, 08:22 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by EGALLDAY123
i dont know why people bad mouth bondo so much if you dont want to spend 3 grand on body work then learn to fix it yourself for less than 50 bucks provided you have tools and sanders handy. just dont do a half assed job take your time with the coating and sanding it will look really nice when its finished properly.
People "bad mouth" bondo because it has the potential to hide problems and allow them to worsen without the owner knowing until it is too late. Bondo is perfectly fine when it is used as it should be, to cover small dings and dents. Bondo is not okay when entire panels are made out of it. Bondo can be dangerous on unibody cars too. Depends on how much and where it is.
P.S: Bondo can trap moisture to your metal and accelerate rusting, even if top-coated.
Old 09-10-2011, 03:29 AM
Seagull Management

Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by EGALLDAY123
dont do a half assed job take your time with the coating and sanding it will look really nice when its finished properly.
If you live anywhere that stuff rusts it'll start popping back through within 6 months, that's a lot of wasted time and effort. Weld in new metal and use bondo to fix minor imperfections.

Quick Reply: honda cancer help