Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

hollowed out cat question??????????????

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2005, 07:21 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default hollowed out cat question??????????????

i hollowed out my ca on my 99 si and i have the cel lit up now.......i know its not a big deal but i cant stand it. i saw some of those little o2 sims on ebay with a couple wires hooked to a resistor for like 10 bucks. has anyone tried these or should i just spend the money on something useful like beer.
thanks
eric
Old 01-21-2005, 07:29 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: hollowed out cat question?????????????? (urnotfast)

How about get a new cat that you haven't hollowed out?
Old 01-21-2005, 08:08 AM

Default Re: hollowed out cat question?????????????? (Ricey McRicerton)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Ricey McRicerton &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">How about get a new cat that you haven't hollowed out?</TD></TR></TABLE>

Im with him, no cat-disrespect to everyone on earth

And yes, I feel the same way when domestic guys do it too
Old 01-21-2005, 12:18 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: hollowed out cat question?????????????? (civic-4-ges)

im not trying to disrespect you or the earth.......im just trying to get a little more out of my b16. if you wanna go after people for emissions start chasin down diesels. have you ever looked at the giant clouds of suit they blow out. i hardley think my car is melting your o-zone layer away. just like everything else in life you dont gain respect by beating up the smallest guy in the bar, you take on the biggest guy in there and kick his *** like its your job. so if you wanna make a difference how bout cleaning up the emissions on something bigger than a mostly stock civic.
peace
eric
Old 01-21-2005, 12:58 PM
Honda-Tech Member

you wont gain anything but noise on a NA car. well maybe a fixit ticket and a bill for $150 for a new cat.

turbo on the other hand...
Old 01-21-2005, 01:02 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Turbo E 604)

thanks for all your input but all i wanted to know is if those resistors they sell on ebay would shut off my cel.......................and i live in wv. we dont have fix it tickets or emissions so im not really worried about that................
Old 01-21-2005, 01:05 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 71 Likes on 52 Posts

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by urnotfast &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">im not trying to disrespect you or the earth.......im just trying to get a little more out of my b16. if you wanna go after people for emissions start chasin down diesels. have you ever looked at the giant clouds of suit they blow out. i hardley think my car is melting your o-zone layer away. just like everything else in life you dont gain respect by beating up the smallest guy in the bar, you take on the biggest guy in there and kick his *** like its your job. so if you wanna make a difference how bout cleaning up the emissions on something bigger than a mostly stock civic.
peace
eric
</TD></TR></TABLE>

I wouldn't be suprized at all if any modern diesel puts out less HARMFUL emissions than a catless gas engine... I'm not sure but I'll check into it...

As far as power... as mentioned... you're really not going to see much gains if any over a hi-flo cat (abt 100-150)... ESPECIALLY if you just gut your stock cat... that's going to create a volume of turbulence which could actually rob you of HP... a straight pipe maybe would give an NA car 1-2 hp...

you'd be better off indexing your sparkplugs. or making sure it's all tuned up...

Plugs, wires, cap, rotor, PCV valve, fuel filter (HUGE depending on when you last had it replaced).

As far as your actual question... Sorry I have no idea but I'm sure they work.. you probobly just need a resistor... but you'd need a wiring diagram to determine what kind of resistor and to which wire to mount it...

otherwise order a kit and return it if it doesn't work.
Old 01-21-2005, 01:07 PM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by urnotfast &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">im not trying to disrespect you or the earth.......im just trying to get a little more out of my b16. if you wanna go after people for emissions start chasin down diesels. have you ever looked at the giant clouds of suit they blow out. i hardley think my car is melting your o-zone layer away. just like everything else in life you dont gain respect by beating up the smallest guy in the bar, you take on the biggest guy in there and kick his *** like its your job. so if you wanna make a difference how bout cleaning up the emissions on something bigger than a mostly stock civic.
peace
eric
</TD></TR></TABLE>

If you're looking to get a little more power get a high flow cat. Plus you won't have to worry about the bothersome CEL.
Old 01-21-2005, 01:08 PM

Default Re: (urnotfast)

i got a resistor on my accord, and my cel is lit up still. i messed up my cat, and needed to get something cheap, cause i have an obd2 car, the cat costs 700.00 from honda, and that is the only place to get it. damn california laws.

i even put a bong into it, so i can put my 02 sensor in it, but it didnt work, i dont maybe its not cause of the o2 sensor then, not sure. sorry, hope this helps
Old 01-21-2005, 01:25 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (medside)

let me be the first to correct that one......
Bung not Bong
Old 01-21-2005, 01:50 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (sidesi)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by sidesi &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">let me be the first to correct that one......
Bung not Bong</TD></TR></TABLE>

pass dat $hit over here. *puff puff...drops dead*
Old 01-21-2005, 01:58 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Turbo E 604)

high flow cats still tend to have a cel for a si. sometimes they do, sometimes they dont. just get the cat and the o2 simulator
Old 01-21-2005, 05:34 PM
Honda-Tech Member

sorry to cause so much trouble with a simple question im just gonna buy the f*ckin thing and see if it works myself its worth the ten bucks to me not to get a lecture about the environment and whatever else so thanks to the couple guys who did try to say something helpful and to the guys who have nothing better to do than sit around the house waiting to flame people on hond tech. here is some advice for you............if you quit eating cheetos while watching ****, your dicks will stop turning orange!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 01-21-2005, 06:06 PM

Oooohhh...pissed cause you didn't like what you are hearing??

And I hate Cheetos....nasty ****!!!

Old 01-21-2005, 07:42 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: hollowed out cat question?????????????? (civic-4-ges)

All it is is a resistor go buy one at radioshack. And a highflow cat gets better results than a hollowed out one and sounds a lot nicer. The highflow cost about $150 its emissions legal and its better for the environment.
Old 01-21-2005, 08:00 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: hollowed out cat question?????????????? (tabrisakakaoru)

CEL=bad for performance! ECU goes into a set A/F program(car runs rich) instead of adjusting for current conditions/optimal power. If you get a reputable O2 sim they work just fine. Ebay ones are kinda shady sometimes. If yo do a search you should be able to find a write up about making your own O2 sim. Like stated before its just a resistor which gives the ecu the voltage it wants to see in turn no more check engine light.
Old 01-21-2005, 08:51 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: (medside)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by medside &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">i got a resistor on my accord, and my cel is lit up still. i messed up my cat, and needed to get something cheap, cause i have an obd2 car, the cat costs 700.00 from honda, and that is the only place to get it. damn california laws.

i even put a bong into it, so i can put my 02 sensor in it, but it didnt work, i dont maybe its not cause of the o2 sensor then, not sure. sorry, hope this helps</TD></TR></TABLE>

YOU CAN buy aftermarket cats to replace your stock one. just got to kragen or something. you can even have a universal one welded in, as long as u get one with an 02 bung in it
Old 01-21-2005, 09:23 PM

just get a good high flow cat with an o2sim from o2simulator.com works very well. got rid of the CEL i had from my testpipe
Old 01-21-2005, 09:58 PM

Default Re: hollowed out cat question?????????????? (eK9aT10pSi)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by eK9aT10pSi &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">just get a good high flow cat with an o2sim from o2simulator.com works very well. got rid of the CEL i had from my testpipe</TD></TR></TABLE>

Old 01-21-2005, 11:40 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: hollowed out cat question?????????????? (sleepless247)

hey sleepless (information-less)
cel for hollowed out cat is code 0420 rear catalyst efficiency code (i know because i have a snap on engine diagnostic scanner at my garage)............doesnt put car into safety mode and hasnt affected performance whatsoever..............do a search on this site for it its been discussed many times cel from rear 02 sensor in the cat is only emissions throws an annoying light but thats all. but that was a nice try at trying to flame me at least the other guys knew what they were talking about. i can take being flamed by someone with a little knowledge but you forrest gump have had your flame extinguished..............thank you come again
Old 01-22-2005, 03:30 AM

Default Re: hollowed out cat question?????????????? (eK9aT10pSi)

not in california, nobody will sell me one, not for my car that is. something with honda obd2 and california laws. oh and thanks for whoever that corrected me, haha.
Old 01-22-2005, 08:58 AM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by urnotfast &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">sorry to cause so much trouble with a simple question im just gonna buy the f*ckin thing and see if it works myself its worth the ten bucks to me not to get a lecture about the environment and whatever else so thanks to the couple guys who did try to say something helpful and to the guys who have nothing better to do than sit around the house waiting to flame people on hond tech. here is some advice for you............if you quit eating cheetos while watching ****, your dicks will stop turning orange!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! </TD></TR></TABLE>

YOU ARE A ****** IDIOT. CAN'T WE BAN PEOPLE FROM WEST VIRGINIA FROM POSTING? dude a gutted cat will get you 1-2 horsepower, and will F up the environment more than your simple inbred mind can comprehend. besides, who the hell notices a 1 horsepower difference? ricer
Old 01-22-2005, 09:17 AM

Default Re: hollowed out cat question?????????????? (green27)

Just 1 question: all this talk about hollowing out your cat for added HP and no one asks if you have some sort of cold air intake or even a higher flow air filter? Let your engine BREATH!
Old 01-22-2005, 10:58 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Wasn't tryin to flame at all but if you took it that way you must have some kinda complex!
Old 01-22-2005, 11:41 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: hollowed out cat question?????????????? (sleepless247)

BAN!

Unless you cut your cat open, gut it out, and then welded it back together, you're not gaining anything by sticking "Hollowing out" your catalytic converter. If you're going to try to gain power by not using emmissions, go get/build a test pipe.

Quick Reply: hollowed out cat question??????????????