Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Honda Automatic Transmission + Fluid - Questions

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-2006, 08:29 AM
Trial User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Honda Automatic Transmission + Fluid - Questions

Hey guys,

I have an '97 Acura 1.6EL (same mechanically as a US-spec Civic EX Sedan or a Cdn-spec Civic Si Sedan)

I changed the ATF (auto tranny fluid) in Ocotober, replacing about 2.5-3 quarts by just opening up the drain plug. When I had my car in teh shop to have the timing belt and water pump replaced, teh tech noted that the tranny fluid needed changing.

Since Honda has a closed transmission, the only way to replace fluid is really to do it 2-5.3 quarts at a time. So I am going to drain another ~3 quarts and replace, do that every oil change for a while until the fluid looks clean.

So I am wondering, is there a way I can get more fluid out (somehow empty the torque converter) at home, or is my only option to get all the fluid out a tranny flush?

Does it make sense to do 3-4 tranny drains at home in order to flush out most fo the older fluid?

FInally, my real question is: Is there a synthetic ATF that's approved by Honda for use in their auto trannies? I know that honda auto trannies are notoriously weak and really need the proprietary honda ATF, but I'd like to go synthetic. Are their any options for me to go synth?

Thanks!

Old 04-09-2006, 08:38 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Re: Honda Automatic Transmission + Fluid - Questions (amorak)

First of all, Honda auto trannies are not weak. They're some of the best out there. Secondly, yes there is a way to get most of the fluid out, but I recommend getting it flushed out instead. And last, I've tried several companies performance/sythnetic tranny fluids. Trust me when I say, just stick to Honda ATF.

Get a tranny fluid cooler, set your line pressure to spec. The main things that destroy these trannies are heat (of course), abuse (neutral shift dropping), incorrect fluid level (yes, too much or too little can quickly destroy the trans), and incorrect line pressure which leads to excessive heat.
Old 04-09-2006, 08:44 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Re: Honda Automatic Transmission + Fluid - Questions (suspendedHatch)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by suspendedHatch &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">First of all, Honda auto trannies are not weak. They're some of the best out there. Secondly, yes there is a way to get most of the fluid out, but I recommend getting it flushed out instead. And last, I've tried several companies performance/sythnetic tranny fluids. Trust me when I say, just stick to Honda ATF.

Get a tranny fluid cooler, set your line pressure to spec. The main things that destroy these trannies are heat (of course), abuse (neutral shift dropping), incorrect fluid level (yes, too much or too little can quickly destroy the trans), and incorrect line pressure which leads to excessive heat.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Best autos compared to what? Something made in a third world country? I'm sorry. I love Honda's and all, but the autos are one of the things the company makes that I have NEVER liked. They always seem to crap out far before others (Toyota for example) die. They certainly do not take well to large power increases as well, and this has been proven time and time again. Its a simple enough design, sure.. In fact, its just a manual tranny with clutch packs basically. For some reason though, they just don't seem as good as others on the market. I have one right now in a sedan I bought. 200,000 miles, 3rd gear is flaring. Its also hunting at times to find the right gear. Fluid has been changed, car was bought off second owner who has had it since 30k miles. She never raced it, its bone *** stock.
Old 04-09-2006, 08:47 AM
Trial User

Default Re: Honda Automatic Transmission + Fluid - Questions (suspendedHatch)

The reason I say their weak is my experience on d16turbo.com. It's been found there that regardless of the amount of cooling you apply, these trannies cannot handle more then 4PSI of boost to the engine (+40HP).

What's the way you know of to remove more fluid? I don't like the idea of a flush because every honda tech I've spoken with says they don't do flushes on these trannies, just a drain, due to the fragile nature of Honda's auto tranny.

I appreciate the response, and you've just confirmed what I've heard from all sources - Stick with Honda ATF.

So unless anyone can give me some other options I am just going to drain another ~3q of ATF and top it off again.

Is there anywhere online that sells Honda ATF for a great price?

Old 05-07-2006, 05:54 AM

Default Re: Honda Automatic Transmission + Fluid - Questions (Hybrid93Eg)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by suspendedHatch &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote"> The main things that destroy these trannies are heat (of course), abuse (neutral shift dropping), incorrect fluid level (yes, too much or too little can quickly destroy the trans), and incorrect line pressure which leads to excessive heat.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Sorry for being a rookie, but what do you mean by neutral shift dropping? would that be shifting from D4 to Neutral while the car is still moving? or ....?
Old 05-07-2006, 06:04 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by amorak &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
Does it make sense to do 3-4 tranny drains at home in order to flush out most fo the older fluid?

</TD></TR></TABLE>
That's the way Honda recommends doing it.
Old 05-07-2006, 06:24 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Re: Honda Automatic Transmission + Fluid - Questions (Chiovnidca)

Don't know how this thread popped up but I personally know of two D series auto trannies daily driven at a modest 6-7 psi with no sign of failing.

Neutral shift dropping is when some retard revs up the motor in neutral and then shifts it into drive. deet te dee. You can destroy your trans in a very short time, or cause fatal damage to it and have it fail some time later. Then that very same retard gets on the internet crying about how auto trannies are weak.

I was at my friend's shop last night, he had just wrapped up a rebuild on a 92 Civic LX auto trans 216k miles. He showed me the clutch packs. He could have just flushed out the valve body and put it back in w/out a rebuild, and it would have went another 200k miles. That's his professional opinion.

I'm reluctant to believe anything on any forums especially if it's contrary to my real world experience and what I've been taught. The people on the forums reach consensus just among themselves often w/out any evidence whatsoever. "I think it will only hold about 4 psi" "I heard it will only hold 4 psi" "so and so says it will only hold 4 psi, and he has 10,000 posts".
Old 05-07-2006, 06:52 AM

Where is the Honda Genuine ATF available...Walmart, Oreilly, Dealership, Online (links?)
Old 05-07-2006, 09:14 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Honda Automatic Transmission + Fluid - Questions (civtric96)

Most likely just the dlrships..