Honda-Tech - Honda Forum Discussion

Honda-Tech - Honda Forum Discussion (https://honda-tech.com/forums/)
-   Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) (https://honda-tech.com/forums/honda-civic-del-sol-1992-2000-1/)
-   -   Hit Bumps, car loses control (sorta) (https://honda-tech.com/forums/honda-civic-del-sol-1992-2000-1/hit-bumps-car-loses-control-sorta-962046/)

aphex23 08-17-2004 12:45 PM

Hit Bumps, car loses control (sorta)

Ok, now, i have no idea how to explain or describe this, so i didnt know what to search for.. so, bear with me while i try to explain this...

When i hit bumps and dips in the road, rather than my car correct itself, and keep my steering wheel straight, which i assume its supposed to do, does in other cars i drive, the steering wheel goes all over the place, and i have to correct it.. Im pretty sure this isnt normal, i sure as hell hope not anyway.. so i dunno what it could be??
I just put Tein Super Streets in, and so, i know it wasnt my crappy old suspesion now.. my dad said something about the ball joints maybe?? other than that, i have no damn idea.. thanks alot guys!/gals..

=GAME= 08-17-2004 12:53 PM

Re: Hit Bumps, car loses control (aphex23)

could be:
-alignment
-bushing
-steering rack
-wheel need balancing

underpressure02 08-17-2004 01:17 PM

Mine does that to when I have my suspension set to stiff. I know my rack is going south b/c there is a ton of play in it. Kind of makes for a scary ride. I am going to try and take some of the play out of the rack by adjusting the screw but I think I should prob just get a new one.

aphex23 08-17-2004 01:25 PM

Re: Hit Bumps, car loses control (underpressure02)

hmm, ok, how do i find out which it is though?? any characteristics one has more than another??

underpressure02 08-17-2004 01:28 PM

The only reason I know it is my rack or think it is my rack is b/c my car was just aligned. I actually get it aligned like once a month.
All my front and rear suspension componets are new along with bushings and so on.
I have 4 new tires on which were all balanced.

If your tires are not balanced you will feel your car shake while you are going down the road. May be high speeds or low speeds.

Bushings get under the car and look at them pull the wheel from top to bottom to check the ball joints.

Alignment well kind of need an aligment rack for that one.

Steering I can turn my wheel about 1/2 way either way and the wheels don't turn.

Jon V 08-17-2004 01:40 PM

get an alignment https://honda-tech.com/forums/images/smilies/emthup.gif

any time you do something where you have to take your suspension apart you should have your alignment re-done

aphex23 08-17-2004 01:59 PM

Re: Hit Bumps, car loses control (Jon V)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Jon V &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">get an alignment https://honda-tech.com/forums/images/smilies/emthup.gif

any time you do something where you have to take your suspension apart you should have your alignment re-done</TD></TR></TABLE>

yeah, im gonna later this week, but, it happend before this.. im thinking it might be the steering rack, i do have some play there.. is that very expensive?

underpressure02 08-17-2004 04:54 PM

I have not priced a rack yet. But you can get some of the play out of the rack. There is a huge nut that you need to undo and then screw this piece in. Sorry I can not be more descriptive. If you go under the car you will see what I am talking about.

wisjdmhonda 08-17-2004 08:34 PM

I had the same thing. turned out to be a bad bearing in the hub. just something you can check. jacked the car up in the front and see if the wheels wobble

jazz215 08-17-2004 09:31 PM

i have this same problem too... when i run over a dip or pothole.. the steering wheel just turns itself... pretty scary alright.. i know that my steering rack boots are ripped...

edit: i think the new steering racks are 2-300 dollars.. also is it recommended to only get an oem honda replacement?

Modified by jazz215 at 10:41 PM 8/17/2004

underpressure02 08-18-2004 05:38 AM

Re: Hit Bumps, car loses control (wisjdmhonda)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by wisjdmhonda &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I had the same thing. turned out to be a bad bearing in the hub. just something you can check. jacked the car up in the front and see if the wheels wobble
.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Not sure if this reply was for me. But I just put new stage 4 axles in with new dss hubs and got all new bearings and so on. So they should be good to go.

aphex23 08-18-2004 12:32 PM

damn, i hope its not my steering rack.. but yeah, mine does the same as yours, just jumps everywhere when i hit a good size bump.. this sucks, i dont know enough about this crap to really diagnose it myself...