Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

HID's soon to be ilegal?

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2003, 11:14 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default HID's soon to be ilegal?

the following is emailed from one of my friends. he's pretty pissed about it...

"It is our regret to inform you that as of August 15th, 2003, the sale and importation of aftermarket HID retrofit systems will most likely be altered significantly. The NHTSA/DOT has been trying to introduce new laws to regulate the sale of HID retrofit kits. Their guidelines on determining the legality of HID kits are antiquated at best and include filament locations. Because HID technology does not utilize a filament, they will always fail. No matter how high quality the kit is, they deem them as unfit for retrofit.
These regulatory changes and/or enforcement will effect ALL HID kit sales. On or about 8/15/2003, HID kits as you know it will never be sold again unless new laws or changes to existing regulations are made. I'm sure there are all types of legal issues here. To our knowledge, after 8/15/03, there will be a possible $5,000 fine PER DAY for manufacturers selling HID kits. "

what thinks everyone? likely or not.
Old 07-28-2003, 11:16 AM

Default Re: HID's soon to be ilegal? (phantom_sol)

Ya, it will happen... You ever been behind a ******* BMW at night.. JEESUS CHRIST its so bright...

**** HID.

*wishes i had HID*
Old 07-28-2003, 11:17 AM
This user can set his title.

Hey, you should really go check out the GDD forum cause there's like 10 post about this already. Although, I'm not sure if it was posted in here or not.

Anyway, it is highly unlikely this will happen and it just sounds like their trying to clear inventory.
Old 07-28-2003, 11:27 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: HID's soon to be ilegal? (DIY_Racing)

It's not regarding OEM HID equipped cars. Its for the businesses that are selling "kits" for halogen applications. This only further proves why people shouldn't be throwing HID's into halogen housings no matter what they think.
Do it the right way, and you'll have no worries
Old 07-28-2003, 11:35 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: HID's soon to be ilegal? (ill_take_one)

what exactly are the differences in reflective vs hid housings? other than whats equipped by factory. does it project the light differnetly?
Old 07-28-2003, 01:02 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by phantom_sol &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">what exactly are the differences in reflective vs hid housings? other than whats equipped by factory. does it project the light differnetly?</TD></TR></TABLE>

OEM hid housings (projector or reflector) are designed for HID bulbs. Optics are everything, in HID lamps and halogen lamps. If you throw HID bulbs in a halogen housing, output is 99% of the time going to suck compared to an OEM HID housing.
Lots of R & D has been put into designing the optics of OEM HID setups.

The best way to go about throwing in HID's into almost any car, is to retrofit them with OEM HID projectors (like what i did. check my sig for a link)
This way you'll get the same OEM HID cutoff, output and color...without blinding anyone.

Also, the price for retrofitting is about the same as most of these so-called "kits" that you just throw in your halogen housings.

My bro retroed BMW(bosch) projectors, hella ballasts, and philips bulbs in his 00 SI for aroun $350 (used parts of course).
Old 07-28-2003, 01:06 PM

actualy there already illegal in IL but its abig grey area becuase your not aloud to mod your lights but than theres a law that says you can mod them with factory equpment like bimmer hid into a civic its a crapy law and no cop pulls you over for it
Old 07-28-2003, 01:07 PM

Default Re: HID's soon to be ilegal? (DIY_Racing)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by DIY_Racing &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Ya, it will happen... You ever been behind a ******* BMW at night.. JEESUS CHRIST its so bright...

**** HID.

*wishes i had HID*</TD></TR></TABLE>

you mean in front of a BMW at night. and yes its annoying. and trucks with HIDS are worst. aren't escalades HID's??
Old 07-28-2003, 01:09 PM

Default Re: HID's soon to be ilegal? (tonesdef)

welp......im gonna still run around with an HID kit in my civic or integra. yessssss i am

also it doesnt make sense that they can fine these companies - some companies sell products that arent legal on the street yet all they do is put a FOR OFF-ROAD USE ONLY warning on them and they are OK to sell........dont see why the HID companies cant do the same and theyd be just fine - up to the cops to pull people over at that point if its such a big deal.
Old 07-28-2003, 01:17 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: HID's soon to be ilegal? (slowEJ6)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by slowEJ6 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">welp......im gonna still run around with an HID kit in my civic or integra. yessssss i am </TD></TR></TABLE>

I am right there wit ya! HID's all the WAY!
Old 07-28-2003, 01:29 PM

Depends on the cops, not so much the "area". Some cops are into imports or w/e. I got pulled over for doing 124 down a highway here in IL(53/355) next to a porsha 911 TT. Cop shined his light on us bothing signaling to pull us over, and we did. He laughed at me and reminded me i was driving a honda, and that the other guy had a porsha.

Now thats a cool cop
Old 07-28-2003, 01:57 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: HID's soon to be ilegal? (kwik2nec)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by kwik2nec &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

aren't escalades HID's??</TD></TR></TABLE>

I know the newer ones have them. not sure if they are an option or standard equip.
I have to agree, SUV's with HID's is especially harsh on the eyes. More-so when your car is lowered too
Old 07-28-2003, 01:59 PM
Honda-Tech Member

i love my HID's..

i hate the fact that i no longer have high beams tho.
Old 07-28-2003, 02:06 PM

Default Re: (teh_zyk)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by teh_zyk &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Depends on the cops, not so much the "area". Some cops are into imports or w/e. I got pulled over for doing 124 down a highway here in IL(53/355) next to a porsha 911 TT. Cop shined his light on us bothing signaling to pull us over, and we did. He laughed at me and reminded me i was driving a honda, and that the other guy had a porsha.

Now thats a cool cop </TD></TR></TABLE>

that's cool
Old 07-28-2003, 02:55 PM

thats a crock of ****
who can regulate that kinda ****
Old 07-28-2003, 03:18 PM
can I haz?

Default Re: (teh_zyk)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by teh_zyk &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Depends on the cops, not so much the "area". Some cops are into imports or w/e. I got pulled over for doing 124 down a highway here in IL(53/355) next to a porsha 911 TT. Cop shined his light on us bothing signaling to pull us over, and we did. He laughed at me and reminded me i was driving a honda, and that the other guy had a porsha.

Now thats a cool cop </TD></TR></TABLE>
wow must be one of them new cars huh. got any pics of that porsha, i have never seen one myself.
Old 07-29-2003, 11:10 AM
Honda-Tech Member

how would you wire a bi-xenon kit. those are for the high and low beams right? i found projector housing balasts and bulbs but none of them are bi-xenon
Old 07-29-2003, 11:39 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (phantom_sol)

ITs quite easy...

Just wire the lowbeams to your lowbeam wireharness and the high beam syllinoid to the high beam harness. Problem is, is that the lows need to stay on with the high beams, because for the highs, its just a shield that moves

They are harder to find, but ebay does have some that appear on there once and awhile.
Old 07-29-2003, 01:42 PM
Honda-Tech Member

question, my car doesnt use two different bulbs for high and low beam. when i flick on the highbeams, the low beams go out. the only way to keep the filiments on at the same time (h4 bulb) is to hold the lever back and keep it there so that it doesnt *click*. is there any way to get around this? or am i stuck with low beams forever. cause they way it sounds, if i wire the hid bulb to my low beams and then the high beams are wired to what the second filament would be wired to, when i flick on the highbeams, the driving lights will turn off, but the shield will move. am i confusing everyone or just myself?

high beam on = low beam off

with hid:
high beam on = shield move=low beam off
Old 07-29-2003, 05:48 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by phantom_sol &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">question, my car doesnt use two different bulbs for high and low beam. when i flick on the highbeams, the low beams go out. the only way to keep the filiments on at the same time (h4 bulb) is to hold the lever back and keep it there so that it doesnt *click*. is there any way to get around this? or am i stuck with low beams forever. cause they way it sounds, if i wire the hid bulb to my low beams and then the high beams are wired to what the second filament would be wired to, when i flick on the highbeams, the driving lights will turn off, but the shield will move. am i confusing everyone or just myself?

high beam on = low beam off

with hid:
high beam on = shield move=low beam off</TD></TR></TABLE>\

Totally know what you mean. I don't have separate bulbs for high/low (well i do have halogen high beams with the denji projectors, but i didnt hook them up)

with my bi-xenons, there is only one bulb in each side. Then, there is a MOVABLE shield inside the projectors that moves when i hit the switch. I had the same trouble as you. my lows would shut off when i wanted to actuate the high beam shield..

Now the thing is, i got a wiring harness with the Denji projectors. But it was missing a "diode" (spelling). From what i've learned, this part helps the lows stay on with the highs. I never did get one, or found out how to get one, so i rigged a separate switch for the high beams.

In your case, i'm somewhat confused. Do you have any pictures or links i could see to try and help you out?
Maybe the shield should be wired to the high beam wires, and lose the high beam filament of the bulb?
I guess some picts would help
Hopefully i pointed you in the right direction somewhat
Old 07-29-2003, 06:00 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (ill_take_one)

Whoa wait a bit...

You're telling me that your H4 is a dual filament bulb (HID)??
It isnt...its basically the same setup that i have...right?
Old 07-29-2003, 06:04 PM
Honda-Tech Member

i'm sorry i dont have links or pics, but keeping in mind i currently have h4's. actually, stock is h4, but hid doesnt use filament. h4 (9003?) have two filaments in the bulb. now, theres three wires going to the lightbulb itself. positive, positive (high) and negative (acting neg for both). when the low beams are on, theres one hot wire, now when i pull the switch back, there are two live filaments, but once i "click" it all the way back, the low beams turn off and the higher output filament takes over.

if the positive were hooked up to the shield on an hid, it would move the shield but again the lows would kick off. i think it might be imnpossible for me unless i just wire an external switch for high beams.
not a big deal

actually i have a question for you. what are denji projectors?

and good news.... you have pointed me in the right direction to retro fit, i just these off of ebay:
2 xenon ballasts removed from a 2002 infiniti I30, 2 hella xenon projectors with philips d2s bulbs that where removed from a 2002 bmw 530i

i dunno if it was a good deal or not, but either way, comparing with normal hid 'kits' that are illegal this is much better, plus with the custom fab, i can be one of the very few del sols that have projection headlights. unfortunately only low beams. but from what i hear i wont need high beams too often. also i have re outfitted new foglights into the factory foglight holes in front bumper. they use the h3 bulb instead of a dinky 1157 turn signal bulb (stock had no function) so if only i could figure out a way to usde those as highbeams....possibilities :D
this post has definately been helpful. and i think it will be a fun project, high beam or not
Old 07-29-2003, 06:09 PM

Default Re:

My dad's cadillac has hid lights, and i think that they are better for seeing at night, whenever i'm driving his car, i can see a lot further than when i'm not. besides, if they bother you that much, you should consider turning your rear view mirror to that night thing, where you don't see the lights.
Old 07-29-2003, 06:13 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Gotcha...

My denji projectors are aftermarket headlamps with low beam projectors (i swapped in my bi's for those) and reflector high beams (that i'm not using at all)

Check my other thread...this should help a bit
https://honda-tech.com/zerothread?id=495898

Yeah, you'll either need a separate switch like what i have, or find out if you can wire a diode into the harness...

Trust me, high beams are necessary. Well, maybe not so much if you stay in the city all the time, but when you do a lot of out of town driving, they ARE necessary. Why do you think all OEM HID equipped cars have halogen or HID high beams as well? Because they ARE needed no matter what anyone says.

Do some reading in that thread and get back to me
Old 07-29-2003, 06:31 PM
Honda-Tech Member

yeah I'm selling my HID's, I'm duct taping a midget with a flash light to my hood to prove a point, but I don't what point yet..F#*& those damn new laws

Quick Reply: HID's soon to be ilegal?