Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

high mileage si

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-2009, 10:50 AM
New User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default high mileage si

I recently purchaced a 300k mi civic si hatch...yep...305k to be exact! one owner, no accidents, taken well care of... but obviously old as poop

after replacing plugs, they are still showing signs of pre ignition
I have set the ignition timing stock...and run 93 oct.

also after the car finally comes to operating temp, it idles too low 500 rpm..occationally and almost conks out ?

There is no CEL and other than the trans/clutch making tons of noise, and and a bad oil pan gasket leak..everything looks great.

Also I plan on buying a new trans and clutch or motor swap and because i now live in an apartment in a new area...I have no resources of places or people in my area who could help. How could I find out? I am located in Greenville, SC. Thanks
Old 11-18-2009, 11:10 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: high mileage si

hmm, check the comp number for the hell of it if its the oprig engine(id like to know if this thing is still good which it probaly is)

if no cel no idle fluctuation then adjust the idle screw(but do this to the last resort. could be a vaccum line or sensor. but u said no cel so do that when engine is warmed little by little checking it)

my em1 clutch makes alot of noise too
if it grabs on then leave it
mine is a stage 2 so i deal with it

srry i though u meant a 99-00 si

well if you have a 94-95 si then those engines are prett damn strong anyways i wouldnt worry about anything. probaly runnign some cheap clutch that will do that. warped a bit. use an oem clutch and break it in properly.
Old 11-18-2009, 12:58 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I have my car for over 3 years and the clutch/tranny have always made a lot of noise, I've never had a problem though... I think it "needs" some new bearings
Old 11-18-2009, 01:34 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by D Griff
I have my car for over 3 years and the clutch/tranny have always made a lot of noise, I've never had a problem though... I think it "needs" some new bearings
input shaft bearings

same issue with me sounds like gremlins in my tranny lol
Old 11-18-2009, 10:24 PM
New User

Sorry bout the confusion first off... not a 99 si
Its an all original, 92 hatch si. Old man from little town out here in SC ordered it from Anderson Honda 17 years ago.

he told me its the original clutch...uh yeah... So...its absolutley AMAZING the damn thing even works at all! It has the WORST engagement feel...and whirling sound..but it still grabs! I mean hell its only got to hold a max of like 106ftlbs!
Its definitely the original engine, cause the main or rod bearings are worn pretty good. 300,000mi remember!
bottom end doesnt knock, just that loose metal wHirling sound from the looseness.
The trans bearings are VERY worn also...adds to the NOise.

I Cant wait to get my twin loop muffler to drown out the engine noise
I want to get a new trans and clutch but, for the price of that, I think I should just do a full motor swap and be done with it. money is real tight but if the car will hold out a bit I may be able to come up with the 1-2k to do a decent swap. Like I said my main issue is not knowing where to get one done here?
I figured I would just do a D15b swap. little juicier than a stock ol d16z6 and I can get it cheap and drops right in no prob. hey, lighter too

nother question is could I be detonating cause low fuel press. ? havnt checked yet...but if its the original fuel pump... would it die out slowly or just one day stop working?

Thanks for the help
Old 11-18-2009, 10:29 PM
Honda-Tech Member

drop in an ls straight swap, ls mated to a si is by far the best all motor/budget i could think of

i kept up and smoked gsr hatches in my ls/b16 trans hatch. thing pulls like a bitch.
and cost me less than 800 bucks.

do not get the d15b, the z6 is loads better. u know the d15 is a 1.5 litre as the d16 is a 1.6 thats a downgrade in the future.
Old 11-18-2009, 11:18 PM
New User

Ive had MANY honda's. did a bad *** hi comp. GSR hatch a couple years ago.

The LS is a sweet freekin motor. Had a 90 integra LS back in the day too. That car was fun as hell with just I/E.
Guess I just was looking "VTEC" cause it is an SI, but when you have the HP and TQ of the LS. who need VTEC, right
Is it an easy swap... no mods? can I retain a/c and p/s?
My other option is buy a new trans and clutch for my z6 and call it good and see just how long the stock block holds its bearings!.... One Million Miles!! .... maybe not the way i drive
Old 11-19-2009, 01:13 AM
Honda-Tech Member

ls is a straight swap
no wiring
just plug and play, unless u dont have a 4wire o2 which is easy but i think u do since its an si

mounts and trans, axles and basic stuff will be needed. but gsr trans or b16 trans are the only options if u want some good *** power out of it in that hatch. ls for boost

i threw a 100 shot on it and called it a day

yeah u can retain everyhtign i beileve