Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

home made big brake kit

Search this Thread

Old 11-28-2003, 11:58 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default home made big brake kit

anyone remember a thread awhile back (less than a month ago) a guy with a white EG did a custom big brake kit using prelude rotors and type-R calipers. can anyone send me the thread for that post. thanx
Old 11-29-2003, 12:04 AM
Solbros Owns Me

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Re: home made big brake kit (snowboarderguy44)

I made a thread a month ago using ITR rotors and Prelude calipers, but my car is red

here it is in full

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by emerika &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Edit- for those wondering, I do NOT have ABS

Well, I did this awhile ago, but never had pics taken cause I don't have a digi cam right now.

Here's the setup

GSR spindle/fork with H&R extended lugs
1/8th inch prestige wheel spacers
ITR rotors redrilled to 4x100
Prelude VTEC calipers- same as ITR/Accord, etc
H&R 1/4 inch wheel spacers
EG6 15/16th master cylinder.

Most parts were free, so don't ask for total cost. I'll tell you it was very cheap though...cheaper than new pads and rotors for my stock setup.

The Prelude calipers bolt right up to the GSR spindle....but the offset of the caliper is different, causing the rotor and caliper to hit each other. This is where I used the 1/8th spacer....between hub and rotor.

The ITR rotors were actually off my friends car (www.c-speedracing.com project Integra). These are what....like 11 inches or so...VERY large compared to my stockies ( don;t have ABS).

Then, to clear the caliper, I used the H&R wheel spacers. This also gave me a much wider track up front and just the handling felt a lot better. I used a 15/16ths MC for better pressure, and that was that. Same stopping power as a 5 lug setup, without the cost. WELL worth it IMO....a LOT better than stock. I throw people into the windshield when I stomp on the brakes. I can late brake safely now too ( track only of course).

Here's some pics....(bored aftwr work )

More for kicks

I would suggest an OEM setup like this anyday. Most parts can be found for very cheap

</TD></TR></TABLE>
Old 11-29-2003, 12:49 AM
Sushi Buffet Champion

Default Re: home made big brake kit (Emerika)

Interesting...
Old 11-29-2003, 01:04 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: home made big brake kit (GapxGuy)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by GapxGuy &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Interesting...</TD></TR></TABLE>

yes they are
they work very good
i had a nice ride with them but he loves to slam them just for testing LOL

nice setup all the way
Old 11-29-2003, 01:14 AM
Honda-Tech Member

thanx Emerika. whats funny. i must be color-blind. cuz it was your write up that i remember yet for some reason. i kept seeing your car as white. o well. thanx for the post. i guess imma emulate your setup.
Old 11-29-2003, 01:30 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (snowboarderguy44)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by snowboarderguy44 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">thanx Emerika. whats funny. i must be color-blind. cuz it was your write up that i remember yet for some reason. i kept seeing your car as white. o well. thanx for the post. i guess imma emulate your setup.</TD></TR></TABLE>

buy his setup i think he might be selling it '

its worth it for his price because all the parts you get
Old 11-29-2003, 01:35 AM
Solbros Owns Me

Default Re: (drevinder)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by drevinder &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

buy his setup i think he might be selling it '

its worth it for his price because all the parts you get </TD></TR></TABLE>

I dunno if I'm selling....I need some brakes to run under a 14 inch wheel....so these may have to hit the curb...we'll see
Old 11-29-2003, 03:30 AM
Honda-Tech Member

That hatch is clean!! ;}
Old 11-29-2003, 06:49 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (ZEAL-SPORTS)

I might have to look into something like this...
Old 11-29-2003, 07:21 AM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Re: (slvrcivic97)

this set up rocks...

itr calipers
prelude rotors
CARBOTEC 1109 pads or bobcat pads!!!

booooya...i'll out brake any of you!
Old 11-29-2003, 09:05 AM
Honda-Tech Member

i found a place. selling fully rebuilt and certified ITR calipers $60/ea w/o core
Old 11-29-2003, 09:53 AM

Default Re: (Emerika)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Emerika &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

I dunno if I'm selling....I need some brakes to run under a 14 inch wheel....so these may have to hit the curb...we'll see</TD></TR></TABLE>

why the switch to 14"?
Old 11-29-2003, 02:13 PM

nice set up man how long did it take to do the entire install?
Old 11-29-2003, 02:18 PM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Re: (slowEh2)

bout 15 minutes per side...if that
Old 11-29-2003, 02:31 PM

ok so the Lude calipers bolt to the gsr spindes, correct?

GSR calipers also bolt to EG Civic SI spindles. (on my car)+(GSR rotor=SIcoupe rotor)

i also believe the Civic Si rotors are also 11" (correct me if i'm wrong)

so all i need to do it seems (for Si coupe owners) is to get:
-extended lugs
-1/8" spacers
-Lude calipers/pads (larger than GSR im guessing?)
-15/16" master cylinder?

can anyone point out where I'm wrong?
Old 11-29-2003, 06:52 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (chad)

sounds sweet, wonder if any one out there has a step by step diy im no0b with brakes.
Old 11-29-2003, 06:54 PM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by chad &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">bout 15 minutes per side...if that</TD></TR></TABLE>

this is chad were talkin about here...not your average weekend mechanic
Old 11-29-2003, 07:57 PM
Solbros Owns Me

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by chad &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">bout 15 minutes per side...if that</TD></TR></TABLE>

ha, if you're slow

Part that takes the longest is bleeding the brakes.

The GSR/EM1 rotors will not work....they are too small. Well, they would work, but you're only using half the pad. And remember, if you use the Prelude calipers, you will NEED a spacer between the hub and rotor OR mill the mounting point of the caliper to space it correctly.

Why do I want 14's???? Quicker final drive my friend
Old 11-29-2003, 08:12 PM

Default Re: home made big brake kit (snowboarderguy44)

Is there any way that I could do this on a 93 Civic Coupe DX? You guys are talking about EG Si's and I know DX breaks arent like SI's, but I thought Si's and GSR ROtors were the same size or near it??? DId I read the wrong inofmration??? Please let me know what I'd need to do this conversion to my car please.... I have 18" Rims and I have stock breaks....lol, looks kinda funny.... Any help would be great thank you. Please PM Me with the help.
Old 11-29-2003, 08:42 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: home made big brake kit (compwc18)

I wouldn't call it a big brake kit, but I know a few people who have done it, and it's a really nice functional mod.
Old 11-29-2003, 09:23 PM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Emerika &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

ha, if you're slow

Part that takes the longest is bleeding the brakes.

The GSR/EM1 rotors will not work....they are too small. Well, they would work, but you're only using half the pad. And remember, if you use the Prelude calipers, you will NEED a spacer between the hub and rotor OR mill the mounting point of the caliper to space it correctly.

Why do I want 14's???? Quicker final drive my friend</TD></TR></TABLE>

well, once u factor the 60 series rubber, its not a very big difference in cirumfrence, i would assume.
Old 11-29-2003, 09:27 PM

Default Re: (snowboarderguy44)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by snowboarderguy44 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">i found a place. selling fully rebuilt and certified ITR calipers $60/ea w/o core</TD></TR></TABLE>

And where might this be?
Old 11-30-2003, 11:25 AM
Solbros Owns Me

Default Re: (Mugatu)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Mugatu &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

well, once u factor the 60 series rubber, its not a very big difference in cirumfrence, i would assume.</TD></TR></TABLE>

who says I'm going with a 60 series rubber?

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Is there any way that I could do this on a 93 Civic Coupe DX? You guys are talking about EG Si's and I know DX breaks arent like SI's, but I thought Si's and GSR ROtors were the same size or near it??? DId I read the wrong inofmration??? Please let me know what I'd need to do this conversion to my car please.... I have 18" Rims and I have stock breaks....lol, looks kinda funny.... Any help would be great thank you. Please PM Me with the help.
</TD></TR></TABLE>

My 94 Si nonABS model shares the exact same front brakes as your DX coupe. This is why I needed the GSR/92-95 ABS/Si spindle assewmblies which bolt in like stock.

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
I wouldn't call it a big brake kit, but I know a few people who have done it, and it's a really nice functional mod</TD></TR></TABLE>

yeah, big brake kits are 5 times the money and stop just as good. blah. 2 inch bigger rotors...yes please. ITR pads.....yes please
Old 11-30-2003, 12:00 PM

I don't like the idea of wheel spacers at all. Do you have to use them with this setup?
Old 11-30-2003, 12:18 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I dunno if I'm selling....I need some brakes to run under a 14 inch wheel....so these may have to hit the curb...we'll see</TD></TR></TABLE>Emerika...what's stopping you from running 14in right now? with the kit......My 92 prelude uses 14 in steelies in the winter...are the type-r calipers bigger than the ludes?...........john

Quick Reply: home made big brake kit