Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

High rpm then dies (solved)

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-2015, 04:04 PM
Trial User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default High rpm then dies (solved)

Ok here we go I built a honda outlaw stock car it has a d16y7 engine and this is the 4th weekend it's been doing this it would run great for about 3-5 laps then after them once the revs got up to about 6000 sometimes a bit less it would cut out then kick back in about 2 seconds later and keep doing till the end of the race I replaced everything I can think of I think lol besides the ignition switch but I have it bypassed it only happens at high rpm then comes back to life please help me I race again this weekend and I'm sick of this happening Thanks
Old 06-29-2015, 04:44 PM
I never narc'd on nobody!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default re: High rpm then dies (solved)

You say you built it, but you haven't given us any details as to what has actually been built.

https://honda-tech.com/honda-civic-d...sting-3002401/

That said, it sounds like coil/ICM failure caused by heat soak, or possibly spark blowout.
Old 06-29-2015, 04:53 PM
Trial User

Sorry lol by built I meant just the roll cage and lowered but that wouldn't have anything to do with it I I changed the motor after the first weekend and have a new one in but the old motor did the same I changed the icm tonight so I frigging hope it works
Old 06-29-2015, 05:00 PM
Trial User

And what did you mean by heat soak and spark blowout??
Old 06-29-2015, 05:01 PM

Yeah, those two things wouldn't affect it, but you'd be surprised how many times we go on for pages (and days) trying to help someone, and then they casually mention something that completely changes the answer, and it gets solved in 5 minutes. We have to ask.

Your coil and ICM would definitely be where I would start. If you don't already have one, pick up a DEI/HEI spark tester, and tell us what color the spark is. Since you only have the problem after heat soaking, and only at high RPM, ideally, you'd do the test after heat soaking your engine (but you obviously can't do it at high RPM).

Heat soak is when everything gets extremely hot under the hood. It's more common in turbocharged cars that aren't properly insulated, but on a car seeing heavy track use, it could be an issue. Basically, you're sending the parts to the edge, if not outside of, their temperature service limits, and the parts can't keep up.

Spark blowout is when your spark is too weak, or your gap is too big, and the incoming air literally blows out the spark before it fully ignites the fuel, similar to blowing a candle out.
Old 06-29-2015, 05:24 PM
Trial User

Ok awesome man thanks for the details I got practice tomorrow night and I changed the icm and I will check the spark one thing I didn't do was change the plugs and wires when I did the motor but I can't see that having anything to do with it because it kicks back in a Second or two later other thing I tried to get it to bog by letting it get hot and Rev it right up but it won't die must have to be under load I'd assume but not sure the cars by polar Haha
Old 06-29-2015, 05:32 PM

If the plug wires aren't NGK, do yourself a favor, go to Advance Auto, and get yourself a set. They're a little pricy, but well worth it.
Old 06-29-2015, 05:38 PM
Trial User

Oh I got some ngk's on er for sure!
Old 07-01-2015, 02:56 AM
Trial User

So I changed the icm and went to practice last night didn't work a fella come over and mentioned maybe my altinator was making to much charge cause I have nothing be powered but the fuell pump I didn't really think that but was willing to try anything so did it and went out ran 30 laps with not one problem car pulled hard the whole time glad it's fixed but man that's weird