Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

High compression valves? please explain

Old 04-15-2006, 03:35 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default High compression valves? please explain

hello,

Whats the benefit of high compression valves? If i get high comp valves, do i need to do any other upgrades.

FYI: stock b16a3 motor.
-going to get head ported, and getting a good deal on skunk parts. I will put in skunk2 camgears, skunk2 camshafts stage 1, valve springs, retainers.

So will high comp valves work with the other mods.
And what does compression do?

thanks
Old 04-15-2006, 03:39 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

This is a whole lot to answer.

When compression is added to an engine, peak power wil go up, assuming you can add extra fuel and timing to motor and the octane that youre using is adequate.
Old 04-15-2006, 03:43 PM

Default Re: (LsVtec92Hatch)

thanks, but can u explain it too me in basic english.
Old 04-15-2006, 05:13 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Are you serious?

Compression is the volume of space inside a single cylinder when the piston is at bottom dead center, divided by the volume of space inside a single cylinder when the piston is at top dead center. So if your compression ratio is 10:1, your compressing the air/fuel that was in the cylinder 10 times over.

The higher compression you have, the more pressure will develop inside the cylinder. Sometimes if your compression is too high, the fuel will ignite on its own, before the spark plug fires, thats whats known as pre ignition. So you would have to switch to a higher rated octane fuel, or retard your timing and enrichen the fuel mixture.

The more pressure you have inside a cylinder, the more potential for power assuming, as i stated above, the octane of fuel that you are using can handle the extra work load you are placing upon it. You will also have to add extra fuel, by either some sort of fuel controller, or increasing fuel pressure.
Old 04-15-2006, 06:25 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (redhanyo)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by redhanyo &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">thanks, but can u explain it too me in basic english.</TD></TR></TABLE>

I cannot imagine how you can possibly not understand.

higher compression = more power

Considering the fact that you must add more fuel and ignition timing. If you do not use high enough octane fuel, you will preignite, which is bad for your motor.

That's probably as basic as anyone can possibly explain it to you, if you don't get it, I'm concerned that you are modifying a car.

Old 04-15-2006, 06:39 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I think what he MIGHT mean is how do the high compression valves affect the engine, and does he need anything else to get them to work...

I think that's what he means anyways...
Old 04-15-2006, 08:42 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: High compression valves? please explain (redhanyo)

you shouldn't have to do any extra upgrades,the only diff. is high comp's are flat faced and the stocks are dished slightly. i dont think it would raise the compression to much
Old 04-15-2006, 09:05 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Syndacate)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Syndacate &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I think what he MIGHT mean is how do the high compression valves affect the engine, and does he need anything else to get them to work...

I think that's what he means anyways...</TD></TR></TABLE>

He should still understand the concept of compression if he is going to be installing high-compression valves.

I would never install anything onto my car that I do not thoroughly understand the function of, but maybe that is just me.
Old 04-16-2006, 07:37 AM
Honda-Tech Member

well I don't know

I know hwat compression is, I know how it works, but I don't know how high compression valves work O.o - but if certain people told me I needed them for building an engine a certain way I'd put 'em in anyways

I mean valves don't have moving parts, they're pretty one step like...I don't know how a high compression valve works, I'd assume it'd have to be flat instead of rounded like the other guy said which would raise the compression in the cylinder...but by VERY little....so other than that I got no idea how high compression valves differ from normal ones other than the VERY VERY slight compression gain u'd use by displacing it further in with a flat end....
Old 04-16-2006, 08:22 AM
Honda-Tech Member

The valve face is flat insted of dished like OEM pistons. Takes up more space in the combustion chamber.
Old 04-16-2006, 09:05 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Syndacate &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">well I don't know

I know hwat compression is, I know how it works, but I don't know how high compression valves work O.o - but if certain people told me I needed them for building an engine a certain way I'd put 'em in anyways

I mean valves don't have moving parts, they're pretty one step like...I don't know how a high compression valve works, I'd assume it'd have to be flat instead of rounded like the other guy said which would raise the compression in the cylinder...but by VERY little....so other than that I got no idea how high compression valves differ from normal ones other than the VERY VERY slight compression gain u'd use by displacing it further in with a flat end....</TD></TR></TABLE>

Yeah, that's basically how it works. It's simple. It's flat rather than dished, therefore giving less space in the combustion chamber, raising the compression up slightly.
Old 04-16-2006, 10:27 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Sh!ttyLS)

anyidea on about how much compression it would bump. I would assume no more then .1
Old 04-16-2006, 12:18 PM
Honda-Tech Member

.3 in most applications.
Old 04-16-2006, 12:25 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Syndacate &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
I know hwat compression is, I know how it works</TD></TR></TABLE>

Thats not what you said in another thread on the same topic...

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Syndacate &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
thanks, but i want to understand. whats the benefit of higher than stock compression.
what does compression do? </TD></TR></TABLE>
Old 04-16-2006, 05:24 PM

so, would just installing high comp valves REQUIRE me to use higher octane or fuel something controller like you said?
Old 04-16-2006, 05:37 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (redhanyo)

on a b16 with the flat valves it will only raise the compression to .3 more. so you'll probably be around 10.5:1. that will be okay to run 91 oct still. there are ppl with 12:1 comp still running pump gas.
Old 04-16-2006, 07:52 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by LsVtec92Hatch &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

Thats not what you said in another thread on the same topic...

</TD></TR></TABLE>

Link me, that doesn't seem like something I would say at all....I've always understood compression, and I wouldn't use proper punctuation to seperate sentences like that, link, link, link.

QUoting me wrong is one thing, fixing fake quotes is something else...GIVE ME A LINK TO THE POST oh wait, lemme guess u "can't find it now", right?
Old 04-16-2006, 09:16 PM
Honda-Tech Member

1am bump, link plz
Old 04-16-2006, 10:20 PM
Honda-Tech Member

You are correct, it was redhanyo i meant to quote my mistake, i got you two noob's mixed up. My sincerest apologies.

But at the end of the day i understand what the differences between flat faced valves and dished valves are.
Old 04-17-2006, 08:39 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Yeah me too, I was just asking if that was the only difference they made (the tiny compression change), I mean it's something, it's cheaper than sleeving it, gut it's not gonna give u 40hp..

To quote, you click the "quote" button, to make one up, you type it out...the quote button doesn't mess up, typing does...

Don't make fake quotes about me next time plz ~ appreciated..