Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Hit by drunk driver need help!?!?!

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2009, 02:59 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Hit by drunk driver need help!?!?!

well i got hit by a drunk driver
and i filed a claim with the ladies insurance which is mercury
they want to re paint my bumper but i just want a check so i can rebuild my motor
do i have to take it to a body shop or can i just get the check
is there some sort of law for this to work out my way?
damage is very minimal but the estimate is like $700 and thats a good amount for me to rebuild my ls/vtec
Old 01-19-2009, 03:02 PM
Master Detailer

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts
Default Re: Hit by drunk driver need help!?!?!

well there going to want you to get estimates, they might just cut you a check for the cost, inless you want to take it into the shop.
Old 01-19-2009, 03:04 PM
Honda-Tech Member

hmmm, in court i was offered restituity or parts/maintenance to get my car fixed...
Old 01-19-2009, 03:04 PM
Honda-Tech Member

i dont want to take it to a shop. my car is like half primer half candy root beer and theres no point to painting the bumper when the rest of the car looks like ****
lol
Old 01-19-2009, 03:06 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

go get an estimate from the most expensive shop and demand you get that for your damages...after all, the lady was intoxicated and definatly is illegal. I hate that for you. Good luck
Old 01-19-2009, 03:07 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Ran4it2
i dont want to take it to a shop. my car is like half primer half candy root beer and theres no point to painting the bumper when the rest of the car looks like ****
lol
dude take it to a shop and get an estimate...without the estimate they wont do anything. here in tennessee when i got rearended (lil different but kinda same) i took it to 3 body shops and they all printed estimates and i took it to the insurance and they wrote me a check. i think i got to choose between a check or repair but you get less money if you get the check (i think)...i just left the car lookin the same cuz it didnt do much but i got a fatass check of like $1.6k!!! lol

oh....and if you really wanna get the money tell them when you got hit that it did some other damage (if you can prove it)...like when i took my car to progressive they looked at it and i told them it knocked the cd player out and chipped paint on the hood and door (even tho i got hit in the back...lol) but it really did do that much damage. but dont just let them look at the bumper and call it a day.
Old 01-19-2009, 03:10 PM

i got hit by a drunk driver in october. they totaled my 98 lumina. geico cut me a check for 3250 hahahaha(the drivers insurance)... it was retail value on the car! but yea 700 is top dollar for one panel paint job. they will cut you a check so you can do what you want with it. just tell them you want the check and will get it painted on your own...
Old 01-19-2009, 03:11 PM
Master Detailer

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

^^^^ that happend to my buddy damage was quoted at 3300 and didnt get a check for that much....
i think they do it cause they know that your not going to pay all that to the shop, or your going to go a cheap shop.
Old 01-19-2009, 03:18 PM

Originally Posted by 98civdx
^^^^ that happend to my buddy damage was quoted at 3300 and didnt get a check for that much....
i think they do it cause they know that your not going to pay all that to the shop, or your going to go a cheap shop.
my lumina got totaled out. they took the car and wrote me the check. i was grinning from ear to ear..
Old 01-19-2009, 03:35 PM
Honda-Tech Member

ive gotten two estimates already i dont want to take it to a shop to get fixed is what i meant but the insurance company wants me to drop my car off at a shop
and they will have an adjuster come
its ****ing stupid
Old 01-19-2009, 04:27 PM

tell them you dont have time to drop your car off.. they cant force you to. and if your under 25 they cant issue you a rental car, so they will have to cut you a check. if you get three high estimates they will avg them together to give you the median.. and if the car is in your name and paid off by law they have to hand you over a check...
Old 01-19-2009, 04:39 PM

if your car is safely running they ask you to go to the shop where their insurance adjustor is located. tell them you only want it adjusted and you dont want to do the work. you have your own guy. or you can go through your own insurance company and have the womans insurance reimburse your insurance company. they arent going to force you to paint the bumper, but you need to get the damage assessed.
Old 01-19-2009, 05:56 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Icon7 Re: Hit by drunk driver need help!?!?!

Suck's
Old 01-19-2009, 06:06 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I actually just went threw this about last week. Someone slid into my moms car when i was driving it (Thank god it wasn't mine) Anyways.. I told them that i wanted them to come out and appraise the vehicle then to cut the check to me. It was progressive. I had went out and got a estimate for like around 1200 but anyways they drove out appraised it then cut the check to me right there on the spot. Basically if there not going to work with you, you can always threaten to take them to court.. Hell you can always say you got injured and get acouple hundred extra out of her... Besides she was drunk and driving so screw her.
Old 01-19-2009, 06:30 PM
Honda-Tech Member

dude, if you take it to a shop and get it estimated...the adjuster from the lady's insur. company should be there. After getting the price tag for how much its going to cost, you can take it to any shop you want. They cut you a check and you free to take it anywhere.

Don't listen to them telling where you should go or what you need to do. Cause you have your rights, plus your not even their customer. If they hassle you anymore, get a lawyer and get more money out of it...use excuses like they caused you personal distress, etc. Cause once they write you a check, they shouldn't even be bothering you again.
Old 01-19-2009, 06:58 PM

take alot and i mean alot pf pics at all angles to make sure you have proof of your case
Old 01-19-2009, 07:04 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I am 21 and got a rental car from enterprise when my care got tore up from some retard...
Old 01-19-2009, 07:34 PM
Honda-Tech Member

by the way you can file some back injuring stuff too. like after a couple of days some attorney would call you from your case number and ask if you if you got any injuries just say your back aches, they will assign you to a chiropractic go for like 8 months or so the give you about 3-5 grand. LOL. just a input for you to know.

about your situation i really don't know. if it was me i bring it to a shop let them fix it and pay a little for the other paint on the car i dont think it would be a lot. It'll be easier if you know the guys at the shop.