Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Hmm.. Got a nail in my tire, and it penetrated the tire at an angle.

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-2007, 08:42 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hmm.. Got a nail in my tire, and it penetrated the tire at an angle.

Today I noticed one of my tires was going a bit low.. I go to the air pump at the gas station to fill it back up, and what do I see? A NAIL!

Well it's leaking air very slowly, and when I spray water/soap over it, it bubbles up. So it's definitely leaking air.

I was thinking of plugging it myself, but I noticed that it went into the tire at an angle. Is it still pluggable? Do I need a new tire? Ughh I hope not!

Thanks guys.
Old 09-21-2007, 08:45 AM
Darth ModerVader

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Hmm.. Got a nail in my tire, and it penetrated the tire at an angle. (kaluwa3)

Where is the puncture? You should be able to plug it if it's located in the tread area, though some people regard the plugs as a temporary repair (I've never had any long-term issues with them, especially where speed rating is not a factor). You can also take it to a shop and have it plugged internally, which isn't terribly expensive, and is generally considered more permanent.
Old 09-21-2007, 08:49 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: Hmm.. Got a nail in my tire, and it penetrated the tire at an angle. (Padawan)

patch>plug
Old 09-21-2007, 08:49 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Hmm.. Got a nail in my tire, and it penetrated the tire at an angle. (Padawan)

I will go and take a picture of it shortly. I hope that it can be plugged, and not patched. I have Sprint Hart CPF's, and as you probably know they are EXTREMELY delicate. I dread getting new tires, just because I know they will screw the wheels up.

The nail is inside the tread.. pics will be up shortly.
Old 09-21-2007, 08:56 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Hmm.. Got a nail in my tire, and it penetrated the tire at an angle. (kaluwa3)

Why even try to plug it yourself?

Shops around here charge like $15 to patch & Plug your tire
Old 09-21-2007, 08:59 AM
Darth ModerVader

Default Re: Hmm.. Got a nail in my tire, and it penetrated the tire at an angle. (AWD Terror)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by AWD Terror &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Why even try to plug it yourself? </TD></TR></TABLE>

If he's looking to plug rather than have it patched internally, there really isn't any benefit to having a shop do it. They're essentially using the same tools and materials that are accessible to the rest of us.
Old 09-21-2007, 09:07 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Alright here are the pictures. As you can see the nail is in at a decently good angle.

What do you guys think?

Old 09-21-2007, 09:12 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

thats fixable, i think
Old 09-21-2007, 09:12 AM
Unceasing Measure

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

That's easily pluggable by any tire shop. Don't do it yourself.

Mike, who worked as a tire tech for two years before college.
Old 09-21-2007, 09:23 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Archidictus)

^ Thanks!

I'll take your word on it.

But is it true that no established (for lack of better terms) tire shop such as Tire Kingdom will plug a tire?
Old 09-21-2007, 09:26 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I had a tire kindom patch a tire...they won't plug it thou
Old 09-21-2007, 09:27 AM
Unceasing Measure

Default Re: (kaluwa3)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by kaluwa3 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">^ Thanks!

I'll take your word on it.

But is it true that no established (for lack of better terms) tire shop such as Tire Kingdom will plug a tire?</TD></TR></TABLE>

The "plugs" used in the industry now are a combination patch/plug that is installed from the inside-out. It involves chemical bonding to the inside of the tire and a length of rubber that is snipped off at tread-level on the outside to add strength to the damaged area. When I worked at the shop, we would usually melt the patch on a bit with heat to make damn sure it wouldn't leak afterward.

Most reputable shops use this method and it costs no more than $20

Looks like that
Old 09-21-2007, 09:29 AM
Honda-Tech Member

^ Okay, so are you saying this must be patched from this inside? I was trying to avoid having the tire removed and re-mounted.. Or can it be plugged from the outside?

Sorry, I just didn't catch the last one. (where you said from the inside-out)
Old 09-21-2007, 09:30 AM
Unceasing Measure

Default Re: (kaluwa3)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by kaluwa3 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">^ Okay, so are you saying this must be patched from this inside? I was trying to avoid having the tire removed and re-mounted.. Or can it be plugged from the outside?

Sorry, I just didn't catch the last one. (where you said from the inside-out)</TD></TR></TABLE>

Yes, the tire has to be removed from the rim and then remounted and rebalanced. This is all included in the price of under $20.
Old 09-21-2007, 09:33 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Just take it to a trusted professional and have it done properly. Doesn't look too bad, it'll be worth sacrificing a few trips to Starbucks.
Old 09-22-2007, 02:31 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: (BlackoutVTi)

alot of places wont patch a nail that is in at an extreme angle (the patch/plug from the inside)

2 reasons.

the dont want to be responsible if it still leaks after the patch

and they want to sell you a new tire to make money.

that nail is patchable, ive done hundreds of them like that, but dont be surprised if a tire shop says it isnt.
Old 09-22-2007, 05:37 AM
Honda-Tech Member

christ man just plug the thing.
it's not nuclear science, its a plug in a rubber tire.
all this debate is crazy.

i watched a shop plug a tire once, just to see what they did, they used the exact tool that i had at home, only i had the privilege of paying 20 bucks for it.
Old 09-22-2007, 05:43 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (instrument)

Plugs dont last, cheap and easy yes, but its kind of like buying a ebay turbo kit u get boost but u also get what you pay for. Go to a known tire shop and have them patch it, or if they have the plug/patches of course go that route but not all shops have them. As a dealer we charge about 20 bucks for patch and mount balance. so i doubt it will be any more expensive where you go.
Old 09-22-2007, 07:40 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (lsjon)

heres what ya do... first of all dont do it your self... thatll be bad down the long run because it will probably end up leaking.... take it to a tire shop (preferably a discount tire or americas tire because they do it for free) and they will patch it from the inside for you, replace the vale (if its rubber) and rebalance the tire. there ya go, good as new!
Old 09-22-2007, 08:17 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Mr. EK9)

Yes and MAKE SURE you do a inspection with the tire guy and tell them that this is the way you want it back. They usually put their top guy on the rims that have someone watching them.

The rope plugs dry up and will leak after a while the ones pictures will not. I am an old tire guy too. $20 is the going rate. Free that is if you bought the tires from them.

Do it right the first time....

Old 09-22-2007, 08:50 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (thesmogman)

nope... Discount tire or Americas tire (same thing, just depends where you are) will do it for free no matter what... even if you didn't buy it from them..... i work there so take it from me
Old 09-22-2007, 09:05 AM
Honda-Tech Member

easy fix. bring to walmart $9.95
Old 09-22-2007, 09:29 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Mr. EK9 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">nope... Discount tire or Americas tire (same thing, just depends where you are) will do it for free no matter what... even if you didn't buy it from them..... i work there so take it from me </TD></TR></TABLE>
Finally someone said this Just like he said, even if you've never bought a damn thing from this place...they'll patch it for free. As long as they "can fix it." Atleast start at this place...then go from there
Old 09-22-2007, 10:28 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (alacard)

im not just saying this cause i work there.... but take the tire to one of their stores and theyll take care of you
Old 09-22-2007, 10:44 AM
Honda-Tech Member

This is true. Discount has always taken care of any nails I would acquire on the job site. A plug is temporary, but I have never had any problems in the long term. Just keep it in mind you are more likely to damage the rim if you do decide to not replace the tire versus wrapping a new one. gl

Quick Reply: Hmm.. Got a nail in my tire, and it penetrated the tire at an angle.