Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

high pitched noise from clutch

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-2007, 07:10 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default high pitched noise from clutch

I just installed a new exedy stage 1 racing clutch on my B18c, i put new pilot bearing , throw out bearing, resurfaced the flywheel. now when the clutch is fully disengaged i hear a high pitched squealing noise but if i push the clutch 1 inch in it goes away, does anyone know what this could be? i have bleed the system as well. thanks
Old 06-30-2007, 07:40 AM
ic
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: high pitched noise from clutch (copperhatchb18)

Your description doesn't make a lot of sense. You say the noise goes away when you push the clutch pedal down about an inch, but makes noise when disengaged. (Disengaged clutch = pedal to floor)

if it makes noise when the pedal is up (engine is spinning transmission) then it could also be your transmission's ISB, input shaft bearing. Especially since the noise goes away if you begin to push in the pedal.
Old 06-30-2007, 08:00 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: high pitched noise from clutch (ic)

Ive got the same thing happening with my B20B with a B16 tranny. Do you hear any other squealing when you are in neutral with the pedal pushed in a little? Do this, have someone push the pedal in that little bit that stops the noise while you look under the hood. While they are doing that, pay attention to the slave cylinder on the front of the tranny. When ever someone pushed in my pedal, or if I pushed the fork towards the slave cylinder, the noise went away. I dont know what this means, or how to fix it, but it should give you a start as far as finding help. Im gunna check in on this to see if anyone has an answer.
Old 06-30-2007, 10:22 PM
ic
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: high pitched noise from clutch (daluv)

daluv

sounds like noise from your TOB when there's no load on it. If you push the fork TOWARDS the slave cyl. you are pivoting the TOB away from the pressure plate and likely terminating all contact and bearing movement.

on the other hand, if someone lightly pushes on the clutch pedal and takes up the freeplay, the bearing is now preloaded against the pressure plate. loose bearings tend to make more noise than preloaded bearings.

You'll have to look at your tranny, but IIRC in some application the pivot point for the release fork is adjustable (threading ball with locknut, etc) and you can put a slight preload on the bearing

otherwise I think you'll be fine
Old 06-30-2007, 10:43 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Makes me wonder if you put the disc on backwards, this one really has me going because my two typical answers below don't seem to completely match up.

Could be the ISB, did you wiggle the input shaft on the transmission when you replaced the clutch? If its loose, that bearing has ***** flying around the inside of the case...

FYI, release bearings only make noise when you push the pedal in, it contacts the clutch fingers and the inside half of the bearing should start turning with the fingers, if you have noise with the clutch pressed in, its the release bearing, if its making noise when its out, its the transmission, particularly the ISB and perhaps the far countershaft bearing.
Old 06-30-2007, 11:04 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Double post.....
Old 06-30-2007, 11:22 PM
Honda-Tech Member

That sounds about right for the squealing, come to think of it I think its been a few years since its been changed, definatley wont hurt to check her out. Thanks IC.