Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

high compression sohc

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2008, 05:04 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default high compression sohc

What's the highest you can go when it comes to compression on a sohc 1.6 vtec, I think the engine is d16z6, I found a high compression package at ebay which will rise comp. to mid 11's or high 12's. How much compression is safe using just bolt ons, I just want it a little faster, no matter if I have to use 91 octane gas, which is what's available here.
Old 03-18-2008, 05:57 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Location: Standing on the corner selling cocaine, rippin shows live on stage for hoes yellin my name
Default Re: high compression sohc (meanshyguy)

There is so many things wrong with your post I don't know where to start. I never heard of a high compression package. Sounds like someone is about to blow a load in your mouth. The only way compression is going to be raised is by, a piston change, head milling, headgasket change. If your car is relatively stock, with the usual bolt-ons, and you only wanna use 91. Then don't go over 11.5:1. I would buy a set of pistons from a reputable company of vendor of the site. I am not too fond of ebay parts. If you ever wanna boost the car your gonna wanna switch out the pistons for sure. Now would be a good time to rethink exactly what you want to do with your car and what direction you wanna go in before you commit to a motor build.
Old 03-19-2008, 02:12 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: high compression sohc (JDMThoughts)

Thanks, I know exactly what you're talking about cuz I also have a prelude with high compression all motor, just wanted to know how high to go on a civic with pump gas, I figured out it wouldn't be the same . You answered my question so I appreciate it bro!!! Ohh, and the package comes with higher compression pistons, racing rod bearings and some gaskets and I don't know what else, It seems like a deal for $350.
Old 03-19-2008, 03:31 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Location: Standing on the corner selling cocaine, rippin shows live on stage for hoes yellin my name
Default Re: high compression sohc (meanshyguy)

racing rod bearings? Just use OEM, OEM stuff works, works really well. I would use Honda bearings over clevite or any other company. If you want higher compression, spend the 300 dollars on pistons and rings for them in the next size up bore. You aren't going to need new gaskets and bearings. If you wanna beef up the bottom end more you can use ARP rod bolts and head studs. Other than that you shouldn't need much since your not gonna be going ape **** on the build.
Old 03-19-2008, 04:31 PM
Man U FTW

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm sorry, but an NA SOHC to me is a HUGE waste of time. The ONLY way to make a single cam fast/quick is by boosting it. On stock internals you can safely make 220-240whp with a good setup and tune.
Old 03-19-2008, 05:01 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Schister66)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Schister66 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I'm sorry, but an NA SOHC to me is a HUGE waste of time. The ONLY way to make a single cam fast/quick is by boosting it. On stock internals you can safely make 220-240whp with a good setup and tune. </TD></TR></TABLE>

I agree with you 100%. I wouldn't bother going NA with a SOHC, but if that is what he wants then who are we to stop him. I wouldn't say that you couldn't make a D-series relatively quick NA, it's just going to cost more to do it that way.
Old 03-19-2008, 05:41 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (JDMThoughts)

I know it's a waste of time, well it's my daily driver, nice on gas, I just wanted to make it a little quicker, I already got a prelude that's already a little fast, I just wanted to get a little more out of this engine, I head you can boost up to 6 lb of boost on stock internals with this engine, how much hp would I be looking at and what else would be needed other than the turbo kit, turbos sound awesome!!
Old 03-20-2008, 01:30 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (meanshyguy)

You can definitely boost up to more than 6lbs. http://forums.evans-tuning.com...=2860
http://forums.evans-tuning.com...3bc50

This first link is a guy I know from the track who trucks in an EF and beats that car everyday no problems. The second link is a list of many D-series cars he has done in turbo configuration. As you can see it's very easy to have a 250whp turbo car running 91 pump all day long. Boost pressure can be higher than 10psi as long as the tuning is spot on . A lot of people say 10psi is the limit, but I know people who have pushed as much as 15psi on their setups and have had zero problems. Decide how much power you really need to have, because the work involved with going high comp is gonna get you boosted. I would say you could piece a kit together for 2g easy. I am sure there is some guys on here who have done it for like 200 dollars and a 30pk of Natural Ice and a pack of bubble gum, after all is said and done spending about 500 on parts and to have someone dissassemble and machine and reassemble your looking at about 1000. Your almost on your way to being boosted, and you will have went up an easy 100hp instead of going up 10hp. This is where going turbo on your D-series is more cost effective in the means of getting the most power for the dollar. Good luck with whatever you decide.
Old 03-20-2008, 01:46 PM
Man U FTW

Whoever told you that you can boost "up to 6psi on stock internals" obviously does not have a lot of experience with turbo setups. The dead giveaway sign is that the engine is judged in terms of PSI rather than power. With a stock D, you can safely make 220-240whp on stock internals with a good tune and setup.

IMO rather than wasting a grand on an NA build for a few whp, look into a cheap HMT style turbo build and pick up some serious power instead. Once i boosted my GSR, i would never consider another NA Honda.
Old 03-20-2008, 03:15 PM
Honda-Tech Member

awesome, thanks a lot guys, I'm boosting the civic, I'll probably go with 10 psi.
Old 03-20-2008, 03:19 PM
Man U FTW

Again, like i just said, PSI doesn't mean a thing. Research and build a setup that fits your goals...be sure you pick a properly sized turbo and shoot for the 220-240whp range at most. The only limitation on PSI is that you can only run 11psi on the stock MAP sensor.

Dont limit your thinking to PSI...
Old 03-20-2008, 03:56 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I just don't wanna blow the engine with stock internals, that's all
Old 03-20-2008, 04:43 PM
Man U FTW

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by meanshyguy &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I just don't wanna blow the engine with stock internals, that's all</TD></TR></TABLE>

And that's understandable...just know what you're talking about so that you dont blow your engine or worse, sound like an idiot.

220-240whp
<u>NOT PSI</U>
Old 03-20-2008, 06:20 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Please view the links I provided. There shows a few setups with stock bottoms. It's all in the hands of your tuner. If you have access to a great tuner then 10psi might be able to be exceeded. I think anything more than 300whp is plenty on the street. You would have a hard time making it stick. Shoot for 250whp, thats a plenty to move on out with. You obviously don't seem like the person who is looking to blaze any records with your power aspirations.
Old 03-21-2008, 02:03 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (JDMThoughts)

Unfortunately there's just a couple of tuners here where I live, maybe just one, I hope they do a good job whenever they do my turbo setup. I think 250whp sounds like fun, I'm not trying to compete against everybody I pull next to, but it sure will be a fun car to drive. What would I be looking at at the 1/4 mile with 250whp? Just curious!
Old 03-21-2008, 03:00 PM
Honda-Tech Member

High 12s with slicks. You should contact Tony at T1 Race development, he is in texas and should be plenty capable of helping you out with your tuning and turbo setup.