Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

high revving when the engine is cold...

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-2005, 05:10 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default high revving when the engine is cold...

when i test drove a gs-r a while ago they said to never rev a vtec engine to 5400rpm (or wherever vtec kicks in on that car) because it seriously wears something out but i cant recall what he said..

my experience is that it just doesnt turn on when its cold, is it really bad to rev it up there before its all the way warm though?
Old 01-28-2005, 05:11 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Do what you want, the car can take it fine... I sit in parking lots revving mine to 7+k rpm all the time.

be it cold in the morning, or hot at night.
Old 01-28-2005, 05:17 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Maginnovision)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Maginnovision &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Do what you want, the car can take it fine... I sit in parking lots revving mine to 7+k rpm all the time.

be it cold in the morning, or hot at night.</TD></TR></TABLE>
so your one of those people that everyone hates.
I would not rev the motor up until it has warmed up some. As it has been stated befor, you try waking up and just start running a marthon without fully wakeing up or getting prepped, its going to hurt.
Old 01-28-2005, 05:19 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (sohcvtec1995)

Not that I know of. I do it in a vacant parking lot where near I live in the morning, and around a bunch of racers in the evening/night time.
Old 01-28-2005, 05:38 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (sohcvtec1995)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by sohcvtec1995 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">so your one of those people that everyone hates.
I would not rev the motor up until it has warmed up some. As it has been stated befor, you try waking up and just start running a marthon without fully wakeing up or getting prepped, its going to hurt.</TD></TR></TABLE>

i wanted to real bad today too... some dick ho in a riced out gs-r was driving like a ******** and it was a 2 lane road about to go to 1 lane and i could have got in front of him and forced him to drive normally but he sped past me before it went to 1 lane.

b16 hatch &gt; gs-r
Old 01-28-2005, 07:05 PM

Default Re: high revving when the engine is cold... (90gs)

i like to keep it under 3k rpm while the engine is cold. btw, vtec doesnt engage when the motor is cold. so even if you revved it past 5500rpm.. there would be no vtec, if the motor isnt fully warmed up yet.
Old 01-28-2005, 07:24 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: high revving when the engine is cold... (_Edge.ONE)

its also a good idea to let it warm up alil spec in the winter to give oil a chance to get up threw ur motor
Old 01-28-2005, 07:28 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: (Maginnovision)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Maginnovision &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Do what you want, the car can take it fine... I sit in parking lots revving mine to 7+k rpm all the time.

be it cold in the morning, or hot at night.</TD></TR></TABLE>

you = idiot
Old 01-28-2005, 07:41 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Kamin)

when the car is cold it will not jump the the high lobe on the cam to vtec, dont rev up to vtec untill the car is warmed up
Old 01-28-2005, 07:47 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Lmgrcivic)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Lmgrcivic &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">when the car is cold it will not jump the the high lobe on the cam to vtec, dont rev up to vtec untill the car is warmed up </TD></TR></TABLE>

i think you mean when oil pressure is low...
Old 01-28-2005, 07:57 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (ruthless013)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by ruthless013 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">i think you mean when oil pressure is low...</TD></TR></TABLE>
no he is right, engine temprature. if the car is cold vtec will not engage. its an idiot protection switch.
Old 01-28-2005, 10:31 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Kamin &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
no he is right, engine temprature. if the car is cold vtec will not engage. its an idiot protection switch. </TD></TR></TABLE>
Old 01-28-2005, 11:50 PM
Honda-Tech Member

now since it's so cold out i warm my car up half all the time. for about 20 min.
Old 01-29-2005, 03:32 AM
H-T White Ops

Default Re: (ruthless013)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by ruthless013 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">i think you mean when oil pressure is low...</TD></TR></TABLE>

...I think you are wrong...

Oil pressure is actually going to be HIGHER in a cold engine than in a warmed up one. Get an oil pressure gauge and you'll see that.
Old 01-29-2005, 06:55 AM

Default Re: (IslandSi)

my $.02, oil sits at bottom, start car, rev, you're turning the engine faster than the car can get all the oil thrown up....i wouldnt do it
Old 01-29-2005, 07:09 AM
H-T White Ops

Default Re: (mountaindewguy)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by mountaindewguy &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">my $.02, oil sits at bottom, start car, rev, you're turning the engine faster than the car can get all the oil thrown up....i wouldnt do it</TD></TR></TABLE>

Not exactly true. Your pump is going to pump the oil and get it to where it has to go no matter what. OIl doesn't really do a good job lubricating until it gets to it's normal operating temp.
Also, your engine was designed with certain clearances in mind. Letting the engine warm up gets those parts to their proper operating temp. Pistons, rings, cylinder walls, etc. expand when they get warm. Honda engineered their engines to last and last at that normal operating temp.
Just what I've concluded over the past few years.
Old 01-29-2005, 11:32 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (IslandSi)

does anyone know anything about the severe wear to certain parts when you high rev if its cold? i cant recall what parts he said were wearing out...
Old 01-29-2005, 12:19 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (90gs)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by 90gs &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">does anyone know anything about the severe wear to certain parts when you high rev if its cold? i cant recall what parts he said were wearing out...</TD></TR></TABLE>
everything.
revving an engine when its cold can damage every rotating part in the engine.
Old 01-29-2005, 01:20 PM
Honda-Tech Member

i think thats normal for a car to rev high when its cold. It lets it get to good operating temp. But im not sure if thats what you are talking about or not.
Old 01-29-2005, 01:32 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: high revving when the engine is cold... (TrizzyDizzy)

no its not the same thing.
Old 01-29-2005, 01:46 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: high revving when the engine is cold... (Kamin)

- vtec won't kick in when your motor is not in normal operating temperature. it's not a good idea to rev it happy when the motor is cold, etc.

- your motor revs high on cold start, that's how all motors are. my b16 goes up to 2k and gradually go down as the motor gets warmed up.

Old 01-29-2005, 01:54 PM
H-T White Ops

Default Re: high revving when the engine is cold... (TrizzyDizzy)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by TrizzyDizzy &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">i think thats normal for a car to rev high when its cold. It lets it get to good operating temp. But im not sure if thats what you are talking about or not.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Not what this thread is about.
Old 01-31-2005, 09:15 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: high revving when the engine is cold... (IslandSi)

http://honda.lathi.net/vtec.html

food for thought...

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by IslandSi &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Oil pressure is actually going to be HIGHER in a cold engine than in a warmed up one. Get an oil pressure gauge and you'll see that.</TD></TR></TABLE>

i don't believe this is true, but i may be wrong. a tire inflated to 35psi cold, then driven on a track (heated up), would show an increase in pressure (PSI), yes?
Old 01-31-2005, 09:28 PM

Default Re: high revving when the engine is cold... (ruthless013)

when i had my jeep cherokee... whenever i started the engine cold the oil pressure was a little past half on my gauge... and once the engine warmed up it dropped to the 1/4 mark....so in my experience yes the oil pressure is higher in a cold engine then in a warmed up one...
Old 02-01-2005, 12:02 AM
H-T White Ops

Default Re: high revving when the engine is cold... (ruthless013)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by ruthless013 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">i don't believe this is true, but i may be wrong. a tire inflated to 35psi cold, then driven on a track (heated up), would show an increase in pressure (PSI), yes?</TD></TR></TABLE>

Trust me, you ARE. Cold engine oil pressure is higher than a warm one. Don't believe me? Get yourself an oil pressure gauge or ask anybody in the FI forum. Your example of tire pressure in a cold tire vs that of a warmed up one compared to engine oil temp vs pressure is like comparing apples to toilet seats. Not even in the same neighborhood of camparisons.

Quick Reply: high revving when the engine is cold...