Honda-Tech - Honda Forum Discussion

Honda-Tech - Honda Forum Discussion (https://honda-tech.com/forums/)
-   Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) (https://honda-tech.com/forums/honda-civic-del-sol-1992-2000-1/)
-   -   higher reving cam ? (https://honda-tech.com/forums/honda-civic-del-sol-1992-2000-1/higher-reving-cam-997815/)

duckmanEG 09-20-2004 10:02 PM

higher reving cam ?

ok i was looking into it and wanted to make a really high reving motor, but still be making power up there. i seen the hayabusa has really similar specs to a honda motor, bore and intake valve size. this is what i notice. the cam has a low lift (in. 8.8mm) but a really high duration (in. 276mm). so i was wondering is having that setup low lift high duration what makes it rev so high and make power. just curious any input would be great.

duckmanEG 09-21-2004 11:34 AM

Re: higher reving cam ? (duckmanEG)

so no one knows about the whole duration lift thing

2fast4u831 09-21-2004 11:35 AM

i heard crower was good at high rpm's

ABK 09-21-2004 11:39 AM

I don't know much about haybusa's. But I would be sure stroke on that thing is tiny.

IF you just throw a cam on the car, you won't be reving crazzy high with it. You need to get valves and retainers (to lower the mass), better springs, cams (while you are at it you might as well send your head to machine shop so they would fix it up (3 angle, recheck the guides, and etc. Maybe even P&P it). Then you could prolly rev it to 9500-1000 and still make power (posibly reinforce the bottom end somehow?) if it's a B series (not all b series though), don't know about H series too much.

duckmanEG 09-21-2004 12:50 PM

Re: higher reving cam ? (ABK)

yes the stroke is 63 real small. but there is no way i was just thinking of throwing it in. balanced and mircopolsihed crank fluid damper. rods, cunningham rod bolts. forged pistons. headwork to accept the amount of air. and thanks for the input

Soccerking3000 09-21-2004 01:20 PM

if you really want a a high revving motor bore it out to 1.8 liters and then destroke it and you can rev it to oblivion https://honda-tech.com/forums/images...es/emsmile.gif

duckmanEG 09-21-2004 09:10 PM

Re: higher reving cam ? (Soccerking3000)

ok yes thats what i was thinking a b16. sleeved and bored to 84mm by earl. then sum forged maybe super dampers with gas reliefs and sum kind of good higher compression. a block girdle. h beam rods. cunningham rod bolts. balanced and micropolished crank by earl. fuild damper to keep everything balanced. lots of headwork sum sqaure ports. and then sum itbs with big throttle bodies to suck lots of air in.

but i still need to know if that what would make the engine rev higher huge duration and low lift. i want to make power lil past 10000 but be able to rev it a lil more.

birds_sol_94 09-21-2004 09:32 PM

I think skunk 2 and jun make some good ones! i dont know cause ive havent experienced them yet... but thats what ive heard!

duckmanEG 09-21-2004 09:39 PM

Re: higher reving cam ? (birds_sol_94)

ok im not really asking what cam becuz i dont think any shelf cam with do what i would want it to do. so thats why i just wanted to know if that whats makes a motor rev higher is having high duration and low lift.

Soccerking3000 09-22-2004 08:35 AM

okay they have long durations and low lift to allow you to rev higher. This is because it is easier on the springs and so forth to not have to open farther but just for a longer period of time understand, you get the same amount of air but with less strain on the valves/springs et cetera. It means the valvesdont have to move as fast and is overall more reliable and safe.

duckmanEG 09-22-2004 09:26 AM

Re: higher reving cam ? (Soccerking3000)

ok so i wanted to achieve this is that what kind of cam of would need for a honda sumthign with huge duration and a small lift

Soccerking3000 09-22-2004 09:33 AM

well not necessarily huge duration but proportional to its lift, you have to do some calculations to see how much cfm would be able to go through the valve and see what would be the best combo and what would be able to rev the highest i.e. smallest lift longest duration possible w/o fucking something up, but you'd still be better off boring out the engine then destroking it, it would essentially make it a busa, maybe slightly longer stroke but it would be hella rev crazy

Boostage 09-22-2004 09:43 AM

lift makes u rev higher duration makes u breathe better in high rpms

LIFT-how far the valve is open

DURATION- how long the valve stays open

as for the hayabusa, u cant base thier specs on building your car, they have independent throttle bodies per cylinder and a much small stroke. they will breathe really good past 10k their heads also support this. on your car you would need a good flowing head and intake, bigger throttle body and a cam with high llift and enough duration on both cams to create valve overlap. with overlap helps alot for high rpms breathing, unless you have forced induction.

Jon V 09-22-2004 09:47 AM

Re: higher reving cam ? (Boostage)

Start with a B-16b, that what this motor was made for ! https://honda-tech.com/forums/images/smilies/emthup.gif

B18C5-EH2 09-22-2004 09:54 AM

I never caught what type of engine this would be...or is that undecided?

builthatch 09-22-2004 10:12 AM

Re: higher reving cam ? (Boostage)

nobody mentioned that the busa has super lightweight EVERYTHING and lots of exotic materials...= high rev potential...

high revs, like BIKE high revs require lightweight valvetrain, ti rods, lightweight pistons, etc...

sure you can go high while cutting some of that stuff out of that equation, but it stresses the rest of the chain exponentially...

why the need for high revs? is it a race motor where you will be @ 6-10k all the time? if not, IMO look for max torque with the most HP possible, regardless of revs...torque is what you want on the street!

Crower 3 is about the best street/track cam IMO.

duckmanEG 09-22-2004 11:58 AM

Re: higher reving cam ? (B18C5-EH2)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by B18C5-EH2 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I never caught what type of engine this would be...or is that undecided?</TD></TR></TABLE>

are u asking what motor or what the motor will be used for. i was thinking of using a b16 since it has close to perfect ratios and will have less stress on the bottom end. what it will be used for i wanted to use it on a race track/road course but i was just wanted to know what makes the motor rev higher i know the cam is a big part so i was trying to learn a lil bout it.

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by builthatch &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote"> why the need for high revs? </TD></TR></TABLE>

i wanted to use it on the track, another thing i havent seen it b4 and thought being able to rev this high well making power would be a neat thing to hear.

thanks for all the input