Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Holy giant meatballs batman!!!

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-2003, 09:46 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Holy giant meatballs batman!!!

Sorry for the topic name... I got a few random questions and didnt know what else to title this post as. Besides, meatballs are delicious. No one can argue that, that is unless you dont like meatballs in which case you probably could disagree, but ignoring all those freaks, meatballs are delicious.

Wait, the questions. Yeah, those are important. I recommend just reading the first line of each question cuz i tend to rant about ****. Just a heads up.

Question the first: Does Maaco really suck as much salty nuts as people say they do? Im pretty sure they only use like 200 degree heat as opposed to 400 which most shops use. My car is ugly as **** and to be honest I dont really care that much, but if i sent over to Maaco would they be able to do anything contructive with it? I just need to get out 2 really minor dents that happen to be in hard to reach places on the body panels and fix about 20 or so scratches that I affectionately refer to as battle scars. Let me know what you guys think.

Question the second. Anyone here from the northeast that could list the names of some good auto shops? Im from CT, and the closest distributer that I know of is Manchester Honda which has turned into a rice stand as of late, not to mention that their prices are sorta jacked and selection shitty. You kids on the west coast have no ****** clue how lucky you are. Well then again we dont have that emissions bull ****.. My brother bought a front lip that was $100 bucks and then had to pay $165 in shipping costs. Thats pretty weak. Anyway, if you guys know of any good parts distributers, hondata tuners, autobody shops or anything along those lines (not general mechanics though, i can monkey through that ****) let me know.

Question the third. I have a JDM b16 in my 5th gen hatch and its occured to me that I dont have a cat conv or a test pipe. My exhaust attached directly to my header. That seems strange to me but seeming how emissions has been temporarily discontinued and my sticker says apr 2004 anyway, im not all to concerned about that yet. But just for ***** and giggles, why is that?

Question the fourth. Im gonna be upgrading my brakes pretty soon but the wheels that im thinking about purchasing are 15x7 so big brake kits are out of the question. If I just replace the stock rotors with some slotted ones,and my worn out brake pads with some "performance" ones, how much of a difference will i notice? How much are new brake lines and how hard are they to install?

Well, I could probably keep going but since I've already bothered u nice people enough, ill just be quiet. Thanks for all the help, seriously i appreciate it a lot.

-Nine
Old 02-06-2003, 10:05 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Holy giant meatballs batman!!! (Nine)

Question the first: Does Maaco really suck as much salty nuts as people say they do? Im pretty sure they only use like 200 degree heat as opposed to 400 which most shops use.
Most Maaco places CAN do a decent job, but it's going to cost more than the $189 Ambassador job. And it's always good to tip the painter ahead of time.

Question the third. I have a JDM b16 in my 5th gen hatch and its occured to me that I dont have a cat conv or a test pipe. My exhaust attached directly to my header.
What catback did you buy? And what header do you have? You probably got a catback for a coupe, hence the longer piping.

Question the fourth. Im gonna be upgrading my brakes pretty soon but the wheels that im thinking about purchasing are 15x7 so big brake kits are out of the question. If I just replace the stock rotors with some slotted ones,and my worn out brake pads with some "performance" ones, how much of a difference will i notice? How much are new brake lines and how hard are they to install?
Slotted is okay. Just DON'T go cross-drilled. And with some good pads, it'll make a difference. (What about OEM upgraded rotors from a GSR?) The stainless brake lines are easy. You just remove the old rubber lines by the calipers and attach them. Just remember to bleed the lines REALLY REALLY well.
Old 02-06-2003, 10:08 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Holy giant meatballs batman!!! (98CTRCoupe)

LOL, yeah send that bitch to maaco, you should be fine, my friend got his car done there it looks fine, but dont expect factory paint.

[Modified by silverEH2, 1:08 PM 2/6/2003]
Old 02-06-2003, 10:12 AM
93EH6

Damn long post most of this is covered somewhere on H-T so next time it is better to use the search function with that said i will answer what i can.

MACCO SUCKS MONKEY ***** !!!!!!!

Better rotors and pads will help your braking but i would sugest using your stock rotors unless you are experiencing brake fade then the slotted rotors would help with that

Old 02-06-2003, 10:13 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Holy giant meatballs batman!!! (silverEH2)

Ive been thinking of a cheap macco job to hold me over for a while. My paint sucks ***. Anyone got a few pics of one perhaps?
Old 02-06-2003, 10:14 AM

first off i can feel you situation, i lived in nj all my life them i moved to MA and there is jack **** around here, it has forced me to learn how to do EVERYTHING myself when it comes to my car though so that is the good part. plus nobody on the east coast gives a **** about performance it seems so its a lot of fun humiliatling ricers on the street.

now, from what ive heard the macco paint is not all that bad, its their prepwork that sucks which translates into a shitty final product. if you go w/ an extra $200 to tip the prep guy and paint guy ive heard you can get decent work done.

i was at manchester once b/c i was oin a bind and they were the only place selling benen bars, i needed a lower tie bar to finish a project that weekend so i drove down and got bent over the counter and raped on the price, and i have found out they arent even stocking benen anymore so to manchester. i dont know of any decent places that are not rice ups is your hommie.
i dont know about your exhaust but i have am wondering if MA has emissions laws b/c i just moved up her myself and i dont know local laws?
and http://www.fastbrakes.com has wilwood kits that will fit 15" wheels and take off 8lbs per wheel. if youre replacing rotors and pads dont get slotted ones just get blanks from brembo or autozone and replace the pads fluid and lines w/ stainless steel. peace, and welcome.