Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

High idle when clutch is depressed and car rolling?

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-2005, 10:39 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default High idle when clutch is depressed and car rolling?

This post if for a friend of mine who doesnt have access to a computer right now.

We recently got his JDM OBDII B18C swap into his Ek hatch. He finished up most stuff today and took it up the street for a quick little drive when he noticed a problem. The problem is while rolling and with the clutch pressed in the car would idle at whatever rpm he was shifting at. So if he shifted at 3000 the car would idle at 3000 and stay there until the car came to a stop or if he was rolling in nuetral with the clutch in and came to a stop he could let the clutch out in nuetral and it would drop the idle back down. The car idle fine at a stop no with that really just while rolling or driving the car the revs didnt want to go down between shifts.

Not sure what it could be right off
Old 07-27-2005, 10:42 PM
Banned

Default Re: High idle when clutch is depressed and car rolling? (ringgold)

Throttle cable is sticking? Is the idle set correctly? Check the IACV? Not sure.
Old 07-27-2005, 10:51 PM
HT Order of Merit

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: High idle when clutch is depressed and car rolling? (Diseased Dreams)

Ive had that **** happen to me before. Gets annoying. Check the IACV and clean it first. Make sure all open vaccum sources are plugged and connected. LATSLY, adjust the idle air screw. Have him drive it around for a few hours, it will help "calm it down".
Old 07-27-2005, 10:53 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: High idle when clutch is depressed and car rolling? (Diseased Dreams)

He said that the throttle cable was good and that wasnt sticking and also the idle was decent idle at about 1000 rpms. Also he was not getting a CEL. He was thinking that the TPS voltages could be wrong but its a pretty weird problem. I havent messed with the car today myself but maybe tomorrow and Im trying to gather up some ideas on what to check out. I havent really ever experienced a problem like this and neither has my friend.

Oh by the way he was a Acura tech at a dealership and never encountered a problem like this one he is having.
Old 07-28-2005, 10:38 AM
Honda-Tech Member

bump it up a little need a few more replies

Also today he is working on it a little more. Still doing the same thing but today he actually reved it till he got into vtec and that worked but the engine cut out after getting into vtec and he had it full throttle. The problem is still there where it will not idle down till he comes to a complete stop. He is still not getting any CEL's but he can start the car up and blip the throttle and it will stumble but it will recover. What could it be we are stumped???

Modified by ringgold at 1:51 PM 7/28/2005
Old 07-28-2005, 11:53 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Well I just went over ther myself and messed with the car. I unplugged the IACV and the car wouldnt idle but it didnt rev high when coming to a stop so that could be a culprit of the high idle when coming to a stop. The other problem is it stumbles when it hits vtec pretty bad. Not sure what that could be since the car still isnt getting any CEL's. Come one someone has had to have experienced these problems before
Old 07-28-2005, 11:56 AM
Honda-Tech Member

hey i was thinking that the stumble under full throttle might be due to the tps being out of range. maybe, i'll check it out later. talk to you later.
Old 07-28-2005, 12:03 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: High idle when clutch is depressed and car rolling? (sleepyEK)

hey look who it is the owner of the troubled car!! We will get this figured out Im sure
Old 07-28-2005, 01:48 PM
Honda-Tech Member

bump for i can't figure it out.
Old 07-29-2005, 01:25 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Well we worked on the car a little tonight and swapped out the IACV with the one that was on my car. It actually acted a little better wouldnt idle as high while rolling. We looked for a vacuum leak and didnt find one tonight. The car was idling a little high about 1000 rpms or a little higher then I just disconnected the IAB's and the idle died down to around 500rpms or lower and it wanted to idle up and down slowly. We never could get the idle back up tonight which we thought was a little weird it wanted to stay low even with adjusting the idle screw. We are kinda stumped on this problem. Like I said before I disconnected the IACV and got him to drive it up the street earlier today and it didnt do the weird idle thing while rolling rather the engine wanted to die. Also it never throws a CEL which is a little confusing and makes me want to believe that there is a vacuum problem.

Anyways as far as the stumble when it would go into vtec he fixed that and that problem was the TPS sensor out of adjustment.
Old 07-29-2005, 10:52 AM
Honda-Tech Member

bump for any heads that might have some advice.
Old 08-08-2005, 11:13 PM
Honda-Tech Member

bump for this problem
Old 08-09-2005, 01:41 AM
Honda-Tech Member

check for a broken throttle body gasket, then set the correct voltage on the tps. this is what had happened to me recently.
Old 08-09-2005, 10:03 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: High idle when clutch is depressed and car rolling? (9 3 d e l s o l)

Yeah the tb gasket is one thing we havent checked but plan on it. His TPS sensor voltage should be right but we can always check it again.