Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Hole in roof! Recommendations!

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2010, 10:35 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hole in roof! Recommendations!

So I just bought a 93 civic lx and it looks like one of the previous owners had an antenna on the roof in the back above the back window. Like those shark fin type antennas or something. Well the antenna is gone and all the wiring is gone but im left with a hole in the roof. Its about the size of a nickel. I got a black engine bay plug that fits over it perfectly thinking maybe I would just super glue it on there or use some silicone sealant or something with the plug. Im not a welder so i cant weld it up and I dont mind the look of the plug up there, just dont want water getting in and rusting out the whole roof. Recommendations please!!!
Old 05-20-2010, 10:48 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Hole in roof! Recommendations!

so u need someone on hereto tell u how u should block up an antenna hole??? lol... wat a guy....

anyway, u can either go long with your plan of sticking a plug on there with crazy glue or u can carry the car to a paint shop and let them fill the hole and run a little paint on the area and u'd never know a hole was there.
Old 05-20-2010, 01:45 PM
S_F
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

-What I would do-

1. Take the head liner down.
2. Prep the surface around the inside of the hole by sanding and then cleaning with a solvent.
3. Cover the hole from the inside with several layers of fiberglass.
4. Once cured (will take a couple days. You will know because the smell of the solvent in the resin will dissipate) cover the fiber glass patch with seam sealer or silicone or the like.
5. Employ normal Bondo application methods from the outside.
6. Paint.

Originally Posted by $kreech
so u need someone on hereto tell u how u should block up an antenna hole??? lol... wat a guy....
No need for that. He already has done what should last for some time. He's just asking for the opinions of other people, which is never a bad thing.
Old 05-20-2010, 04:33 PM
Honda-Tech Member

[QUOTE=S_F;42534126]-What I would do-

1. Take the head liner down.
2. Prep the surface around the inside of the hole by sanding and then cleaning with a solvent.
3. Cover the hole from the inside with several layers of fiberglass.
4. Once cured (will take a couple days. You will know because the smell of the solvent in the resin will dissipate) cover the fiber glass patch with seam sealer or silicone or the like.
5. Employ normal Bondo application methods from the outside.
6. Paint.

No need for that. He already has done what should last for some time. He's just asking for the opinions of other people, which is never a bad thing.[/QUOTE]

thats why i gave my opinion after, it was just a joke.

anyway, unless he's into bodyworks he would be better off carrying the car to a shop as i said. it would work out much cheaper than going and buying all those materials and doing it himself, not to mention u need an airgun for decent painting.
also, once the correct of amount of hardener is added to the fibre glass, it will completely cure within 2 hours max easily, NOT a couple days... i helped fibreglass a bumper at my paint shop last week and it was painted a couple hours later.
the car will be ready in half a day if taken to a paint shop. this would be my option.
Old 05-22-2010, 04:34 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Thanks all for the comments. I am broke so bringing it to a shop isnt really on the top of my list of priorities with the car. Ive never worked with fiberglass before and wouldnt want to screw anything up. What if I JB welded a tiny square of sheet metal to the inside after prepping surface than filled in the top with bondo and used touch up paint? Thoughts on that?
Old 05-22-2010, 05:34 PM
Honda-Tech Member

dont half *** it. trust me. take it to a shop or make friends with a body guy.. ive got hell in front of me im patching a sunroof on an eg that some dummy put in.. heres a pic to make u cry. pardon the car im in the middle of dericing it.
Attached Images  
Old 05-22-2010, 07:59 PM
Honda-Tech Member

sunroof... there is a 5$ sunroof post. can look well, both in and out.

you can do fiberglass, just be good with it. put a little more than you need on both top and bottom, let it cure, sand it down on top a little lower than needed, add body filler, smooth, prime and paint it.

it honestly neeeds to be welded, grinded, filled, primed and painted.
Old 05-22-2010, 08:15 PM
pm4nudes

just get a welder to weld it! shouldnt cost more than 40 bux. or you can stuff it with some sham-wow
Old 05-22-2010, 11:23 PM
Honda-Tech Member

fiberglass resin works best compared to having a shop do it considering youll save a good amount of money to make a hole disappear. if you dont want to touch it up then look for a nice looking antenna to go on it so you have that hole problem solved
Old 05-27-2010, 01:14 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Thanks all! I am a do-it-yourself guy and I really can afford to bring it to a shop. I have never dealt with fiberglass or anything like that and wouldnt want to mess it up. How much would a shop possible charge to weld a little piece of metal on there in the inside so you guys think? Thanks.
Old 05-27-2010, 07:59 PM
Honda-Tech Member

working with bondo fiberglass is not hard at all.... a shop will easily charge you over 100