Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Hmotorsonline leakdown test results need advice.

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-2008, 10:14 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hmotorsonline leakdown test results need advice.

Just got my 97 jdm gsr motor from hmotorsonline. Did a leakdown test today before the motor got put into my car. I was very disappointed. I took off the intake manifold and exhaust manifold before i did the leakdown test and Ever cylinder i did, there was air leaking from the all the intake valves. I could hear the air escaping loudly and also felt it. Was it something i did wrong? I called Steve and he said that is going to happen because the motor has not been started in so long. Is that true? he said once the motor run in the car there should be no more leaking? Did i get a bad motor with all bent valves?

Modified by realis9 at 2:35 AM 6/15/2008
Old 06-13-2008, 10:27 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

valve adjustment? i doubt it can be all bent. either a valve adjustment or it needs to expand from heat to seat properly.
Old 06-13-2008, 10:35 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Hanmin)

i really hope so. Steve said those motor sits for months without starting so they get carbon build up. Man i was so bumped out. All four cylinder just loosing air at TDC. Before i bought the motor i told him i don't mind waiting till he finds the right motor, meaning a motor that they did there own leakdown and ever thing was up the par. he said they leakdown test all there motors.
Old 06-14-2008, 04:34 AM

Default Re: (realis9)

This kind of worries me, I have a B16 sirII complete changeover coming from hmotors and it should be here this coming week.
Old 06-14-2008, 04:52 AM

Default Re: (civicjoe)

must be warmed up, and what was the result of the leakdown, not that " you felt it" but what was the result on the leakdown guage? have you done a compression test? its supposed to be done where you do a compression test, and then if its low, then you investigate leakdown, and that shows the issue, but you need the numbers of what the compression is, and what the percent of leakdown is. do this while its somewhat warmed up and remember if the compression test shows its low and you suspect rings, do a wet test, add a little oil and re try it. dont forget to yank all the plugs when ytou do the compression test and dont forget for the WOT while doing so
Old 06-14-2008, 04:54 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (civicjoe)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by civicjoe &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">This kind of worries me, I have a B16 sirII complete changeover coming from hmotors and it should be here this coming week.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Don't know why you'd be worried when there are so many people who have had awesome results from hmotors.
Old 06-14-2008, 06:10 AM
* B A N N E D *

hmotors has always delivered good motors to my house.
Old 06-14-2008, 02:38 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (count me out)

it has a constant leak. I can tell the intake valves are not sealing. It's really noticeable i can hear it and feel it. My question is i'm i not getting the proper reading because the motor has not started?
Old 06-14-2008, 04:34 PM

please try again witht he motor warm, so yes run it, and then try again, if the throttle plate is opena nd it still leaks, youll hear it and still feel it through there. if you are worried, and its easier with how far the motors apart, then lap the valves in. this should take care of it.
Old 06-15-2008, 11:38 PM
FSAE

Default Re: (fastrc2)

I have done leakdown tests on cold, fresh assembled engines and had less than 5% per cylinder. A warm engine can tighten the numbers up, but if you can hear air escaping and you are sure each hole is at TDC, then something is wrong.

Contact HMotors and see what you can do. Since it hasn't been ran, and you just recieved it, they should be able to work some deal with you.
Old 06-16-2008, 07:20 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (92TypeR)

i contacted Steve and he told me " it's because the motor has been sitting for such a long time that's the reason why it not sealing properly. When the motor is started it should be fine. It really did not make sense to me.
Old 06-16-2008, 07:35 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

You should do a compression test before you do a leak down test. Do the compression and get back to us.
Old 06-16-2008, 07:38 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Luserkid)

the motor is in my garage. I really don't want to installed it to find out something is wrong. Ive always been told a leak-down test is the most accurate.
Old 06-16-2008, 07:45 AM
Mr. Badwrench

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: Hmotorsonline leakdown test results need advice. (realis9)

for what its worth i have gotten 20 engines from steve and the only one i had an issue with was an s15 clip that was crashed. (in which he made good on with no issues)

there may be carbon or for lack of a better word, crap on the seats. get it running, then go back and do a compression and leak down test.

btw what were the #S?

were they high or was it hissing a little with like 15-20%?
Old 06-16-2008, 08:03 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by realis9 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">the motor is in my garage. I really don't want to installed it to find out something is wrong. Ive always been told a leak-down test is the most accurate. </TD></TR></TABLE>

The motor doesnt have to be in the car for a compression test. Just put a trans housing with a starter on it and jump the starter. Bada bing bada boom you got compression testing powers.
Old 06-16-2008, 09:10 AM
Honda-Tech Member

i have not gotten my tranny as yet maybe in a week or 2.

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by boostedcivicsir &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">were they high or was it hissing a little with like 15-20%?</TD></TR></TABLE>

It leaks completely out.
Old 06-16-2008, 09:20 AM
Honda-Tech Member

if the motor is at TDC and air is leaking from the intake valves does that mean the valves are bent?
Old 06-16-2008, 09:53 AM
Honda-Tech Member

why dont you post any numbers your just saying leaking leaking leaking but no showing any numbers. for what its worth Ive done nothing but good business with hmotors there motors always start up first crank from the two Ive gotten.
Old 06-16-2008, 09:59 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Anyone who gets a motor from a place that doesn't provide exact history, and then doesn't inspect everything when its tore down is very ignorant. Tear your motor down put it in the shop have them inspect everything. If everything comes out good then only new gaskets are needed. If an issue does arrise then its a good thing you had everything apart. Thats my .02 Take it or leave it.
Old 06-16-2008, 10:01 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by realis9 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">if the motor is at TDC and air is leaking from the intake valves does that mean the valves are bent?</TD></TR></TABLE>

Did you pull the cams when you did the leak down test?
Old 06-16-2008, 10:48 AM
Honda-Tech Member

the only thing i did was take off the valve cover, intake manifold, and exhaust manifold and did the leak down test.

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by realis9 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">if the motor is at TDC and air is leaking from the intake valves does that mean the valves are bent?</TD></TR></TABLE>

there is no doubt that the motor will start i just want a healthy motor with good leak down #'s

would bent valves cause the intake valves to leak?
Old 06-16-2008, 11:09 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Post the numbers.
Old 06-16-2008, 11:16 AM
Honda-Tech Member

anytime i get a motor i set al the pistons level and pull the plugs. i then pour auto tranny fluid in the cylinders and let sit overnite. then shop vac the fluid out the next day. an old hotrodder trick i learned from a friend. the detergents in the fluid eat the carbon out away from the cyl rings and and valve seats so they can reseal on start-up. ive done this alot and have never had a prob. just make sure and pull the drain plug on the pan so if any fluid gets by the rings it will drain out. it will smoke for a minute on start-up but quickly goes away.
Old 06-16-2008, 11:27 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (devney)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by devney &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote"> Post the numbers. </TD></TR></TABLE>

there are no numbers to post the air keeps leaking out. i'll try to do it again tomorrow
Old 06-16-2008, 11:35 AM
Honda-Tech Member

If you left the cams in then yes then some of the chambers are going to leak because the cam lobe its pressing down on the valve so its going to escape. The only way to do a proper test is to go cylinder to cylinder and make sure all valves are shut closed by turning the crank pulley or just pulling out the cams and then doing the test. Your only other option is doing the compression test.

Quick Reply: Hmotorsonline leakdown test results need advice.