Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

High Mileage motor oil.

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2002, 09:17 AM
New User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default High Mileage motor oil.

i changed my oil yesterday with mobil fully synthetic oil. It is for engines with 75,000 miles or more. Does this type of oil do more than regular oil? It was 10w-30, but honda recommends 5w-30, and i feel a lost of power is this expected.
Old 07-21-2002, 08:24 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: High Mileage motor oil. (99 HXagon)

alot of us use the mobil 1..there s better but this is the most easily available to all of us.. whether a high milage or low..it ll hold up under heat better than dino juice
Old 07-24-2002, 09:49 AM
Honda-Tech Member

People who have leaking engine finds M1 to leak more, and they prefer regular dino oil.

People who push their car hard dislike their low ZDDP (zink) content.

People who drive their car soft and use the oil for a long time (5-7k miles) like the way it last, and low price compare to Amsoil or Redline.

Some people who change their oil 3k say they are all the same (fresh oil is the best oil).
Old 07-24-2002, 12:16 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: High Mileage motor oil. (PandaBear)

You can start using synthetics after a reasonable break-in period. Maybe 5000 miles +/-. The sooner you start using it, the less wear you're going to have. My sister's '87 Integra LS just cracked 220,000 miles and it's had Mobil 1 it's whole life.

ALWAYS change your oil at 3,000 miles, even synthetics. While it may not break down from heat, it still gets dirty. Cheap insurance if you ask me. How much do you care about your motor?
Old 07-24-2002, 12:29 PM
Old Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

A lot of people will differ, but who know more about your Honda then Honda. If you want the proper oil changing schedule, refer to your owner's manual.

3 months/3000 miles must be something that car dealers and mechanics agree on as a way to bring in the business.

Many of today's cars have made great improvements in oil cooling. If you look at the owners manual on a 01,02 Civic. Honda recommend 6months/6000 miles under extreme conditions. I was surprise when I read that. And I'm pretty certain that no where in the G6 Civic manual does it suggest 3months/3000 miles.

As a 3 generation Civc owner, I have noticed the interval being longer and longer.
Old 07-24-2002, 03:15 PM

Default Re: High Mileage motor oil. (GoLowDrew)

Many of today's cars have made great improvements in oil cooling. If you look at the owners manual on a 01,02 Civic. Honda recommend 6months/6000 miles under extreme conditions. I was surprise when I read that. And I'm pretty certain that no where in the G6 Civic manual does it suggest 3months/3000 miles.

As a 3 generation Civc owner, I have noticed the interval being longer and longer.
This has almost nothing to do with improved oil cooling. This has to do with marketing. A new figure for sales is TCO, or total cost of ownership. Oil interval recommendations have been getting longer and longer - better cooling? No. A desire to sell more cars? Yes. If you change the oil less frequently, your motor will age quicker, and you'll be more likely to buy a car sooner, and with the longer recommendations, Honda calculates a lower TCO and sells more cars.

Also, look at the oil Honda is now recommending - 5W-20 - think that's better for the engine in the long run? Bullcrap. It's better for gas mileage, but the rings and bearings take the brunt of decreased film strength.

I love my Honda, but we can't worship on the alter of the manufacturer. They CAN and WILL make recommendations that are best for the COMPANY, and not for each of us.

Shawn
Old 07-24-2002, 08:42 PM

oil is oil
Old 07-24-2002, 10:13 PM

Default Re: High Mileage motor oil. (Mr. Sparkle)

thicker oil = power loss or so it has in my experience..... synthetic oils dont break down as easy but as mentioned above your oil still gets dirty just dont be like me and blow all your money on a monthly oil change.....
Old 07-24-2002, 10:18 PM

Default Re: High Mileage motor oil. (Mr. Sparkle)

Valvoline 5w-30 synthetic every 3k miles; I'm at 170k now, and she still runs like a champ

Whatever brand you use (unless you're representing Wal-Mart brand or some **** like that) change it every 3k, and your engine will love you for it. Way I see it, you can't change your oil often enough, but it's easy to <U>not</U> change your oil often enough.
BTW
oil is oil
I don't think a whole lot of thought went into that post
Old 07-24-2002, 11:12 PM

i change my motor oil every 2000 miles.... i have a high milage engine 94 b18c1 w/ 150 k miles... i use normal 10w40 oil. for 9 bucks an oil change... i dont mind changing it even more often.
Old 07-25-2002, 12:32 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: High Mileage motor oil. (aznmc16)

anybody have any thoughts on mobil 1's new Full synthetic ? I have been using castro full synth ....
Old 07-25-2002, 03:49 AM

Default Re: High Mileage motor oil. (JDM_SIR_II)

anybody have any thoughts on mobil 1's new Full synthetic ? I have been using castro full synth ....
Seems to be a regular update of Mobil-1's formula. Kind of like the Tri-Synthetic update in the early 90's. No specific data yet on how much detergent content and ZDDP (high pressure additive) contained in it is available from public domain analysis.

Shawn
Old 07-25-2002, 03:58 AM

i go with mobil powersynth or castrol synth 5w-30
Old 07-25-2002, 05:51 AM
Old Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Re: High Mileage motor oil. (shawnhayes)

. A desire to sell more cars? Yes. If you change the oil less frequently, your motor will age quicker, and you'll be more likely to buy a car sooner, and with the longer recommendations, Honda calculates a lower TCO and sells more cars.
That's a good point. But let's look at today's drivers. It's not uncommon to have cars that go over 100K miles, in a few years. It's expected, even in a Chevrolet today. Cars that don't last long will have no place in the market. No one will buy them. The average consumer keep their new car for about 8-10 years. That has not changed. The biggest difference is the number of miles on the clock. What used to be 60K-80K miles at trade in have now increased. A 120K used car today is still consider ok. Americans are communting farther year after year. We are drving more often. And cars will have to do so too.

We should have every reason to believe that todays cars will last longer (in terms of miles) than the ones they replaced. I will trust that Honda (like other makes) will continue to make improvements in that area.

Nothing wrong with changing your oil often at 3/3K. The questions should be, do you really need to? Who better to ask that question to then the people who made them (not sell or service them - who have $$$ behind their motive).
Old 07-25-2002, 06:32 AM

i agree with the people driving more miles!! 60-80 IS now 80-120 its a good analysis and i agree that honda is keeping up with the marketing...but i also agree that they're keeping up with the QUALITY of their cars to stand up to better driving conditions, higher mileage, better marketing etc. etc. etc.
Old 07-25-2002, 09:47 AM

Default Re: High Mileage motor oil. (94CivicSi)

my friend's 88 legend has almost 300,000 miles on it and its been running on dino oil its whole life and car is holding up well too
Old 07-26-2002, 03:51 AM

That's a good point. But let's look at today's drivers. It's not uncommon to have cars that go over 100K miles, in a few years. It's expected, even in a Chevrolet today. Cars that don't last long will have no place in the market. No one will buy them. The average consumer keep their new car for about 8-10 years. That has not changed. The biggest difference is the number of miles on the clock. What used to be 60K-80K miles at trade in have now increased. A 120K used car today is still consider ok. Americans are communting farther year after year. We are drving more often. And cars will have to do so too.
Agreed, and they have improved in quality. The improvements in engine reliability have been material technology, and manufacturing tolerances. Nonetheless, almost all car care experts agree that frequent servicing (including oil changes) is the way to make them last longer. Today's Honda with 7,500 mile oil changes will last 150,000 miles or more without many problems. Why not 300,000 miles with frequent oil changes?

We should have every reason to believe that todays cars will last longer (in terms of miles) than the ones they replaced. I will trust that Honda (like other makes) will continue to make improvements in that area.

Nothing wrong with changing your oil often at 3/3K. The questions should be, do you really need to? Who better to ask that question to then the people who made them (not sell or service them - who have $$$ behind their motive).
Again, there can be no pure motive here. The "car care experts" are usually in the service business, but the manufacturer DOES "sell" cars - although it's to the dealers, this is what keeps them in business. They have a vested interest in not making a product that lasts forever, but in making a product that eventually wears out and gets old. If you're a DIY using old petroleum oil on a Honda, four oil changes a year can cost as low as $30 PER YEAR. Compared to the cost of a new car, this seems trivial. I'll go the cheap route and change oil more frequently.

If you REALLY want to know, then send oil for analysis. This tells you for certain if your oil changes are frequent enough.

Shawn
Old 07-26-2002, 04:00 AM

Default Re: High Mileage motor oil.

i hear u guys talking about cars now-a-days that can go over 100,xxx miles and no problem....Honda's been making cars(engines) that go further than that for years...the technology Honda had 10 years ago is what domestic cars have now (a bit of exageration but...) dont u guys think?
Old 07-26-2002, 04:09 AM

Default Re: High Mileage motor oil. (dniedacess)

i hear u guys talking about cars now-a-days that can go over 100,xxx miles and no problem....Honda's been making cars(engines) that go further than that for years...the technology Honda had 10 years ago is what domestic cars have now (a bit of exageration but...) dont u guys think?
It has been more than that. Honda sells to a specific KIND of customer in addition to its engine technology. Yes, it's technology has been WAY superior to domestics, but in some ways, interesting choices have been made.

I don't know about the i-VTEC's, but Honda has used MECHANICAL lifters. For YEARS they recommended regular valve adjustments. Mechanical lifters, while being very durable, are VERY old technology. Almost everyone has abandoned them for hydraulic lifters (which require NO maintainance or adjustment). The choice of mechanical lifters has almost REQUIRED those with little to no car care experience to bring the car to the dealer regularly, and has put a Honda certified technician underneath the valve cover at least fairly frequently. This has contributed at least SOME to the long standing reliability of Honda's.

Also, it points out engineering choices. When Honda has to choose between newer technology and more reliable, they have chosen more reliable - ESPECIALLY if it required more dealer service in the past. This has made some of Honda's reputation in the business.

Shawn
Old 07-26-2002, 06:13 AM

Default Re: High Mileage motor oil. (wheresmyvxhb)

the wifes 89 volvo has over 300k on it..use s Mobil 1 and never has burn d a drop of oil
Old 07-26-2002, 06:23 AM

Default Re: High Mileage motor oil. (94CivicSi)

ever see Amsoil's claims of like 20K or 25K mileage or one year whichever comes first if you use their bypass oil filtration system and their filters? that is crazy to me...............
Old 07-26-2002, 06:28 AM

Default Re: High Mileage motor oil. (shawnhayes)

This has almost nothing to do with improved oil cooling. This has to do with marketing. A new figure for sales is TCO, or total cost of ownership. Oil interval recommendations have been getting longer and longer - better cooling? No. A desire to sell more cars? Yes. If you change the oil less frequently, your motor will age quicker, and you'll be more likely to buy a car sooner, and with the longer recommendations, Honda calculates a lower TCO and sells more cars.

Also, look at the oil Honda is now recommending - 5W-20 - think that's better for the engine in the long run? Bullcrap. It's better for gas mileage, but the rings and bearings take the brunt of decreased film strength.

I love my Honda, but we can't worship on the alter of the manufacturer. They CAN and WILL make recommendations that are best for the COMPANY, and not for each of us.

Shawn
I agree 100% here is a for you, drink up!